EVO Questions

Wow, this is one of the most amazing threads I've ever read. EVO was definitely my favorite of the trilogy, and the backstory is incredibly interesting. pac, I salute you.

I need to replay EVO.

If I come up with questions I'll make sure to ask here, even though I've missed the boat by quite a bit...

@macmaxbh, on Jun 19 2007, 07:05 AM, said in EVO Questions:

...even though I've missed the boat by quite a bit...

Nonsense. The topic's pinned, and this is only two months old. However, because it is pinned, there is no such thing as digging up this topic, I feel (unless you make an off-topic post).

endor from star wars is also in EV

Don't know how to add a quote. 😞

@macmaxbh, on Jun 19 2007, 03:05 PM, said in EVO Questions:

...EVO was definitely my favorite of the trilogy...
...I need to replay EVO...

I also loved the EV:O game far more than the other two. With EV I though "Oh. It's like a shareware version of Elite, in 2D. So what?" Also the rebellion plotline seemed really cliched.

Nova was bigger, but it never really had a game "universe" since the choices you made could change too many things. The recycling of plot elements effectively killed the lively chat we used to have about EV:O issues like how to beat the Voinians.

You need to replay EV:O? We all need to replay EV:O. The graphics and the gameplay were never state-of-the-art, but the breadth and depth of the missions was better than just about anything since.

I came to this a little late, since the activity has long since subsided, but recently I felt the urge to play EVO again and revisited the boards on a whim. I geefully read through this, anxious the learn as much as I could from you Mr. Cartwright and I really need to thank you. EVO is my all-time favorie game, there simply will never be a game made that can beat this one for me, and I play alot of games. Years ago this was all I played, I played EVO everyday religiously for years enjoying many plug-ins and making a few of my own. The storyline of EVO has yet to be matched, (I was slightly dissapointed in the direction they took Nova), I enjoyed the aliens, the ability to start a pilot file and leave Human space and never return, making my fortune in distant corners of the galaxy where there was such depth even on the fringes, where there were always missions to be done. I have regretably played the game to death at this point, years later I can still do mission strings without reading the text that accompanies them since its all in my memory and I could probably quote whole strings. The best trade routes as well are still commited to memory. Obviously I want to say thank you for such a rewarding and lasting game and if you ever finish the sequel I will undoubtely spend years more glued to my computer screen.

This post has been edited by silverhawke75 : 15 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

1. You mentioned that the Voinians destroyed some Human colonies before the battle of Sol. How much farther west did Human space extend before contact with the Voinians?

One is by Outpost Alpha and the other is a one or two jumps away. I think.

Also, someone mentioned earlier a Renegade Arada armed with a Phased Beam Turret - this pers goes by the name of Furious 'n' Fiery.

I remember facing him in a cresent warship back when I didn't have port authority. He ambushed me while I was in the Saalia system and took down a UE destroyers and a few fighters before heading to me. at less then 40% sheilds Frantically I looked for a secondary weapon (Preferably SAD's) and hit him with my tracter beam while he 'ran' over me. Caught him dead in place and I destroyed him with my turrets.

I just did replay EVO. Yup, still my favorite of the three. The universe was definitely built the best, and I love how different all the races are. And, since no one's said it for a while, thanks pac for an amazing amazing game. Without a doubt my favorite game of all time, ten years later I just keep coming back to it.

Wow, EVO's 10 years old? I feel old now.

This post has been edited by n64mon : 03 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

I hope PAC comes back here and does some more questions!

I have a question, what does Disco Bison have? He shoots Emaghla turrets at rapid speed and distance, they kill me in one hit. So I'm asking how do I get them (If I can get them) and what are they?

@it-000, on Jun 6 2008, 03:04 AM, said in EVO Questions:

I have a question, what does Disco Bison have? He shoots Emaghla turrets at rapid speed and distance, they kill me in one hit. So I'm asking how do I get them (If I can get them) and what are they?

Those are called Disco Machine guns, and you can only get them if you use Guy's EVO extras and capture the Disco Bison. 😉

By the way, thanks Pac for a great game!

I agree, this is an amazing thread and I have learned a lot reading it, as well as getting some facts straight. Alas, the voinians loose. I don't know why they appeal to me the way they do, but I think the answer is that they represent something unique that sets EVO apart from the other two EV games. The voinians are evil, they are racists, they don't like anything apart from their own culture and their way of life. They are not concealed (like the Bureau in EVN), not cowards (pirates ++), they are a race who openly proclaim their lust to destroy other races and cultures that don't fit with theirs. They have a large territory in the universe, their ships and stations don't look anything like the others, they are sharp, grey and rely on other strengths than the others (armor and heavy damage weaponry). When you play the EU string (most of us probably played that one first), you get this feeling that you are defending your race against a strange, mighty foe who just want your guts. An amazing achievement, and the reason I still play EVO. My first post in 5-6 years, lost my old account. Bah.

