Another feature request post (poor MCB!)

Request 1: sprite-beams. A sprite would simply be repeated, moving along a path that acts like a beam (differences from rapid-fire front-mounted cannon: sprites would line up, would stay in a line even when turning & firing). So, you could have, say, a beam with pulses or a wavy beam...

Request 1/2 (less realistic): more internal beam types, for example the lightning-beam from Ares.

Request 2: option for a beam (both kinds if sprite-beams are implemented) to have either the standard sparkly-impact or a contact explosion (as if it were a projectile, it makes an explosion where it hits).

Request 3: option for a moving beam, for both types. You hold the fire key and the front of the beam streams foreward, and the end travels behind it when you release the fire key.

Request 4: More explosion slots, so you could have weapons looking truely different when they explode. Also, more explosion sounds, corresponding to the spins.

Request 5: turreted beams that come from turret spots, not the middle of the ship only...or perhaps (since beams are different) the ability to set the beam's y-offset by itself.

Most of these requests are about beams, since they are the most limited weapon type currently and most of the new and interesting things with projectiles have already been done.

------------------

Agreed with Weepul on the beam request. It'll be neat to have more unique looking beams.
Another thing to add to the explosions part is to allow the explosions vary between impact of shields and impact of armor, say when a projectile hits your shields, It shows an enery type explosion instead of the fireball explosion and a fireball explosion when a projectile hits your armor. This is strictly to help differentiate explosions between shield and armor.

------------------
~Kwanza~

"Quoted the Kwanza Man...nevermore"

(This message has been edited by Kwanzar (edited 04-15-2000).)

I think there should be a bëam resource that had some flags and a palette similar to the ICON resource to customize the beam's pattern.

------------------
OpenGL Avara!

AIM: EVAndrewM

"Man who stand on toilet is high on pot."

(quote)Weepul 884 wrote:
Request 1: sprite-beams. A sprite would simply be repeated, moving along a path that acts like a beam (differences from rapid-fire front-mounted cannon: sprites would line up, would stay in a line even when turning & firing). So, you could have, say, a beam with pulses or a wavy beam...(/quote)

Definitely agree with you there.

(quote) Request 3: option for a moving beam, for both types. You hold the fire key and the front of the beam streams foreward, and the end travels behind it when you release the fire key. (/quote)

That's unrealistic. Beams travel at the speed of light, as you of course know. You wouldn't see it fast enough to catch that kind of effect. Why would you want that, anyway?

(/B)(/QUOTE)

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

AIM: obormot345

Obormot wrote:
That's unrealistic. Beams travel at the speed of light, as you of course know. You wouldn't see it fast enough to catch that kind of effect. Why would you want that, anyway?

Actualy, the Adzara travels like 7 times the speed of light just in normal flight, so what's this about unrealistic? 🙂

------------------
-Shade

"Scorpion petting zoo-
Innovative concepts in exposing city kids to nature."
-Gary Larson

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion, America's finest news source(/url)

It depends on the beam. If it's a laser, it goes at the speed of light but you wouldn't see it anyway unless it went through a dust cloud. If it's a stream of plasma or unusual thing, it wouldn't. Now don't start on plasma would disperse...it's just a game! I'd want this effect because it would look cool! It's a common effect in movies and games! It offers options! Don't get us started about what's real or not...I can list many many games that have green plasma so I don't think EV is too bad. Anyway...

Actualy, the Adzara travels like 7 times the speed of light just in normal flight

Eh? It does? Where does it say that? How did you get that? It sure seems reasonable to me...so are you saying phase bolts go faster than light too? (hmm, interesting plugin idea, we're tearing the fabric of space apart little by little just by flying around... 😉 )

------------------

ShadeOfBlue wrote:
**Actualy, the Adzara travels like 7 times the speed of light just in normal flight, so what's this about unrealistic?:)

Actually, it travels at over 76 times the speed of light. Weepul, I got that because the units for speed in EV/O are astronomical units/hour; and AU is ~149 million km; speed of light is 300,000 km/s; do the math. But that's not my fault! Talk to the game designers. And I concede that it would be a cool effect. But then you'd have to make the front end stream forward, too.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

Obormot wrote:
**But then you'd have to make the front end stream forward, too.

Uh, yeah. I thought I said that.

------------------

Weepul 884 wrote:
**Uh, yeah. I thought I said that.

Oh yeah. Whoops. Hours of staring at a telnet terminal's getting to me.

------------------
Analysis, Mr. Spock?

Originally posted by Obormot:
**Oh yeah. Whoops. Hours of staring at a telnet terminal's getting to me.

Heh.

Don't mind me, I'm just bringing this back up to the top before it falls off the bottom, so Matt Burch will have a greater chance of seeing this...I think they're sorely needed improvements...

------------------