Trouble with Parched Earth, and a couple of other q's...

I keep getting delayed at those rotating cannons in Parched Earth. I've heard of the fire-when-the-cannon-reaches-its-highest-point trick, but I can't seem to make it work--I always fall just short of the next non-rotating cannon, and waste valuable seconds trying to get back up. Is my timing off or is there some other trick to this?

And, just out of curiosity:

- What exactly did the Ice Crystal spell do? I didn't get to Iceconoclasm until after installing the 1.0.3 update so I never experienced this wonderful little bug.

- Has anyone beaten Xichra without using FerazEdit to get the vorpal dirk and 300 ziridium seeds and God knows what else? Seems kind of unfair if you have to use a cheat program in order to beat her.

------------------

Timing is everything in Parched Earth. (no kidding!) Which set of cannons are you running into problems at? (Two or three thousand tries and you'll get it down, then get to move to the next area where timing will have to be figured out.) Sometimes it makes a difference whether you use your "run" key when you get blasted out of the cannon.

Can't answer the other questions.

------------------

AUUUUUGH! I finally got past those cannons without the clock running down too much, and then I got hit by the next-to-last spike ball at the end of the level and died! And I had 20 seconds left too! beats forehead against monitor repeatedly

Ergh. Next time I'm gonna buy a health potion from Rojinko before entering Parched Earth.

------------------

If you are still having trouble with Parched Earth, e-mail me your game (compressed if possible) and I'll beat it for you. BTW, I have beaten Xichra w/o FerazEdit, and Ice Crystals is like Ice Wall, except it goes straight and doen't make ice ledges. (It's pretty useless) 🙂

------------------
Calvin Crane
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong!"

(This message has been edited by FriendlyGuy (edited 07-07-2000).)

Originally posted by FriendlyGuy:
**If you are still having trouble with Parched Earth, e-mail me your game (compressed if possible) and I'll beat it for you.

Thank you, but no. I think I can do it myself as long as I go into the level with a health potion. (I've only had the full game for a week and I've already beaten the eastern half of the map, so I must be doing SOMEthing right...)

------------------

Originally posted by CyberCat:
**Thank you, but no. I think I can do it myself as long as I go into the level with a health potion. (I've only had the full game for a week and I've already beaten the eastern half of the map, so I must be doing SOMEthing right...)

Truly, there is nothing more satisfying than FINALLY getting through and beating that clock! You can go back later and collect all the goodies.

------------------

Originally posted by MonsterLady:

Truly, there is nothing more satisfying than FINALLY getting through and beating that clock! You can go back later and collect all the goodies.

Here, here! (or is that hear, hear? :))

Beating Parched Earth is a great feeling - however, it can't hold a candle to the feeling you get after beating If You Can't Stand The Heat... I mean, Parched Earth you're just racing a clock, in IYCSTH you're racing a wall of fire that is brutal, and relentless 🙂

------------------

-- Jeff

(This message has been edited by Merciless (edited 07-08-2000).)

My thoughts exactly! But never think it can't get worse. After I finaly beat parched earth I completed the dig with ease. I thought it was going to be a smooth ride on. UNTIL I FOUND 'IF YOU CAN"T STAND THE HEAT'!!! After finally beating that I thought " What could be worse than racing against a wall of fire all the way across the level?" The answer: Racing against a wall af fire chasing you DOWN the level. And I still haven't beaten 'Out of the frying pan'. Any tips?

Oh ya, I forgot, the ice crystal spell is a blue fireball that fly's strait.

Hi, as a truly burnt member of the Parched Earth Club, have faith, you can
make it through. The first couple of times, do it just to do it...forget the clock. Get a feel for it...go back into the boards from the beginning. You can pick up some valuable hints from those before you. Trust me...it's helpful. When you get passed the cannons....do not stop to pick up any goodies...just keep going...I made it after 2months...with 4 seconds to spare. And if you don't already know....it does get hotter out there!!!!! LOL

------------------