lost in the western reaches

I realise I am well behind you guys in my adventures, and hope I am not generating too much repetition. At the moment I am stuck in the western reaches, this is my first visit to this region, having previously gone to the eastern region from central caverns. I think firstly I may need an upgrade or bug fix. When you go up above the spikey bits on the wall to the table, and the trunk, I can go up but ferazel disappears out of the top of the screen, I know he's up there somewhere but can't see him. I am on version 1.02.

Secondly I have collected underwater xircons, potions, coins etc and end up by the very large acid pool with the dodgy plank. Now I know there must be more to the region than this but I am totally stuck. I can see a transporter (up above sort of left) but cannot get there. Am I being totally stupid or is there a solution? 😕 I sort of feel that if I go up and over I could get there.

All assistance greatfully appreciated.

------------------
"I think there is a world market for about five computers."
- Thomas J. Watson, founder of IBM

First, you should upgrade to version 1.03.

Here is a link:
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=ferazel&category;=essentials&display;=date&file;=Ferazel_Update.bin")http://www.AmbrosiaS...azel_Update.bin(/url)

Second, once you have updated: There is a habnabit you must talk to nicely who will give you the key to the door. Go down on the mine car. Then go up and up. Just before the pool of acid you can go up again and you will find him up there.

Don't worry about the transporter.

Perhaps someone else can describe it better?

------------------
It is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. (I wish I could remember this before posting!)

Thanks for that, I'm not sure I described myself too well. I will obviously upgrade asap. The reason I mentioned the transporter is because if I go left I hit the acid with dodgy plank, if I go down in the deep water I die, if I go right I am back at the way in having discovered very little, killed very little and collected very little. If I go up I disappear off the screen. The transporter seemed to be my only option.

Where is the mine car?

------------------

Originally posted by Anonymouse:
**I realise I am well behind you guys in my adventures, and hope I am not generating too much repetition. At the moment I am stuck in the western reaches, this is my first visit to this region, having previously gone to the eastern region from central caverns. I think firstly I may need an upgrade or bug fix. When you go up above the spikey bits on the wall to the table, and the trunk, I can go up but ferazel disappears out of the top of the screen, I know he's up there somewhere but can't see him. I am on version 1.02.

Secondly I have collected underwater xircons, potions, coins etc and end up by the very large acid pool with the dodgy plank. Now I know there must be more to the region than this but I am totally stuck. I can see a transporter (up above sort of left) but cannot get there. Am I being totally stupid or is there a solution? 😕 I sort of feel that if I go up and over I could get there.

All assistance greatfully appreciated.

Hi Anonymous (if that is your REAL name...I have my doubts...) Welcome to the world of all things Ferazel. You're not alone, people are still playing the actual game. Quite a few.

Ferazel disappearing off your screen happens every so often. You just have to bring him back because that means you're "out of bounds" so to speak. There's nothing there.

You'll find a way to get to that transporter later in the level and when you do, you'll find it's one of those, 'oh, that was sort of pointless," things. Now, in order to make progress in the level from where you are, run up that dodgy plank thing and grab the cliff wall on the other side and climb on up. The trick here is that you have to run across the plank in such a way that you're running UP it and not just straight across. Stand on the one side just for a fraction of a moment so that the other end rises up into the air...like a seesaw. You'll get the hang of it. 🙂

To update to version 1.03, go (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=ferazel&category;=essentials&display;=date&file;=Ferazel_Update.bin")"here"(/url)

Post here whenever you get stuck if you'd like a bit of help. Good luck!

---Zelda

------------------
I am your Fairy Godmoderator.

All I know is that wherever Ben goes, great software follows--Merciless

Oops..I repeated information because you guys posted before I got my post up! I had to leave and come back. Sorry about that. And I just noticed that you're AnonyMOUSE. Verra clever. 🙂

---Zelda

------------------

(This message has been edited by Zelda (edited 05-25-2001).)

Cheers!

Sorry I obviously was being a bit slow. :redface: Will upgrade and run like stink 😄

p.s. I'll be back

------------------

(This message has been edited by Anonymouse (edited 05-25-2001).)

For great guides and tips, I would reccommend the following sites:

(url="http://"http://www.employees.3gi.com/~ereid/ferazel/")http://www.employees...~ereid/ferazel/(/url)

(url="http://"http://www.macosjournal.com/staff/erica/ferazel/")http://www.macosjour.../erica/ferazel/(/url)

Good Luck!

------------------
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.
-Clarence Darrow

(This message has been edited by Emperor Ent (edited 05-25-2001).)

Right, silly question number 25!

