Would it be possible to...

Would it be possible to let the player choose the race to start with so it would allow a lot more options to the player. Or is it to complicated to do?

------------------
I'll Eliminat u!

Within the confines of what exactly? Are you making a plug?

If so, you havta make the system the player is starting in of ID# 128.

If it is an expansion to EVO, you have to do alot of editing, there are many references to you being a human throughout the game....

Be more specific...

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

What I meant is, at the start of a new player you have to decide if you want to be: a human, a miranu, an azdagari (sp), a zidara, a voinian, or a idzgara. Ex: if I choose to be a miranu then I start in the miranu space and it is easier to get miranu missions. An other example: if you start as an zidara it's harder for you to get azdagari (sp) mission, etc... If it is possible would it be easier to make a plug-in or an update or even an entirely new game...

------------------
I'll Eliminat u!

You'd have to write a separate plug for each option. Depending on the number of changes you decide to make, even one would be a fairly major project, but it could be worthwhile if you added in options (ie. mission strings, hardware etc.) which were appropriate to the species and missing from the original game.

~R~

It would also be possible to distribute "starter" pilot files. Many plug-ins take this approach. You distribute a starter pilot for each race you want as an option, and each pilot would have the appropriate mission bits, ship, current system, etc. pre-defined...

As for all the editing neccesary to EVO in order to do this. An extensive, but small scale plug that adjusts all the mission text and a few other details would be sufficient, only to make the text more generic.

------------------

(This message has been edited by kberg (edited 03-03-2000).)

I had an idea like this once, but I gave up on it. Here's what you'd have to do..

1. make a seperate data file for each race with that race's home world being stellar 128. Also edit the missions and that stuff.

2)make a shuttlecraft-like ship for each race, so all races would be equal at the beginning

------------------
"You all look like happy campers to me. In fact, you are happy campers. You always have been happy campers. As far as I'm concerned, you'll always be happy campers."

-Dan Quayle on a 1990 state trip to Samolia