strategies

There are so many strategies. I have no problem with Monty Python if I'm using weapons with naturally longer range, but will not use it against the same kind of weapon. You can do a similar thing, though, that has some challenge to it. You can often make decisions faster than the AI, so you often have a few free shots before the larger enemy ships return fire. That lets you do hit and run. Get close enough to strike, do a little thumping, then move away before the enemy barrage fries you. You'll take some damage, but you'll do more than that in turn. Another way to do this is to do a fly-over, hitting it hard when you get close and letting your velocity quickly move you to safety. Fly-overs work especially with Miranu defense systems.

If your system has enough power to have aggressive fighters, you will need a completely different strategy for them. Has anybody tried carring mines to get them?

------------------

oop. I meant this to go under Fight Strategies topic rather to start my own. Oh well.

------------------

Originally posted by calenril:
**There are so many strategies. I have no problem with Monty Python if I'm using weapons with naturally longer range, but will not use it against the same kind of weapon. You can do a similar thing, though, that has some challenge to it. You can often make decisions faster than the AI, so you often have a few free shots before the larger enemy ships return fire. That lets you do hit and run. Get close enough to strike, do a little thumping, then move away before the enemy barrage fries you. You'll take some damage, but you'll do more than that in turn. Another way to do this is to do a fly-over, hitting it hard when you get close and letting your velocity quickly move you to safety. Fly-overs work especially with Miranu defense systems.

If your system has enough power to have aggressive fighters, you will need a completely different strategy for them. Has anybody tried carring mines to get them?

(BTW, these are tactics. An example of strategy would be Sassone's plan of
making the Azdgari think that renegades were responsible for the loss of one
of their patrols.)

The Hit and Run tactic that you mention is very effective. That's a good way
for something like an Azdara to kill an Igazra. Hit-n-run, and "out-heal"
them.

Mines are a bad idea against fast fighters, they might charge you and detonate
your mine in your own face, before you can get clear. Also, they're overkill.
The mine packs way more punch than you need against a fighter. It's more
economical to use something smaller. Miranu defense system is better. I was
having a lot of trouble with Azdara swarms when 1.0.2 came out, but a few
Miranu Defense pod launchers took care of that very nicely.

If I were an Azdgari agent, I would try to infiltrate the Miranu weapons
program somehow, and get them to cancel defense systems research, perhaps by
rigging pursuit missile tests to make them look more effective.

Mines are Ok against slow targets when there aren't a lot of fighters or
asteroids around. The Voinians were very clever to get UE to sign an
anti-mine treaty. What was UE thinking? You can bet it was for some lame
political, totally-nonmilitary reason. I bet some passenger ship "accidently"
hit a mine at some point. No doubt a very meticulously planned "accident."

Originally posted by Sloppy:
If I were an Azdgari agent, I would try to infiltrate the Miranu weapons
program somehow, and get them to cancel defense systems research, perhaps by
rigging pursuit missile tests to make them look more effective.

No, I take that back. The Azdgari would make bad infiltrators. That sounds
like a job for the Igadzra. So... how do Azdgari trick the Igadzra into
infiltrating Miranu research programs and shifting emphesis (funding) from
defense pods to pursuit missiles?

Well... what would motivate the Igazdra to do that? Defeating Zidagar ECM
systems, that's what. The Miranu are pretty close to the Zidagar and may
be able to learn a little about their ECMs. That type of intel could be
used to make better pursuit missiles, and the technology could then be stolen
and put into SAEs.

So really, the Igazdra just need a little push to begin this. I would
recommend that the Azdgari capture a Zidara, and tow it to somewhere near
Pybin Station. Maybe blow up a few Miranu freighters near there too, so
that when the Miranu find the Zidara derelict, they'll think the Zidagar
have been up to no good, and will take the most advantage of the situation
instead of just handing the ship over to their former Zidagar buddies.

Then you just need to get word of this to the Igadzra somehow, so that the
Igadzra will know that the Miranu have Zidagar ECM techonlogy. The Igadzra
will take care of things from there.

The "hit and run" strategy can be effective but the best way is to get some Azdgari Fighters, release them and set them on your enemy ship while your lasers goes on the same ship. The ship only targets one ship at a time and when your fighters hit him, he targets them but they are the Azdgari fighters so they are quick enough to get away before he can return the fire. Then you hit him, he targets you and so on. I did that against the Dreadnought and knocked him out faster than when I had the Emalghia turrets.

------------------
I acknowledge that my name is Ilich Ramirez Sanchez alias Carlos, born in 1949 in Caracas in Venezuela. I am a international revolutionary.

-Qoute from The Jackal-

hey marvin its spelled quote, not qoute, there is always a u after a q.

------------------
You're unique, just like everybody else.

Those things, those things! They're all around, they hide in the corners until they see light...

In Jive's place I will say coughcoughripoffcoughcough

------------------
Oh no! It's locked!-Harry
Damn it Pam, stop glowing-Harry
Eat staples electro-breath-Harry

Some people need to wash their gene pool

A.S.S Cuisine reporting for duty!

I have a tactic of my own that's so easy, it's almost a bug. Here's what to do:
First make sure you have plenty of turrets. Then find a large warship of sorts you want to destroy (Voinian Frigates will work) that isn't aware of your presence, along with any other out-of-the-way slow ship (A Voinian Cruiser that's lost it's fighters, or a 'landing' cargo ship, for example.) Now, position yourself so that all three ships form a straight line (You, the ship you're really going after, and the ship you're technically shooting at). Aim your turrets and fire away! The middle ship assumes your aim is just bad until it's too late. Since no one else to my knowledge has said anything about this strategy, I think I'll christen it the "Monkey in the Middle" maneuver.
Now maybe I'll finally become rich and famous. 🆒

------------------

Hey captain, with all my firepower, I often do that by mistake and end up nailing two at once.....

------------------
Very funny, now beam down my clothes. These ladies look rest-less..... uh-oh...

Nice comments. Thanks for the tactical information. I too noticed how hitting a ship w/o targeting it lets you get away with murder, but I never use it because it takes away all the fun. If I really want to cheat and have fun while doing it, I'll just "try to kill 'im with a forklift."

'Bout that mine treaty.. The idea that it was a Voinian conspiracy is plausible but unlikely, since that would assume they knew more about our psyche than an alien could, esp. one that seemed to have little contact with Humans beyond war. It was probably just because of the mess that they leave behind--it's hard to do commerce when your freighters keep blowing up in transit.

Really, it was a bad story-line. All's fair in war, and the war was never really over. Such a disarmament treaty would be completely unverifiable, never more useful than a 'gentleman's agreement.' The best reason for mines to not be standard armament is just that they are so hard to use successfully yet take up so much space.

------------------