Freazel in SheepShaver?

@ferazel-x, on Mar 3 2008, 04:12 PM, said in Freazel in SheepShaver?:

Anyone tried it yet?

I'm digging. squeak

http://www.mathemati...ers/ag/yaze-ag/

I can't test anything out since I don't use SheepShaver (I have a G4 tower so I don't need it). It would be better if someone who knew what they were doing and actulay can test this stuff out. I'll try digging some more later.

Any updates yet?
I don't think the program provided will work, it appears to apply to OS X, we are using Classic OS.

Old bump.

I just tried, but macsbug crashes SheepShaver... 😞

I haven't heard of anyone successfully running Ferazel in an OS X environment yet, though if your info on the game is well enough you might be able to get some help on a web board/forum dedicated to emulation (meaning not on ASW more likely).

Trying QEMU might be worth a shot, too, but I've been unable to get OS 9 to boot on it (at least with the Linux version).

New advances in Sheepsaver allow for Ares to be played well, does anybody know if this is true for Ferazel as well?

I tried Ferazel after I got Ares working. Ferazel crashed on launch. However it was an OS9 extension related (It didn't like all the sprocket extensions installed by Ferazel) issue I think rather than a sheepshaver issue, (unless the issue was video related). Sheepshaver will only run up to OS9.0.4 which is what I tested with.

It is definitely worth someone's while setting up the newly modified sheepshaver and having a go.

@lord-commander-anic, on 29 November 2010 - 01:36 PM, said in Freazel in SheepShaver?:

I tried Ferazel after I got Ares working. Ferazel crashed on launch. However it was an OS9 extension related (It didn't like all the sprocket extensions installed by Ferazel) issue I think rather than a sheepshaver issue, (unless the issue was video related). Sheepshaver will only run up to OS9.0.4 which is what I tested with.

It is definitely worth someone's while setting up the newly modified sheepshaver and having a go.

So, I'm trying it, but unfortunately it's asking for the CD, which I no longer have.

Was there ever a workaround for the CD check? If I recall the game only asked for it once.

Got the Editor up though!

Edit: Tried the demo, quits on launch. Disabled the extensions except the one InputSprocket that the game needs, still didn't work. I think it's a problem with SheepShaver.

This post has been edited by Cougarcat : 01 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

My suspicion has always been that it's a copy protection issue with Ferazel, since there's no error message and since it really should work. I've never gotten the time to really dig into it -- my development and reverse engineering skills are nearly all for x86 unix systems, and since macsbug won't work in SheepShaver I really don't know how to approach the problem. How did reverse engineering work in the OS 9 days? I don't even know where to get a disassembler.

Though the demo not working either is interesting -- I don't know why copy protection would be enabled there.

Also the Sheepshaver guy's website is offline and has been for a while now...

I have had a look with HexEdit (as well as MacsBug on my PowerMac) and have pretty much determined that the problem lies in CheckSysVersion.
Posted Image

Here is the data in HexEdit. I have also highlighted GetProcessorInfo as it might also pose an issue. Both of these headers also appear in Harry the Handsome Executive (which runs fine in SheepShaver), but the data is not the same.

(BTW, the reason I have a new account, is because I couldn't access the old one.)

Discovered something interesting. If there is no preferences file present when starting without the CD, one is created and the insert CD prompt will appear. It will continue to do so as long as the CD is not present. Once the CD is inserted, the game will always quit at startup, even if the CD is later removed!

Hm so what does this mean?

That, I don't know. Haven't been able to figure out the preferences file.

I have come to believe the reason Ferazel's Wand crashes is because it can't find a startup disk to check the system on.

Real Mac:
Posted Image

SheepShaver:
Posted Image

New Mac OS X and Windows builds of SheepShaver for running Ferazel's Wand and EV: Nova are available over at the Emaculation forums near the bottom of this thread. One of the members at Emaculation has managed to enable the gamma fades, so Ferazel's Wand works great now! Hopefully this works for you guys and will bring some activity to your forum! 🙂

Edit: Updated links for new builds with gamma fades.

This post has been edited by The Wizard : 28 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

@the-wizard, on 23 March 2012 - 03:43 AM, said in Freazel in SheepShaver?:

New Mac OS X and Windows builds of SheepShaver for running Ferazel's Wand and EV: Nova are available over at the Emaculation forums near the bottom of this thread. One of the members at Emaculation has managed to enable the gamma fades, so Ferazel's Wand works great now! Hopefully this works for you guys and will bring some activity to your forum! 🙂

Edit: Updated links for new builds with gamma fades.

The answer only took five years!

@lizard, on 30 March 2012 - 07:40 PM, said in Freazel in SheepShaver?:

The answer only took five years!

What's worse is that it's only a couple months short of six years! 😉

Unfortunately, this forum seems all but completely dead, so it may take another five years for any Ferazel users to notice they can play it again. 😞

So I'm using a crappy windows computer.. How's my gameplay experience looking?

I can't say for sure since I'm using a Mac, but FerazelX reported on the Emaculation forums that Ferazel's Wand is working well in Windows.