Everything EV

@starbridge21, on Apr 13 2007, 03:06 PM, said in Everything EV:

C'mon, I had intended for this to be a 'general information' topic. Just post whatever -- but be serious about it already! You're startin' to kinda piss me off. << << <_<

This whole board is for general information about EV. Topics should be about specific things.

@derakon, on Apr 13 2007, 03:10 PM, said in Everything EV:

Honestly, the only person who is going to know anything that's not already in the scenario is Matt Burch.

Actually he's probably forgotten most of it by now.

@starbridge21, on Apr 14 2007, 09:50 PM, said in Everything EV:

@derakon, on Apr 14 2007, 01:46 AM, said in Everything EV:
"Hi. I want to know everything significant about the EVC scenario. There are some aspects that I already know, and I don't want to be told about them, but I won't tell you what they are. I also won't define the term "significant". I'm asking you all because, despite the fact that all the information is readily available, I'm too lazy to look it up myself."

When exactly did I say 'significant'? I can't find that word in any post of mine. Anyway, I do want to know everything significant about the EVC scenario, where significant means all characters who have names (what their names are and what they do), all governments (their positions in the war, what kind of methods they use, who they support/oppose), and all story lines (any events during the stories that you think are important and how they end).

Your question is so broad, that just about everything given in all the topics is relevant. A clipper is a ship, it's piloted by a person. You wanted to know about every person. Spica's miners sometimes die, that's an event. Don't even get me started on what areas governments are interested in, they have their hands in everything.

Now you've said that you don't have time to go look things up yourself, but certainly before you gave no indication of that, hence the laziness.

Well I shouldn't have had to say why I didn't know the things I didn't know. It's not your place to think I'm lazy; if you don't want to answer my questions, don't post on this thread. It's like the expression: If you haven't got anything nice (or in this case, constructive) to say, don't say anything.

Honestly there's only two reasonable ways for you to get the information you want. The first is for you to ask specific questions with limited scopes (for example, "Who was the leader of the Confederation?") that people wouldn't need to compile an encyclopedia to answer. And the second is for you to go read the data files.

No time. I'm not going to say it again. And I'm not asking for an encyclopedia, I'm asking for anything at all. Really, by asking a broad-ranged question, it makes it easier for you to answer. You don't have to sit and think 'what's the answer to that?' Just the first thing you think of -- that is relevant to my specifications, of course -- you can type down and you're done. That's it.

People are often unwilling to help if they don't know why they should. Furthermore the more work you ask people to do, the more they're going to want something out of it.

If you don't have time to read the data files, how do you have time to even use any data you might find here? Not to mention data here is going to be a lot less dense and take more time to understand everything. The data files are a complete, first level source. Anything posted here is second hand information and is subject to inaccuracy and being more diluted than the primary source.

@guy, on Apr 14 2007, 02:09 AM, said in Everything EV:
You also haven't explained why you want to know all this. I mean it does seem a bit odd, considering the three EVs are not connected :huh:.

Just curious. 😉 I'd like to know more about the other games; you never know where you will find sources of twists or inspiration.

@jacabyte, on Apr 14 2007, 11:30 AM, said in Everything EV:

Or play through the entire game, perhaps?

Yeah. Because that wouldn't take a long time.

If you're not willing to play the games, then what's even the point of this?

Anyway, I'm locking this topic on both the EV and EVO boards, as they seem to be degenerating into name calling. If you want to ask specific questions, go ahead. You've already received 2 very good suggestions for getting what you want. Either play the game, or look at the data files.

Cham