I have run the upgrade, should I see any difference? it still shows my version as 1.02.

Thanks for the tip about the guides, I was following a guide which was why I asked about the transporter cos it say to use it, but I couldn't get there. It also says that you don't need to use the jump power up as there is nothing that you cannot reach without it. I certainly can't reach the treasure chest without the power up.

Has anybody spent far to long trying the same moves over and over again? I have been trying to get to the sick habnabit since friday, (it is now tuesday) If the jump power up would only last a bit longer I might succeed. I have been constantly running between the iridium pool, the power up and habnabit for days now - I guess I am just U S at this game.

------------------

**Right, silly question number 25!

I have run the upgrade, should I see any difference? it still shows my version as 1.02.

Thanks for the tip about the guides, I was following a guide which was why I asked about the transporter cos it say to use it, but I couldn't get there. It also says that you don't need to use the jump power up as there is nothing that you cannot reach without it. I certainly can't reach the treasure chest without the power up.

Has anybody spent far to long trying the same moves over and over again? I have been trying to get to the sick habnabit since friday, (it is now tuesday) If the jump power up would only last a bit longer I might succeed. I have been constantly running between the iridium pool, the power up and habnabit for days now - I guess I am just U S at this game.

Your version SHOULD now say it's 1.03 if you ran the upgrade right. I'm not sure why it wouldn't. You wouldn't notice anything different in the game really...especially where you are. It fixes a few bugs like disappearing spells and so forth.

You don't need the powerup to reach the sick habnabit. There is a series of ledges that you have to jump up to reach him.

---Zelda

------------------

Hurrah, it's Friday and last night I finally reached the habnabit (using the power up) I'm surprised he hadn't died of boredom whilst waiting for me. I have run the upgrade again and it still shows 1.02, I no longer disappear off the top of the screen, so I guess it must have worked.

When I left western reaches I was at 100% (hurrah) but was out of magic. I nipped back to to scent of peril and bought some more potions. Proceeded into central caverns and for some reason went back underwater thru towards western reaches (probably because despite leaping about I still cannot get onto the cloud above the water with the xirchons on the right) and the knife throwing goblins were there?! I confess confusion.

I think my lack of jumping ability may be connected to my input device.

Sorry I think I'm rambling

------------------

No, it's fine to ramble, but not as much as Dr. Tall 😉 But really, this board is for asking legitimate questions about Ferazel, and you're doing perfectly fine. If you were annoying or troubling us, we wouldn't be here. We're here to help, so ask away!

------------------
If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?

**Hurrah, it's Friday and last night I finally reached the habnabit (using the power up) I'm surprised he hadn't died of boredom whilst waiting for me. I have run the upgrade again and it still shows 1.02, I no longer disappear off the top of the screen, so I guess it must have worked.

When I left western reaches I was at 100% (hurrah) but was out of magic. I nipped back to to scent of peril and bought some more potions. Proceeded into central caverns and for some reason went back underwater thru towards western reaches (probably because despite leaping about I still cannot get onto the cloud above the water with the xirchons on the right) and the knife throwing goblins were there?! I confess confusion.

I think my lack of jumping ability may be connected to my input device.

Sorry I think I'm rambling

Are you clicking on a saved game to start the game? This would startup the old version. To get the new version make sure you are clicking on the Ferazel's Wand 1.03 icon to start the game and then opening the saved game from there.

You really don't need the power up to get to the injured habnabit - there are xichrons marking the footholds on the wall to get up there.

------------------
It is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. (I wish I could remember this before posting!)

I see the Xirchons and the ledges and I understand what is required, I use a saitek joystick and although I have updated my input sprockets and calibrated I am sure it lacks some oommph somewhere in the jump/precision dept. There are several places I have been unable to get to even though I feel I should.

At the swingy bits over the bottomless pit in easternreaches I know that I must go vastly left or right onto the ledge or die, I die cos no matter how I try I am never left/right enough.

Cheers peeps. 🙂

------------------

**I use a saitek joystick

Is it possible to try using the keyboard controls? (I tried a joystick initially but have since stuck to the keyboard as being a more precise control method).
You are going to have major problems later if you can't leap! The levels you're on so far are relatively tame.

------------------

Greetings, I am progressing (slowly) in my quest. Does anybody else suffer from sweaty palms? Ferazel spends a lot of time dancing while I wipe my hands before a tricky bit! If you are at the edge of something,does he drop off mid boogie? With regards to joysticks etc I have one of the silly reduced keyboards, which is probably not helping. Does anybody use a game pad? are they any good? which one?
Cheers 🙂

------------------