Hyperion TC

Email groups are fine but I rarely check email, Webboards quite handy, and if needed I am sure I could setup a webboard similar to this (YaBB instead of uBB) which would make a nice place for chatting, posting thoughts/suggestions/ideas and everything else, and it would be easier for those that can't use IRC to chat on our channel on ambrosia's IRC server (to which the shell I have been running the channels IRC bot off of isn't very stable so I have to keep restarting the bot)

------------------

Originally posted by Shade18:
**Email groups are fine but I rarely check email, Webboards quite handy, ... <snip>

My thoughts exactly. I do check my e-mail daily, but I just think it would be much better if we could keep everything together in one place. It's easier to keep track of things, organise, etc. than when everyone keeps a bunch of stuff on their own computer. Also, other people who want to make a contribution or suggest something can do so more easily, which is usually a good thing.
(Never heard of YaBB, BTW. Can you send me a link?)

------------------
"Choose again."

some minor updates:

1. Came up with one more Ouster capital warship, to fill in a gap in the (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cell23/hyperion4evn/ships.html")ship list(/url).

2. Added three more worlds to the (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cell23/hyperion4evn/worlds.html")planet list(/url). I'm going to recycle some worlds from an EV plug I once made but never finished or released, and maybe a couple from EV/O and other games/books/movies too. The rest we'll just have to make up - I still welcome any and all suggestions.

I've also been working on a better layout for the site (= with a decent menu) too, will upload a page soon (I hope).

------------------
"Choose again."

(This message has been edited by Curwen (edited 05-28-2002).)

(url="http://"http://www.yabb.info/")http://www.yabb.info/(/url)

------------------

OK, update time. Sorry for the delay, been too busy IRL. But I made a start with the website: (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/cell23/hyperiontc/")http://homepage.mac....l23/hyperiontc/(/url)

(EDIT)
OK, I seem to have used some coding that doesn't work as it should, because the popups that are supposed to open when you click on a ship name don't open in Omniweb. Duh, I guess that's what you get when you're lazy and you let wysiwyg software write your HTML :frown: or maybe it's just the browser itself that's acting up. I'll look into this asap.
In the meanwhile, try IE - that works. Haven't checked with NS yet.
(/EDIT)

Right now only the Shipyard has some content (but no stats on the ships yet, since we still have to make those :)), take a look and let me know what you think of it. Is this a workable structure?

I took the liberty of changing the ship list a bit by adding some ships. The Ouster Intruder would be a small, versatile craft for special missions & covert ops of all sorts (maybe with limited cloaking abilities?), the rest is fairly self-explanatory I think.
Some further comments will be added soon.

As for the pirates, I just couldn't leave them out :). What would EV be without pirates? Following up on earlier posts, maybe we shouldn't actually call them "pirates", but the galaxy sure has room for plenty of small pîrate-like factions: smugglers, SDF's (Sel-Defence Force) from far-off independent worlds gone bad, descendants of the troops that served under Glennon-Height and were never tracked down by FORCE after his defeat (they will have some hidden bases of their own by now, no doubt), some oldfashioned union-like groups like the Association of Free Traders, some marauding privateers thrown in for good measure, etc...
I always thought we never saw enough of the Hegemony's dark side, heh.
The pirate ship names should explain everything if you've played previous EV's, so I won't elaborate on those. Basically, they would mostly be souped-up small fighters, freighters and some custom-built light capital ships, kind of like the Kestrel in the EVO Babylon 5 plugin, or the EVN Manticore (but not as powerful).

Next thing to be updated will be the world list.

I took a look at YaBB; looks pretty interesting. BTW, Shade18, if you can find a place to set up a small web board, maybe we can host the site there, too? I'm too paranoid to allow others access to my mac.com account, but too nice not to share this site, so... 🙂

CeRD: I've been sketching all the time (well, often - mostly at work, heh heh), have some ideas but nothing definitive yet, first I want to finish the basic setup (universe, ship stats...) but feel free to come up with some designs yourself - what I saw on your site looked pretty good. Certainly better than what I can do in 3D at the moment.

best,
Curwen

------------------
"Choose again."

(This message has been edited by Curwen (edited 06-06-2002).)

when you get some good scetches made up upload them...i'd like to have a look at what you have in mind

CeRD

------------------
(url="http://"http://CeRD.total-x.org")This is my happy little site!(/url) | | Cheer up...the worst is yet to come.

All sounds good, and as to YaBB, it couldn't be run on a mac.com site anyway, it requires mysql and php to run (a good shell account in most cases)

------------------

looks like we're stuck here for now.

