Zidara

and making it work

I booted up EVO last night for the first time in months and quickly beat the first half of the Zidagar strand, like I've done so many times before. And then it hit me... I remember why this strand always frustrated the hell outta me every time I played it... the BROKEN ZIDARA. Its launch bay doesn't work, its phase beams are useless, it has no cargo space. It's broken.

So, after owning this game for years and years, I finally went ahead and downloaded ResEdit and fixed the damn Zidara. Fixed the launch bays, gave the beams unlimited ammo (it doesn't break the game balance), added some cargo space. Done. (And then some weapons space and some more fuel, because I deserve it after all my hard work.)

And now I'm flying around in a Zidara and lovin' every purple minute of it.

-- the end --

This post has been edited by hospitalfood : 03 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

Eh?

Since when is the Zidara broken? It always worked fine for me.

--gav

the launch bays have always worked fine for me, and the phased beam is decent too... the thing's a bit short of weapon space and turret slots, but it's far from broken.

Are you still using 1.0.0 or 1.01? I remember there was some kind of problem with the phase beam on these versions.

--gav

pistgavin, on Nov 3 2005, 11:00 AM, said:

Are you still using 1.0.0 or 1.01? I remember there was some kind of problem with the phase beam on these versions.

--gav
View Post

Aye, such a problem did exist with the 1.0.0 release now that I think of it.

-JP

I dunno, it's definitely 1.0.2. It just never worked for me.

Weird. It worked for me, also. Maybe you were playing with a plug-in and it made your ship buggy.

The Zidara would be a great ship, better than the Lazira, if its Phased Disruption Beams were salable. They take up valuable space and gun slots, and they consume fuel too fast. Yes, they're very good in certain situations, but outside of those situations they prevent the purchase of turrets that are good in nearly every situation. Besides, when the beams are wanted, the fighters can provide them.

The fuel use wouldn't be that bad, except fuel recovery is so slow. Even doing the Igadzra string to get a Plasma Siphon, capturing a Zidara, and buying two Fuel Scoops, it still takes about 45 seconds (that's 44.4~ for those who care) to get back a full jump of fuel. Without the Siphon you're looking at over a minute (66.6~ seconds) per jump.

I far prefer the Azdgari Arada, especially in light of it not having an inherent government. That's right: flying a Zidara makes you KoS to Igadzra and Azdgari ships, but flying an Azdgari Arada leaves you neutral to everyone (I actually made a plugin for myself that makes minor fixes such as giving government affiliations to several ships, as well as fixing the string resource for outfits and allowing the purchase of most ship variants when you reach the appropriate point in the appropriate string.) A few mobility upgrades and you're as swift as a Crescent Fighter.

Has anyone else noticed how abominably hard it is to do the strand strings in an Arada without doing the Human/Voinian string to get Dospect Armor first? That is, to do the game "backwards" in a non-capital ship?

~Qaanol

ps. 50 Q-points to the first person to name the most expensive (in terms of sales-value) ship class in the game.

Qaanol, on Nov 4 2005, 12:01 PM, said:

I far prefer the Azdgari Arada,View Post

You're talking about the Enhanced Arada, right?

ps. 50 Q-points to the first person to name the most expensive (in terms of sales-value) ship class in the game.

Hmmm. Lessee. From memory, the CW costs $9M. And I haven't ever flown a Voinian or UE ship, so I have no idea how much those cost. My guess would have to be an Igazra, only because you can loot them for half a million credits.

wondergirl, on Nov 4 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

You're talking about the Enhanced Arada, right?

No, I mean for general use before and during strings. The Enhanced Arada is unquestionably the best ship post-string, unless the questioner happens to prefer the Dreadnought.

Hmmm. Lessee. From memory, the CW costs $9M. And I haven't ever flown a Voinian or UE ship, so I have no idea how much those cost. My guess would have to be an Igazra, only because you can loot them for half a million credits.
View Post

Nope. 🆒

Qaanol, on Nov 4 2005, 01:06 PM, said:

Nope. 🆒View Post

<_<

Is it a përs?

Qaanol, on Nov 4 2005, 09:06 PM, said:

Nope. 🆒
View Post

Perhaps the Dreadnought?

wondergirl, on Nov 5 2005, 12:35 AM, said:

<_<
Is it a përs?
View Post

Nope, just the shďp with the highest trade-in value you can fly. For the record, Igazras—actually, both types of Igazra—cost 15 million, and thus have a 3.75 mil trade-in value. You are correct about the Igazra being the priciest ship you can buy from a shipyard, though.

Frequency 245, on Nov 5 2005, 05:37 AM, said:

Perhaps the Dreadnought?
View Post

Dreadnought == 30,000,000 credit price tag, which makes for a 7.5 mil trade-in, not counting outfits. No, that isn't the highest.

Bonus 20 Q-points to the first person who names the ship with the lowest trade-in value.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 05 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

Lowest tradein value... strange asteroid. 20cr price, no maneuverability.

