Xichra?

I just played the whole Ferazel for the 5th time and I noticed something.

When a monster dies, it disappears. Xichra didn't disappear. Yet the final picture said "Who was behind that Mandikatri mask". Why couldn't he just remove the mask?

It's really annoying not to know who Xichra is. His girlfriend? His mother? His sister? The most annoying part is that there won't be Ferazel 2, so we'll never know.

I wonder if someone else can start Ferazel 2, using the name and maybe some graphics from the version 1.0. Is this legally possible or only Ben can do a Ferazel II?

Hmm, looks like my Karma raised. Yes, I know, I was a criminal. :rolleyes:

I might change my name to iAussie... What do you think?

------------------

In one word, NO. No one can duplicate the code used by Ben Spees, and no one under the age of 25 has the sprite and particle programs he used for the effects. But it is still stupid that you can't know who Xichra is.

------------------
-Jimbo is funny, poo smells, and nutcups are good.

Originally posted by FerazelFreak:
**...and no one under the age of 25 has the sprite and particle programs he used for the effects.

Uh, what makes you so certain about that?

------------------
-- Jeff
"All I know is that wherever Ben goes, great software follows." -Merciless

The best thing would be to make a new, extremly expandable Platform Scrolling game, and make a Ferazel 2 level set for it.

If anyone wanted to work on a great open source Platform Scrolling game with support for plugins that could change the physics, animation, etc, I'd probably help.
::looks at Merciless::

Originally posted by FerazelFreak:
**...and no one under the age of 25 has the sprite and particle programs he used for the effects.

Uh, he used (url="http://"http://www.spriteworld.org")SpriteWorld(/url), a great sprite animation toolkit, I use it, and I'm 14.
The only way the MASCOT Engine differs from SpriteWorld, is that Ben modified SpriteWorld to support Paralax Scrolling.

------------------
Most people are swindled into believing stupid things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy, God(s), etc.
They later side with common sense and stop believing in most of them.
Yet most refuse to let go of the ridiculous notion of the existence of God(s).

Originally posted by aschaaf_86:
If anyone wanted to work on a great open source Platform Scrolling game with support for plugins that could change the physics, animation, etc, I'd probably help.
::looks at Merciless::

What're ya looking at me fer? 😉 Seriously though, work on my game is going well now (seeing as how I'm on a four month summer at the moment), but, I would prefer to keep it closed source for various reasons.

However , I would consider making it highly - or at least somewhat - expandable (level editor included, of course) with support for some sort of plug-in architecture. I have some ideas tossing around in my head right now of how to deal with this, but here is where you come in! What features in terms of plug-in ability would you want to see? What sort of features do you want? Although I won't act on this information directly right away, it will make creating the plug-in setup easier since I can start coding the stuff I'll be adding from now on to support it (and go back to change appropriate things that have already been added). Also, in terms of features, what would you want to see in the game itself? What did you like about Ferazel? What didn't you like and how would have have rather seen it implimented (if at all)? I already have most of my game's details fleshed out, but getting feedback from the people who will possibly be playing it would benefit both you and me. (Are you still interested in my endeavour, Zelda? :))

Anyway, I'm going to start a new topic here so you can post your suggestions/comments about the plug-in thing and features.

**Uh, he used SpriteWorld, a great sprite animation toolkit, I use it, and I'm 14.
The only way the MASCOT Engine differs from SpriteWorld, is that Ben modified SpriteWorld to support Paralax Scrolling.

He actually didn't. This was confirmed by Vern a while ago, although Ben did use similar techniques in FW. I seem to remember Vern saying that Ben might have been considering donating his parallax stuff to the SW cause, but I'm not certain. Oh, and there are way more ways that the MASCOT engine differs from SW than just the parallax 🙂

------------------
-- Jeff

Ok, I just checked the archives, and here is what Anders posted (he's one of the two programmers that maintain and upgrade the SpriteWorld libraries. And yes, aschaaf, I know you're on the list too :p)

(url="http://"http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/swml/2001/000610.html")http://www.pairlist....001/000610.html(/url)

The stuff in the "low-level" quote is me 🙂

------------------
-- Jeff

(This message has been edited by Merciless (edited 05-05-2001).)

Huh, I remember seeing a post on another topic from Zelda just like that. Oh well, maybe we can do it. :redface:

------------------
-Jimbo is funny, poo smells, and nutcups are good.