Multiplayer RPG like Escape Velocity

Back a couple of years ago when I used to play escape velocity, I used to think to myself "Wow, wouldnt it be great if all of the ships were human controlled?" Well, I feel that I can finally program something similar to Escape Velocity with this RPG style interface. I just wanted to ask Ambrosia if they had any legal problems with a game similar to theirs (although it will be quite different) in general interface. I also wanted to ask all of you for input on yes or no, and some features. I am going to try really hard not to make this game any kind of rip-off. It will all be open sourced and multiplatform and of course free. I know this is Ambrosia's website, so, in order to not use their bandwidth on my purposes, feel free to e-mail me at jpaul6@hotmail.com with any thoughts.

P.S. Ares is for only two players, correct?

------------------

There is already something like this, but I really don´t know the URL. Ask UE Crusader about it.

------------------
Communism vs. Capitalism
Confeds vs. Rebels
MacOS vs. Windows OR
Rebellious Rebelas that use MacOS and are headed by a S. Jobs vs. Communist Confeds that use Winblows and are headed by a B.Gates.
AIM: EVCorvette

My apologies. I did not know exactly what you meant. Good idea then.

------------------
Communism vs. Capitalism
Confeds vs. Rebels
MacOS vs. Windows OR
Rebellious Rebelas that use MacOS and are headed by a S. Jobs vs. Communist Confeds that use Winblows and are headed by a B.Gates.
AIM: EVCorvette

Shine wrote:
_Back a couple of years ago when I used to play escape velocity, I used to think to myself "Wow, wouldnt it be great if all of the ships were human controlled?" Well, I feel that I can finally program something similar to Escape Velocity with this RPG style interface. I just wanted to ask Ambrosia if they had any legal problems with a game similar to theirs (although it will be quite different) in general interface. I also wanted to ask all of you for input on yes or no, and some features. I am going to try really hard not to make this game any kind of rip-off. It will all be open sourced and multiplatform and of course free. I know this is Ambrosia's website, so, in order to not use their bandwidth on my purposes, feel free to e-mail me at jpaul6@hotmail.com with any thoughts.

P.S. Ares is for only two players, correct?

_

It seems everyone is making a multiplayer EV these days. Ask around on the other webboards about it: especially the developer's one. You might want to hook up with a couple of the other programmers trying to take a crack at it.

------------------
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-Gen. Jack Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

Whoever does it, it'd be cool. And yes, Ares is only two player.

------------------

*** 8 Lightnings - Point at Confed Frigate and hit 'F' to destroy ***

I think its (url="http://"http://www.alienorb.com/celestium.html")http://www.alienorb.com/celestium.html(/url)
The idea they have, while still under very early development, is cool as beans. I've been talking to one of the developers for it and I can barley wait for it to come out.

Jabberwocky=WW=

"Badges? We no neeed no steeenkin badges!"

------------------

What language and what compiler are you going to use? Also, what are your plans as to how the game would work?

Oh, and do you know how to use open transport's c++ libraries? If you do, then I've been looking for someone like you... 😉

------------------

I've got a few things to say...

1. I'm not sure if Ambrosia would really care, but if it is different to EV/o, then they won't mind, but if it is identicle, just with multiplayer they will care, but if its good they might even buy it off you who knows???????????

2. Multiplayer in EV/o would really only be good if you were a group of people in a fleet, or what ever. See if you had everyone being independant you would rearly see each other and therefor there would be no real point in the multiplayer. Unless you were playing on the net with one hundred other people, but how slow would that run?

3. How are you going to design a simple game that can support multiplayer, and also good enough graphix to interest people?

4. I say, if you can work out a good enough design, that incorperates really good multiplayer + story line + decent graphix then go for it, i'm with you!

dude5432

------------------
Jt

Actually, I'm just an amateur programmer giving this a shot. I haven't done much with networking in the past, but I plan to learn. As far as that alien orb production, it sounds a good bit more complicated than I have experience for.

------------------