EVO Questions

@ragashingo, on Feb 5 2007, 11:37 PM, said in EVO Questions:

1. You mentioned that the Voinians destroyed some Human colonies before the battle of Sol. How much farther west did Human space extend before contact with the Voinians?

One or two systems. Bits of the border area at the start.

2. There is no faster than light communication in Override right? I vaguely remember that being mentioned somewhere before.

There is. It's never spelled out but at certain times information is travelling too fast for there not to be.

3. Did you ever come up with stuff like how long the various races live and stuff like that?

Maybe. 🙂

4. The stuff about the Council's plans and future actions was very cool. Were there ever any specific characters or actions in Override that show the Council stepping in to maintain the balance?

There's a news story that refers to it.

5. Why did the Igadzra attack the Miranu research planet near the southern nebula during the Nebula penetration missions? They are hesitant to investigate strange objects one or two jumps away from their homeworld, but they sent a warship way down into renegade space to pick on a Miranu research post? Just seemed a bit odd.

The Igadzra are dependably inconsistent. Their absurdly complicated long term plans might dictate being aggressive in one place at one time and timid at another, and their native secrecy will make sure they almost never explain (assuming they actually know themselves).

And, plotwise, this makes them very useful, as you can almost always have the Igadzra show up nearly anywhere, and do almost anything, without really needing an explanation as such.

@pac, on Feb 5 2007, 08:18 PM, said in EVO Questions:

The Igadzra are dependably inconsistent. Their absurdly complicated long term plans might dictate being aggressive in one place at one time and timid at another, and their native secrecy will make sure they almost never explain (assuming they actually know themselves).

And, plotwise, this makes them very useful, as you can almost always have the Igadzra show up nearly anywhere, and do almost anything, without really needing an explanation as such.

Hrm... The UE has gained the upper hand in the Voinian War... Time to rebalance it by having the UE lose a few major battlegroups to some inexplicable attacks...

@u-e--admiral, on Feb 8 2007, 11:36 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Hrm... The UE has gained the upper hand in the Voinian War... Time to rebalance it by having the UE lose a few major battlegroups to some inexplicable attacks...

Blamed, no doubt, on the newly united Strand Council. Sneaky Igadzra.

Hey, nice to know someone other than myself liked EVO, and that its still got a following after all this time.

What about Meridia (sp?), the Zachit who came "from beyond the crescent." Do you have any more details about him? I always ended up crying when he died (yeah, I'm a guy, too. Go figure).

Was the Plasma Siphon supposed to be as powerful as I hear it was before the nerf? All I remember was seeing it bounce Azdaras around without damaging them very much.

Just how many worlds did the Igadzra wire with explosives? Are there more waiting to be set off?

@darth603, on Feb 11 2007, 02:49 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Was the Plasma Siphon supposed to be as powerful as I hear it was before the nerf? All I remember was seeing it bounce Azdaras around without damaging them very much.

It was about twice as powerful in 1.0.0 than it is now. Pity, I never found it particularly useful - as you say it's better for bouncing them away than killing them.

@darth603, on Feb 11 2007, 02:49 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Just how many worlds did the Igadzra wire with explosives? Are there more waiting to be set off?

The world they destroyed was just to scare the other strands into thinking they had some terrible planet-destroying weapon. I doubt they'd have done more than one.

Hm... I could've sworn they had two worlds blow up- Hoot and one other that I don't remember. Anyway, it made sense to me (sometimes I think like an Igadzra) that you'd have a couple more ready to pop, just in case.

Oh it might have been two, I don't remember 😉

Yep, there was two, this Hoot (temporary, as always) Azgari base of operations, and an uninhabited but habitable planet more to the south, can't remember its name, but it was described as not settled by the Igadzras while they didn't let Strandless settle it either (we know why now... though I think they should really have blown up a less useful planet, quite a waste)

Its a statement of how powerful they are. You don't want to destroy a planet thats important, because the enemy will then come at you in full force (both enemies, that is). However, if you destroy an unimportant planet, the others will think "hmm, they have this weapon, lets try not to offend them". I think its a smart move.