CeRD

------------------
(url="http://"http://CeRD.total-x.org")This is my happy little site!(/url) | | Cheer up...the worst is yet to come.

Originally posted by CeRD:
**looks like we're stuck here for now.

We can still put up a small board on MyIb (link is somewhere in one of my previous posts I think). It's free, only we'll have to put up with an ad or two. I'll look into it.

In the meanwhile I've only added all the worlds from the books to the new world list (no additional data on those yet, though) and will soon add some of the other worlds I came up with too. Suggestions are still welcome - if you've always wanted a star/planet named after yourself, this is your chance :).

Quick suggestion concerning governments:
do you think we should put all Web worlds under the "Hegemony" gövt, or should we give them all their own government (except perhaps TC2 and some others which more or less form the central seat of government) and make them allies to the Hegemony?
I've never experimented with this enough to know how it might affect your overall legal standing with the Hegemony when you do something good/bad, but it might make the game more interesting... it would certainly increase the opportunities for introducing some subplots at a later stage.

------------------
"Choose again."

Hyperion? With the EVN Engine? Sounds like a killer app to me.

First, let me say that I would love to help with the creative writting stuff (missions, oütf and shďp dësc's etc.), but have no time, skill or equipment for graphics. Also, I haven't read the 3rd and 4th books, but I loved the first two (besides, you're concentrating on Hyperion anyway, right?)

Some things that I've thought of:

1. The "hawking drive" idea is good, but having 2-6 empty jumps between systems will eat up your s˙st resources real quick and make the galaxy a lot smaller. I don't have any way to fix this (yet).

2. Berhaps you could make missions available in the "BBS" that, using the NOVA engine, transport you to another planet in order to simulate planet-side farcasting. These could have negative pay to charge you for farcster use.

3. I like the idea of little pre-game intro's to the "destruction" of Old Earth and such. Maybe you could do that with starting the player on an "Old Earth" that cannot be hyperjumped to (ala S7evyn) and having a little expository "mission" that transports you into the future and to another planet.

4. Maybe you could pull a "New England" trick and manufacture planets by just making "New (name of city/country)" or maybe in other languages (I speak Japanese, if that helps. We could have some good cross-lingual easter eggs).

Like I said, I'd be more than happy to help out, and if not, I look forward to your plug/

-Virgil

p.s. Those landing pics look awsome! If the ships look half s good you'll put NOVA to shame.

------------------
ARMA VIRVMQUE CANO
-Aeneid
Book I

(This message has been edited by Virgil (edited 06-19-2002).)

Quick suggestion concerning governments:
do you think we should put all Web worlds under the "Hegemony" gövt, or should we give them all their own government (except perhaps TC2 and some others which more or less form the central seat of government) and make them allies to the Hegemony?
I've never experimented with this enough to know how it might affect your overall legal standing with the Hegemony when you do something good/bad, but it might make the game more interesting... it would certainly increase the opportunities for introducing some subplots at a later stage.

Hmm, Well the main makeup of the Hegony was Colony worlds, protectorates, etc.., maybe the true colony worlds with farcaster access and such could be "Hegemony" government, while just protectorate (Bressia anyone?) could be Hegemony Protectorate" government? or something like that, then they could easily be tied together, if you attack a hegemony protectorate you are not liked by the hegemony. And plain indepents could be independants?, or possibly have their own government if influential enough.

I think having certain missions where you "take the farcaster" and it transports you to another system and possibly gives - pay to act as if you paid for use of the farcaster network (unless you have a rank which gives you free farcaster use, ala kassad after he graduated and got his force-issued universal card) would be good

------------------

A comment on Curwen's site: Garden was home to the marsh centaurs.

Have that jungle place that was known only by it's New Galactic Code (or something like that) number where Raul and Aenea and friends went. Mare Infinitus is a moon orbiting a terrestrial giant. There are two other moons, probably uninhabited.

What exactly is it like outside the Hive on Lusus?

A comment on Farcasters.

Maybe you should have to buy a card to use it. And the card expires after a while.

------------------
In the beginning was the Turtle. And this guy spoke "Let it be thrown in thy swimming pool"

(This message has been edited by Yamamanama (edited 06-22-2002).)

I haven't been able to do much in the past week (only corrected some bad links on the site), but OK - here we go:

Originally posted by Curwen:
**We can still put up a small board on MyIb (link is somewhere in one of my previous posts I think). It's free, only we'll have to put up with an ad or two. I'll look into it.

