New EV Override port

I guess it won't hold up to DoI then. We're keeping the FPS ability from quake so you CAN "walk around a planet"

@lnsu, on Jul 13 2008, 01:03 PM, said in New EV Override port:

I guess it won't hold up to DoI then. We're keeping the FPS ability from quake so you CAN "walk around a planet"

if this game turns into Derek Smart's Universal Nova i'm leaving

LNSU, what?

Well, since this seems to be more and more convincing, I guess I'll ask a question...

Have you guys thought about implementing "leaving ship"-style action? That is, you exit your ship and you walk around in a little avatar of your making?

That's something that I've always thought would be cool in an EV game: actually fighting man-to-man, not just ship-to-ship. 🙂

I realize this is probably real late in development, but I was just wondering is all.

Not in the EV franchise.

If anything in EV should ever be 3D, it should be the star map. Nothing else. 🙂

This post has been edited by Geek : 13 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

@lnsu, on Jul 13 2008, 03:03 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Not can. Could. Potentially. If there's time and we like it that way. First we need a vaguely EV-like game, so less bragging, more coding LNSU :p.

So when can we implement the First Person Shooter minigame of boarding the disabled ship? 😛

If you make an EV engine with FPS capabilities, you know it's only a matter of time before somebody turns it into Hyperioid , the story of a Mu'Hari operative who battles space pirates and secret Federation bioweapon projects while exploring the Vell-os ruins.

The final objective, of course, after you've beaten the last boss and triggered the self destruct system, would be "Escape Vell-os City Nova." 😉

Guapo : why, that won't come until Escape Velocity 5.

For some reason I just amused myself with the thought of how easy it would be to create textures and sprites for boarding disabled ships, using the already established collection of tools used for the Aleph One engine, and using that.

It's probably because I've been playing too many Marathon TCs as of late. (Don't give me all the stuff about copyright, the franchise, the antiquity, or bloat factor. I've been here long enough to know this post is just dreaming, not a request.)

Oh yes :cryptic grin:

@geek, on Jul 13 2008, 08:38 PM, said in New EV Override port:

If anything in EV should ever be 3D, it should be the star map. Nothing else. 🙂

Escape Velocity and Marathon? I think I just had a geekasm. You really should do that.

Imagine the scene from Star Trek: Generations... Instead of "M" for "Map", it could be "Shift-S" for "Stellar Cartography Room", and a 3D map shadowing a muscular figure appears, and you select your destination. You also have the old backslash to make a reduced-accuracy 2D diagram appear the same way it does in Nova if you are in a hurry. 🙂

EDIT: Also, the only other 3D feature there should ever be is for going into hyperspace, to match with the 3D map. It should be that when you hit the J key, the camera suddenly zooms to your three-dimensional plane as your ship points itself to the precise direction you need to travel, and you could get a rear or panning shot as you accelerate and travel through hyperspace. Of course, other objects in the system would also be adjusted to fit the 3D view, and thus all models in the game would be 3D, but vied from top-down 2D most of the time. Of course, the 3D map and hyperspace renderings should always be optional.

Another thought on the 3D map: The interface for the map could be different for each government, much like it already is in Nova for the in-flight interface. The map interface would have selector arrow, a "Location computer" (find), and and a profile screen for the selected system. It could also be controlled just by the mouse, but the appearance of the arrows and the screens could differ for ships made by different governments. :wub:

This post has been edited by Geek : 25 July 2008 - 03:59 AM

I have to disagree, Geek.

Personally, 3-D combat would add a challenge that I would welcome. Now you wouldn't have to know only your range from the target, you'd also have to take into consideration your respective altitudes. Granted, some tactics would be rendered useless because of this, but it would strengthen other tactics as well; more than likely, a few new tactics would also have to be invented.

...You know, the more I think about this, the more appealing the Third-Person Shooter standpoint looks.

Take it to a different thread please. Call it "speculation" or whatever you want. The idea of a map in EV4 is somewhat different from in previous EV's, is all I'm saying.

Guy: The most recent beta is looking great. I think it's ready to go FC.

@qaanol, on Jul 25 2008, 07:02 PM, said in New EV Override port:

Take it to a different thread please. Call it "speculation" or whatever you want. The idea of a map in EV4 is somewhat different from in previous EV's, is all I'm saying.

I'm I sensing a reference here? 🆒

Anyway, despite your quasi-secrecy, this project is quite apparently nifty. Keep up the good work.

@qaanol, on Jul 26 2008, 07:02 AM, said in New EV Override port:

Guy: The most recent beta is looking great. I think it's ready to go FC.

Excellent, I was thinking the same thing. There's a couple of minor UI tweaks I want to make and then I'll post FC1.

Buh? FC? :huh:

FC means Final Candidate.

Translation: Release-worthy?! is hopeful