Is it possible?

Hey, is it possible to download a plug-in on a PC and then transfer it to a mac, since the internet won't work on the ol' labtop.

------------------
"Arthur Philip Dent?" pursued the alien in a kind of efficient yap.
"Er...er...yes...er...er...," confirmed Arthur.
"Your're a jerk," repeated the alien, "a complete kneebiter."

Originally posted by Arthur Dent:
**Hey, is it possible to download a plug-in on a PC and then transfer it to a mac, since the internet won't work on the ol' labtop.

Yes, it is quite simple. Simply download the files (.sit or .hqx) onto the PC, don't unstuff it. Then transfer it to the Mac in any manner you wish, and unstuff it.

------------------
As I travel through the
gates of hell to face the
deamons, I know my knife
is by my side, and that
all hell can't stop me

Originally posted by BackSTABa:
**Yes, it is quite simple. Simply download the files (.sit or .hqx) onto the PC, don't unstuff it. Then transfer it to the Mac in any manner you wish, and unstuff it.

I have the same problem. But I don't know how to transfer.

------------------
"The Golden Arches! The Golden Arches got me!"
-Cow
Noah:"All right, in alphebetical order."
Zebra:"Damn."
by Gary Larson

From Rip C. Evumizar-
I have the same problem. But I don't know how to transfer.

Do you have the PC Exchange extension on your labtop? If so, you can put the plug-in on a disk and stick it in your labtop. I think it'll work.

First off guys, its a "LaPtop". Secondly, whichever computer the Mac is, turn on the PC exchange control panel (using the extension manager if you have it, otherwise simply drag the control panel "PC Exchange" from the Control panels disabled folder into the control panels folder and restart. Then drag the file onto a floppy, take it to your Mac, and presto.

------------------
As I travel through the
gates of hell to face the
deamons, I know my knife
is by my side, and that
all hell can't stop me

Originally posted by BackSTABa:
**Yes, it is quite simple. Simply download the files (.sit or .hqx) onto the PC, don't unstuff it. Then transfer it to the Mac in any manner you wish, and unstuff it.

It's not quite that simple since sometimes the .sit format looses data when downloaded onto a PeeCee. If at all possible, allways go for .hqx.

p.s.
I share your frustration 😛

------------------

Also, if you are using normal floppies, most of the larger plugins will have to be segmented and joined in order to fit. The best format to do this in is .hqx, since it only uses ASCII characters and no page breaks.
If you have Virtual PC (or any comparable program) and a windows program that can create segmented .zip files, you can use the windows program to segment the file and then use it again on the mac using the emulator.
Otherwise, you have to segment the files manually
To segment the files, simply:
1. Open the document in a word processor, such as word
2. Figure out how many pages the file takes up (this takes a while in word, at least on this machine)
3. Figure out how many segments you will need (I usually aim for 1.3 megs to allow for flaws in the disk)
4. Divide the number of pages by the number of segments
5. Use the goto command to go to the page number given in the last step
6. Scroll up to the top of the page
7. Shift click to the left of the very first character in the file
8. Cut (not copy) the selected text
9. Make a new document
10. Paste the text into the new document
11. Save the new document as something you will remember (such as, for EV, EV1) Make sure you save it as a text only document and that it has a .txt extension (yeah, I hate the filename extensions too. Why have they creeped into the mac world?)
12. Close the new document (to clear up the clutter on the screen)
13. Repeat with the remainder of the file.

That's a mouthful. But, some of us have to go through this torture to use our favorite games...

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)