No matter how much I hate the Voinians, I must admit that sometimes I still get intimidated while gazing upon their mighty stations. I can say that EVO is my favorite Escape Velocity series. There is and several good aliens and a bad alien but not all aliens fight the bad one. Like Science Fiction. Nova involves a corrupt Earth which enslave and destroy, which I don't like.

My favorite race would be the Emaghlia. So much bravery they need to build those wooden ships to fight the Voinians. They should have a major storyline. The one I find the oddest is the Miranu, they are so nice and un-war-like, and they have no 'Skeleton in the closet', no race is that good.

@it-000, on Aug 10 2008, 09:43 PM, said in EVO Questions:

The one I find the oddest is the Miranu, they are so nice and un-war-like, and they have no 'Skeleton in the closet', no race is that good.

Oh, the MTC, at least, has their sides... remember the missions about that madman and his insane ideas for a skying, er, planet?

Have to agree with you about Earth. I always figured that Earth would have to have some form of unity in order to colonize other planets and preserve them, and especially if faced with a evil, deranged foe. Another major difference between Nova and Override, it seems, is that Override happens when humanity still explores the universe, you get to be a part of that when you act as an envoy on behalf of the Miranu to open trade relations with UE and lots of other stuff. Different aliens too. In Nova, every planet is inhabited with humans (what the), every major string results in unification (boring) and its just, well, boring. Not one mission string in Override can be compared to another, that is swell..

, every major string results in unification (boring) and its just, well, boring. Not one mission string in Override can be compared to another, that is swell..

I believe the Bereu ends up with you killing the pres. of Earth and taking over a chunk of Polaris and Aurora space. Unless you consider domination unifying the galexy.

@it-000, on Aug 15 2008, 07:24 PM, said in EVO Questions:

I believe the Bereu ends up with you killing the pres. of Earth and taking over a chunk of Polaris and Aurora space. Unless you consider domination unifying the galexy.

The Bureau string ends up with all the factions of the galaxy being under the thumb of the Bureau, and in the epilogue is about you deposing the two leaders, and 'being free to mold humanity as you wish'. Pretty much unification, altough very different from what happens in the other strings.
The Pirate string merely has you help resurrect the Association, and help the Rebellion secure its position, though, so that one doesn't have you unify humanity.

Isn't the Vell-os storyline about freeing them from slavery? Nothing about freeing the galexy, even though in the Epologue it says they helped.

The Vellos only way to be free is to destroy the berou. i think in the end you blow Kranes head off.

You almost always "unify the galaxy", if indirectly. It's a bit of a theme in the game. That's who Ory'hara's supposed to be, the one who unites mankind.

Back on topic, this is still the best game in the universe. Maybe it will be EVO that unifies mankind... 😛

QUOTE (`___ďż˝ @ Aug 14 2008, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Nova, every planet is inhabited with humans (what the), every major string results in unification (boring) and its just, well, boring. Not one mission string in Override can be compared to another, that is swell..

I was disappointed by the way so many plot elements in Nova are recycled; you join a completely different faction, and in several cases you can still end up flying the same missions, and fighting the same battles. Several key people and events turn out differently, depending on who you choose to be. It's clever; like an elaborate choose-your-own-adventure story, but ultimately it fragmented the community. Discussions about Nova are invariably centred upon how to progress through a mission, almost as if one is working through a pennance. Discussions about Override have looked into the politics, demographics, technology etc. of each of the races... because although the player can affect outcomes, the races and governments themselves are consistent for all players' experiences. This is much better storytelling, and makes for a better player community, sharing common experiences.

You may not approve of the 'humans-only universe' (or nearly so) that we see in Nova, but several highly successful space operas feature only one intelligent (or spacefaring) species. Dune, for example. Or David Weber's Honor Harrington stuff. At least Nova's fragmented game culture offered some cultures and mission strings that were different from the two games that had gone before. We'd already had the 'empire versus rebels' theme and the 'human civillisation on the defensive' thing...

I love Override dearly. Happy memories; and I've played it through more times than any other variant. But Nova offers me the Pirate Valkyrie Mk IV... Hmm... decisions, decisions.