Andrew: 2 EVO 1.0.2 bugs--possible backdoor to use old pilots

I have found 2 bugs in the "final" version of EVO 1.0.2. The first one is very minor:

When the "Diplomatic Relations" mission (obtained at Mira) is selected from the list of a player's missions, and the player presses "M" to bring up the map, the arrow at Sol system that should represent the mission stays red, not green.

The 2nd bug could be more serious:

I have both EVO 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 on my Hard Drive.

When continuing a saved game by clicking on the pilot file in the 1.0.2 pilot folder, rather than starting from the EVO icon and then choosing a pilot form the 1.0.2 pilot folder, the game loads up my last pilot from 1.0.1 instead (with the Arada ship rather than my shuttle, with the later date, and with the explored map and missions of my 1.0.1 pilot). I don't know how it chooses the last pilot rather than another one from 1.0.1.

And, I can play using my 1.0.1 pilot in 1.0.2, so long as I load it this way (by clicking on the 1.0.2 pilot--not the 1.0.1 pilot--it doesn't seem to make sense that it would work this way). And when I started up my 1.0.1 EVO game, the pilot had been changed (had moved and done missions, just like I had the pilot do while using it in 1.0.2). Therefore, it seems that we can use our old pilots through this backdoor method.

If I load a saved game by clicking on the pilot file, I can then switch back to my 1.0.2 pilot by choosing it from within the game.

If I throw EVO 1.0.1 in the trash (but not delete it) then, EVO 1.0.2 acts normally, and chooses my 1.0.2 pilot even if I double click on the pilot in the EVO 1.0.2 pilot folder rather than from with the game.

Jude

------------------

OWW!!!
Gosh, could you make that a little more clear?
So double-clicking a 1.0.1 pilot it opens up in 1.0.2 or 1.0.1???

------------------
---<< Ą Secret Chimp ! >>---

Bean rhymes with bean... hey, that rhymes with bean! Which rhymes with bean, and that rhymes with bean...
Bean bean bean. I made a poem!

Ibejamminhebejamminshebejamminwebejammin

Originally posted by Jude:
When continuing a saved game by clicking on the pilot file in the 1.0.2 pilot folder, rather than starting from the EVO icon and then choosing a pilot form the 1.0.2 pilot folder, the game loads up my last pilot from 1.0.1 instead (with the Arada ship rather than my shuttle, with the later date, and with the explored map and missions of my 1.0.1 pilot). I don't know how it chooses the last pilot rather than another one from 1.0.1.

That's not a bug in EVO 1.0.2 -- that's the way the MacOS works. When you double-click a file, it looks for the first app that says it owns it, in this case, 1.0.1.

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

I've unterstand it this way:

If you double-click your 1.0.2 pilot file, EVO 1.0.2 starts, but with the last 1.0.1 pilot file opened.

------------------

Right, that seems to be what happens. Is there any way to quickly check whether EVO 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 has started up. Perhaps it is 1.0.1, but why then doesn't it open the pilot file I am clicking on, rather than the last 1.0.1 pilot file?
Jude

------------------

Okay, I tried it again, and then clicked the "about EV" button from within the game. It said copyright 1996-1998, so I guess it is EVO 1.0.1 that is being opened. That means that when I click on a 1.0.2 pilot file, EVO 1.0.1 actually starts with 1.0.1's last pilot loaded. Then when I open a pilot from 1.0.2 from with the EVO 1.0.1 game it loads it. I guess that means that maybe you can play new version pilots on the old versions of the game, but not old pilots with 1.0.2.
Looks like Andrew's explanation about the Mac OS chosing the first application that will run the file makes good sense (although it loads up a different file--which is why I wasn't certain at first that he was right). Oh, well, I was really hoping for a backdoor to use old pilots with 1.0.2! :frown:
Jude

------------------