Alright, so I was checking out Shayon's Site on EVO, when I noticed something interesting; most of the uninhabited systems within range of UE space have the prefix DSN. Then I suddenly thought "Dude, Deep Space Nine!"

I can't believe I didn't see that before! Am I on the right track of what it stands for?

Um, not even close. EVO was out long before DS9.

DSN in this context probably refers to "Deep Space Number" - ####, eg, "DSN-1472"

@captjosh, on Feb 24 2007, 05:33 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Um, not even close. EVO was out long before DS9.

Actually, DS9 first appeared in 1993 (and does that make me feel old!), well before EVO or EV for that matter.

But none of the words in the two acronyms in fact match

Hrm...I'm losing my mind is all, then.

@pac, on Feb 24 2007, 07:19 PM, said in EVO Questions:

Actually, DS9 first appeared in 1993 (and does that make me feel old!), well before EVO or EV for that matter.

Hence the presence of a system named "Jadzia" in EV. 🙂

@dr--trowel, on Feb 25 2007, 01:55 AM, said in EVO Questions:

Hence the presence of a system named "Jadzia" in EV. 🙂

And, arguably, Curzon. 🙂

Wow. I probably won't be able to say everything I want to say, but I'm only here because I couldn't sleep and decided to come check out these forums for the first time in months. So yeah, sorry if I'm resurrecting an inactive topic.

I guess I'll keep things short (to the extent I'm capable; my forum posts are almost always long), but let me start off by saying, thanks Peter (or pac, whichever you prefer) for the great game that was EVO. I think people sometimes get put off from EVO because they saw it as a scenario change without major engine changes (though I really liked the AI change, reminds me of getting swarmed by Kraits while flying my dinky little Cargo Transporter around and getting overwhelmed). I always found EVO to be the most immersive of the three; EV classic was more or less your stereotypical sci-fi scenario and it was smaller, and Nova came after I'd played this game for years (I think I started in '96 or '97, but I forget now), and there just seemed to be too much going on for it to feel as adventurous as Override did the first time I ventured deep into alien territories and glimpsed the North Tip Asteroid Belt for the first time.

I really appreciate the insight you've given on your scenario, it's not very often you'll get someone who does that (oh, how people wish Dostoyevsky would've came back and explained all his works and what he was thinking). I feel like all that attention to balance, self-consistency (which I never quite noticed before) and openness for plug developers' imagination is something that makes me appreciate it all the more, to the point I wish there was some way I could have known about it back then.

I was actually quite surprised, reading your "spoilers," to realize I actually got most of it right. I actually have pages of notebook paper where I wrote my ideas for a little sequel (like all my plans, never got around to it), where the Council steps in to end the war (though with much less ominous motives) to unite the strands against a common perceived enemy, even possessing a huge battlefleet deep within Gadzair... it's so funny -- I think I'll type one of the next few days and link it here.

Anyway I should try heading back to bed, but I have to say I had to blink a couple times to realize this topic was real. It really brings back the great memories of playing this game, the first time through with all the adventures I had playing the storylines out and exploring the galaxy, then playing the amazing plug-ins like F-25 and The Frozen Heart, venturing out into the forum-based UEVRPG and uEVRPG, coming back for more much later in life and playing it through with my UE Fighter... I really have to say, thanks for the memories, and best of luck going forward!

@pac, on Feb 25 2007, 02:19 AM, said in EVO Questions:

But none of the words in the two acronyms in fact match

I always thought of it as Destination System Name, as an in-joke, like the <DSY> in missions. So, how right am I? 😉

As much as I'd like to chastise you for grave-digging, this topic is just too cool to let die.

As such, it's been pinned.

And it's only a month old; not exactly "Grave-dug," per se. It'd have to be at least four. (Months old, that is)