Qaanol, on Nov 4 2005, 12:01 PM, said:

...the most expensive (in terms of sales-value) ship class in the game.View Post

If it isn't a big ship, is it one of the smallest? The Enhanced Azdara?

I ran into this problem, too.

1)Bought Zidara.
2)Launched fighters. Cool. Recalled em.
3)Landed on Zigadar.
4)Fighter bay has dissapeared. Can't select it with "w."
5)I have two fighters purchased.

How do I fix the bay? I'm using EVNew.

Also, the ship comes with negative space! And only 15 tons of cargo! It's pathetic!

Nevermind. Apparently the fix is to change the tech level to 999 for the bay.

Set cargo at 20 tons, space at 35 (as opposed to 15, but I think it was bugged into the negative), and guns to 5.

Not a bad ship.

Qaanol, on Nov 5 2005, 08:01 AM, said:

The fuel use wouldn't be that bad, except fuel recovery is so slow. Even doing the Igadzra string to get a Plasma Siphon, capturing a Zidara, and buying two Fuel Scoops, it still takes about 45 seconds (that's 44.4~ for those who care) to get back a full jump of fuel. Without the Siphon you're looking at over a minute (66.6~ seconds) per jump.
View Post

The only 'fix' I like to make to the Zidara is to enable its own fuel regen for the player. This makes the beam much more durable.

I far prefer the Azdgari Arada, especially in light of it not having an inherent government. That's right: flying a Zidara makes you KoS to Igadzra and Azdgari ships, but flying an Azdgari Arada leaves you neutral to everyone (I actually made a plugin for myself that makes minor fixes such as giving government affiliations to several ships, as well as fixing the string resource for outfits and allowing the purchase of most ship variants when you reach the appropriate point in the appropriate string.) A few mobility upgrades and you're as swift as a Crescent Fighter.
View Post

The downside of the no inherent govt is you don't get the default jamming typical of other crescent ships. Of course this is only relevant if you've fixed the guidance types of homing weapons.

View Post

The Nadir, for 25m.

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 November 2005 - 12:08 AM

The Apple Cřre, on Nov 5 2005, 02:58 PM, said:

Lowest tradein value... strange asteroid. 20cr price, no maneuverability.
View Post

Correct, for 20 Q-points. That was kind of a trick question, as you can capture the asteroid and see its trade-in value, but you can never actually take it to a shipyard and trade it in.

...though are you sure about the cost? I don't have the data in front of me but I seem to think it has zero cost...

wondergirl, on Nov 5 2005, 09:30 PM, said:

If it isn't a big ship, is it one of the smallest? The Enhanced Azdara?
View Post

I still don't have the data in front of me, but I think that might cost 20 million. Or maybe I'm thinking of the Enhanced Arada. But either way it's not the most. A worthy guess though.

Guy, on Nov 7 2005, 01:02 AM, said:

The only 'fix' I like to make to the Zidara is to enable its own fuel regen for the player. This makes the beam much more durable.

The downside of the no inherent govt is you don't get the default jamming typical of other crescent ships. Of course this is only relevant if you've fixed the guidance types of homing weapons.

The Nadir, for 25m.
View Post

Correct, for 50 Q-points. Its cost is 100 mil, making its trade-value as you say. I just made a pilot that's doing the Voinian, UE, Igadzra and Azdgari strings and captured The Nadir. With all the outfits I have, including as many fighters as I could buy (5 UE, 5 Voinian, 3 Crescent, and 6 Azdara, plus the 6 Kraits that come stock) my ship now has a trade-in value over 41 million, and I haven't finished kitting it out yet.

Oh, Guy, I've got a few miscellaneous points about EVO that I'm going to post in your EVDC thread on porting to Nova.

Qaanol, on Nov 8 2005, 07:57 AM, said:

Correct, for 20 Q-points. That was kind of a trick question, as you can capture the asteroid and see its trade-in value, but you can never actually take it to a shipyard and trade it in.

...though are you sure about the cost? I don't have the data in front of me but I seem to think it has zero cost...
I still don't have the data in front of me, but I think that might cost 20 million. Or maybe I'm thinking of the Enhanced Arada. But either way it's not the most. A worthy guess though.
Correct, for 50 Q-points. Its cost is 100 mil, making its trade-value as you say. I just made a pilot that's doing the Voinian, UE, Igadzra and Azdgari strings and captured The Nadir. With all the outfits I have, including as many fighters as I could buy (5 UE, 5 Voinian, 3 Crescent, and 6 Azdara, plus the 6 Kraits that come stock) my ship now has a trade-in value over 41 million, and I haven't finished kitting it out yet.

Oh, Guy, I've got a few miscellaneous points about EVO that I'm going to post in your EVDC thread on porting to Nova.
View Post

Nice 😛 I think I still have a pilot flying The Nadir. Or maybe I needed to do some testing and mangled it up. It's a nice ship, but I don't think it's for me.
And yeah, the Strange Asteroid is indeed 0cr. Don't know where 20 comes from.