Making Sprites

I made a 3D ship using ray dream studio. I'm just wondering how I can use this model to make a sprite I can make into a ship using EV-edit. I've tried to do it manually but that results in a wobbily graphic. I was wondering if anyone who is a plug-in expert could give me some advice.

Put a top-down picture of it as a PICT file with Snapz pro or something. After all it is free for 15 days.

Then theres a utility of some kind. I forget what its called. But it turns a simple pointed-up PICT into the 36-frame PICT you need, rotating the ship the whole time. Then thats what you use to directly import with EV Edit into the spďn resource.

------------------

Does anyone know what the name of this program is...or where I could find it?

------------------

It's called MakeSpin, and it makes PICTs and sprites from a single top-down, forward-facing PICT, and saves them in the resource fork of a file. Extremely convenient. You can get it at the EV/O addons page, I think.

------------------
God. Root. What is difference?
-Pitr

AIM: obormot345

Extremely convienient...but EXTREMELY horrible-looking. Not only is the shadow also spun (very unrealistic) but you get horrid jaggy effects.

What I do is I render all 36 views of the ship. Each frame is rotated 10° clockwise. I don't know about RayDream, but if you can save the animation as a PICS file, the program PICS2Sprites can create the sprite file for you. To make masks re-render your ship with all textures set to a 100% glowing white, then in a program like ClarisWorks or Photoshop select only the black. If you don't want to do that, render without anti-aliasing.

------------------

Originally posted by Weepul 884:
Extremely convienient...but EXTREMELY horrible-looking. Not only is the shadow also spun (very unrealistic) but you get horrid jaggy effects.

What I do is I render all 36 views of the ship. Each frame is rotated 10° clockwise. I don't know about RayDream, but if you can save the animation as a PICS file, the program PICS2Sprites can create the sprite file for you. To make masks re-render your ship with all textures set to a 100% glowing white, then in a program like ClarisWorks or Photoshop select only the black. If you don't want to do that, render without anti-aliasing.

It is much easier to make a mask once you have the 36 frame sprite in PS or graphic converter. This way you don't mess up your textures and colors on your ship, and it can be done in a few seconds instead of 10 minutes.

PhotoShop: select the black part with the magic wand, and then select inverse from the menus.

Graphic Converter: Go up to the menu's and find threshold, put 1 into the field and hit enter.

Chamrin

Originally posted by Weepul 884:
What I do is I render all 36 views of the ship. Each frame is rotated 10° clockwise. I don't know about RayDream, but if you can save the animation as a PICS file, the program PICS2Sprites can create the sprite file for you.

I just render the frames individually and assemble them in MakeSpďn. More convenient than stitching them by hand or attempting to get Pics2Sprites to work

------------------
OpenGL Avara!

AIM: EVAndrewM

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

I use Ray Dream 3D, and the most convenient way I've found is to make a simple animation with Ray Dream (use the timeline), then use Makespďn's command to convert a 36-frame animation to spďn format.

------------------

Originally posted by Chamrin:
**It is much easier to make a mask once you have the 36 frame sprite in PS or graphic converter. This way you don't mess up your textures and colors on your ship, and it can be done in a few seconds instead of 10 minutes.

PhotoShop: select the black part with the magic wand, and then select inverse from the menus.

Graphic Converter: Go up to the menu's and find threshold, put 1 into the field and hit enter.

Chamrin**

This method is flawed. If any part of the ship, whether dark-textured or just in shadow, is rendered as black, it will not be included in the mask. If you are against space, it looks fine, but as soon as you fly over a planet a hole appears in your ship. blech

------------------