I checked this; apparently MyIb is still in beta, and when you sign up you get a warning that they don't guarantee that anything you put up there won't be lost or deleted if necessary. Hardly seems the right place for what we are trying to do, so we better stay here and do as much as we can by e-mail, after all.

Originally posted by Virgil:
**1) The "hawking drive" idea is good, but having 2-6 empty jumps between systems will eat up your s˙st resources real quick and make the galaxy a lot smaller. I don't have any way to fix this (yet).

I've just checked the EVN Bible, and the max number of systems is indeed lower than I thought (not that I'm complaining, Matt :)). We'll have to use the other tricks (make navigation more bothersome, like in Auroran space, use the Hawking drive outfits to increase jump times, and perhaps add some navigation hazards like black holes and corrosive dust clouds, ŕ la Frozen Heart...?)

(And yes, we're concentrating on the first two books for this plug, since the galaxy has changed a lot in the other ones. Maybe there will be an Endymion plug too, later on, but don't hold your breath just yet)

**2) Berhaps you could make missions available in the "BBS" that, using the NOVA engine, transport you to another planet in order to simulate planet-side farcasting. These could have negative pay to charge you for farcster use.

I don't know if that's done very much, other than for military purposes. If you have a big bulk delivery to make, it's easier to use a ground-based industrial-capacity farcaster - there's no reason for sending it into space first.

It's a useful idea for specific missions though, i.e. when you're working for FORCE, they could allow you to make use of their farcaster facilities in this way, for instance to send you off to intercept an imminent Ouster attack without giving you time to prepare for it and leisurely make your way to the destination system when you're ready and feel up to it - as I often did in EV/O :).

The expiring farcaster card Yamamanama suggested is also a nice addition.

**I like the idea of little pre-game intro's to the "destruction" of Old Earth and such. Maybe you could do that with starting the player on an "Old Earth" that cannot be hyperjumped to (ala S7evyn) and having a little expository "mission" that transports you into the future and to another planet.

Well, we could have the player shipped off on the same ship Martin Silenus leaves Earth in, and have him kept on ice a bit longer afterwards, or get some money after a long legal battle with the bank that absorbed his centuries-old account and get some Poulsen treatments and a pilot training (shuttle included). It's worth considering...

Maybe you could pull a "New England" trick and manufacture planets by just making "New (name of city/country)" or maybe in other languages (I speak Japanese, if that helps. We could have some good cross-lingual easter eggs). (...) Like I said, I'd be more than happy to help out, and if not, I look forward to your plug
(B)

You're more than welcome to contribute.
And do go read the Endymion books too, they're well worth it.

(b)Those landing pics look awsome! If the ships look half s good you'll put NOVA to shame.
(B)

For the planet-based farcasters: What about the big Market Street/ River Tethys (sp?) which use farcasters to cross worlds? You could have missions with 100% availability on those planets that simply said "walk to (name of next planet)" and charged you money (you can do that with Novatools). You wouldn't have to go overboared with the planetside farcasters, just some of the more noticable ones.

------------------
ARMA VIRVMQUE CANO
-Aeneid
Book I

i think that virgil has a good idea...

CeRD

------------------

Originally posted by CeRD:
**i think that virgil has a good idea...

It is a good idea, I only doubt whether it is possible to do this. The only example I've seen is when you complete a major mission string in Nova and you are transported to s7evyn: you finish the last mission, take off (maybe this was done automatically, I can't remember) and you end up orbiting Our Spiel.

I've just given the Nova Bible a quick check, but I haven't seen any indication that you can go from one planet to another without leaving the landing screen. It would be somewhat disturbing to be told you're stepping through a surface farcaster, only to see your ship magically transported into orbit around your destination world, IMO.

I could be wrong about this. If I am, so much the better of course.

If it can be done, there are definitely some cool things we could do with it, both in standard courier runs and more scenario-specific stuff - something like Brawne Lamia's interplanetary chase of that anonymous cybrid, for example.

------------------
"Choose again."

It can be done

------------------

Originally posted by Shade18:
**It can be done

In that case: let's do it! 🙂

------------------
"Choose again."

So, am I in? Can I, like, help you guys? I would consider myself a fairly good writer (not speller), and I bubble with ideas. Plus you could put me on some of the grunt work (like writing bar descriptions). I'm still in high school, so I'm all prepped for digging through the text looking for details.

-Virgil

------------------
ARMA VIRVMQUE CANO
-Aeneid
Book I

**So, am I in?

As far as I'm concerned: welcome to the club 😄

I can't speak on behalf of the others, but I don't think they'll have any objections either.

------------------
"Choose again."