Alien appearance?

What do they look like?

While it's nice that Override features aliens in major roles (as opposed to the tiny blips in Classic and Nova), one thing is still bugging me:

What do the aliens look like?

All I can imagine is that the Voinians are some kind of brutes, the Miranu are smoothish, and the Strands are sharpish. Beyond that, I got nothing and just think of people in rubber suits.

Have the Override aliens ever gotten any kind of illustration somewhere?

@baby-bonnie-hood, on 26 March 2013 - 06:49 AM, said in Alien appearance?:

Have the Override aliens ever gotten any kind of illustration somewhere?

Nothing authoritative that I’ve seen. Following from the comments about Miranu saucer ships, they should probably resemble the tall, grey kind of UFO alien, but on the whole I think the rubber-mask approach is reasonably justified.

I've always imagined them rather pointy metal Klingon types.

I've gotten the chance to talk with pac a bit, and even he never wrote down what they looked like. Lately I've seen the Voinians as resembling the Zerg, but grey instead of yellow and more intelligent looking. I picture the Miranu as the Kaminoans from Star Wars. I've never really thought much on the Strands, so In my mind they look more or less humanoid but with skin tones tinted to match their ships. So green Azdgari, purple Zidagar, and yellow/orange Igadzra.

Fun fact: Azdgari, Zidagar, and Igadzra are all anagrams of each other.

@darthkev, on 27 March 2013 - 10:28 PM, said in Alien appearance?:

Fun fact: Azdgari, Zidagar, and Igadzra are all anagrams of each other.

And of Gadzair, the dead planet by Council Station, which is generally thought to be their homeworld.

Official word is the aliens’ appearances are unspecified.

View Postpac, on 19 December 2006 - 02:24 PM, said:

<snip>

What does the Strand species look like?

How about the Miranu, Voinians, Emalgha, Hinwar, Kayans, and the other minor races?

I have no idea. I decided very early on that I would rely on using distinctive character features - described in the text - to distinguish the aliens, as EV offered no natural way to show what aliens looked like (and coming up with decent alien graphics would have been prohibitively expensive anyway). So from that point on, I never thought about it - it would be no use me having an image of the alien in my head, when the reader couldn't share that image.

Peter did mention that he often thought of Douglas Adams’s Vogans when writing the Voinians, but I think mostly in terms of personality rather than physical appearance.