extra spells/levels

I was pillaging through the rescource forks of the various ferazel's wand data files when I discovered some nifty looking things. first off, there appre to be sevral undocumented spells. sandstorm, ice crystals, Density ball, Energy bolt, ice shards, and what looks like an upgraded fire ball. It also appears that there are 2 more ice levels, or at least titles undeleted form the beta. They are Ice Caverns 3 and Ice Boss. I have also discoverd the sprites for two female sprites. also, I havn't been able to locate any of the mirrors or shards, poppyseed muffins, the locket, the hammer, the light orb, the vorpal Dirk or the mist potion. if anyone knows where any of these things are, would you please be so kind as to post it here as either a spoiler w/ warning, or just telling the level it's in, I would be most appreciative. Either that or you can e-mail me the spoiler at Dangr@dnai.com. Thank you in advance for your help.

(This message has been edited by GeX (edited 02-08-2000).)

Well, I got ice crystals in place of ice wall, but so did you (right?) and everyone else. If it really exists in the world I don't know where it is! I noticed all those resources too... and I remember thinking quite clearly, "What on earth would a poppy seed muffin do?!?!?" 🙂

------------------

Rilla wrote:
**I remember thinking quite clearly, "What on earth would a poppy seed muffin do?!?!?":)

A poppyseed muffin is tasty and nutritious. It leaves you feeling warm and happy. MUST it have another purpose? 🙂

---Zelda

Uh...of course not! 🙂 A poppyseed muffin need be nothing more than it is. 😛

BTW, after more examination of the resources, I noticed that there is no conversation resource for Taryn, Sara, or the Forest Nymph Matriarch, so either 1) they don't say anything, 2) they don't exist, or 3) Ben has found some tricky way of hiding their resources from our sight. Also, while the levels "Ice Cavern 3" and "Ice Boss" exist as title, they don't have level map resources...

------------------

yea, but what about the ice crystal spell, or the sand storm spell or stuff like that? and to anyone who has actually beaten the game, have you actually seen the faries?

------------------
"Sometimes I think that the surrest sign that there intellegent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-GeX

I didn't see any fairies. It's safe to say that at least the ice crystal spell does exist because we did mistakenly get it, so maybe the other spells do too, but they may not actually be in the game. If there is a sandstorm spell, I'd expect it in either Parched Earth or The Dig. I have 100% of the secrets in Parched Earth (but only 96% of the Xirchons, darn it!) so it isn't there; anyone have 100% on The Dig?

------------------

Rilla wrote:
**I didn't see any fairies. It's safe to say that at least the ice crystal spell does exist because we did mistakenly get it, so maybe the other spells do too, but they may not actually be in the game. If there is a sandstorm spell, I'd expect it in either Parched Earth or The Dig. I have 100% of the secrets in Parched Earth (but only 96% of the Xirchons, darn it!) so it isn't there; anyone have 100% on The Dig?

You got through Parched Earth?!?

How did you do it??!?!?!
------------------

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03-10-2000).)

With mostly a lot of me falling, getting back up, and trying all over again. It was, to say the least, a lengthy process... 😛

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rilla (edited 03-10-2000).)

Rilla wrote:
**I didn't see any fairies. It's safe to say that at least the ice crystal spell does exist because we did mistakenly get it, so maybe the other spells do too, but they may not actually be in the game. If there is a sandstorm spell, I'd expect it in either Parched Earth or The Dig. I have 100% of the secrets in Parched Earth (but only 96% of the Xirchons, darn it!) so it isn't there; anyone have 100% on The Dig?

I got 100% of secrets in The Dig, but there was no sandstorm spell; nor any other spell listed above. I'm not a programmer type; can anyone tell me how I would go about getting in to the resources of the game? Thanks.

whitedog

------------------
Let my inspiration flow, in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm... -Hunter/Garcia

Ok, time to clear up some stuff.

First of all, the Sandstorm spell was taken out by Ben for reasons unknown (to us anyway...Ben has his reasons) He stated so in a previous post when someone asked about it (the person had added the spell to his saved game but when he tried to use it, nothing would come out of Ferazel's wand). Same thing goes with the other spells and items. Apparently, they had no real significant use in the game, so they were ousted.

About the levels: I noticed them too the second time around looking through the resources and was curious. My guess is that Ben originally wanted those levels in the game, but either didn't get around to making them, or didn't feel they needed to be included. That might explain why the ice caverns world is the only one in the game without a 'boss'.

The 'fairy' is actually Queen Xichra. Yup, that's right...the final boss herself. How do I know? I beat the game 😛 The only thing that I would change about the end-of-game sequence would be to have all the 'baddies' parade across the screen a la Donkey Kong Country (hint hint Ben 🙂 )

Hope that clears up some stuff for you guys!

------------------
-- Jeff

Xichra looks a little too nasty to be a fairy, I think... check out sprite resources 2958, 2959, and 2960. Those are the fairy/nymph/whatevers I meant, and they never do show up. They even have conversation pictures: 4010, 4011, 4012.

------------------

Rilla wrote:
**Xichra looks a little too nasty to be a fairy, I think... check out sprite resources 2958, 2959, and 2960. Those are the fairy/nymph/whatevers I meant, and they never do show up. They even have conversation pictures: 4010, 4011, 4012.

Ah, so those are the ones you meant. Yeah, I remember seeing those too, but not in the game.

I remember a while ago before the demo was released I saw a sketch of Ferazel and his 'girlfriend' (I can't remember where I saw it) and she looked just like what's in resources 2958 and 2959.

I'm not really sure why they aren't in the game. Probably for the same reasons a few spells were left out.

------------------
-- Jeff

(This message has been edited by Merciless (edited 03-12-2000).)

Originally posted by Rilla:
**Xichra looks a little too nasty to be a fairy, I think... check out sprite resources 2958, 2959, and 2960. Those are the fairy/nymph/whatevers I meant, and they never do show up. They even have conversation pictures: 4010, 4011, 4012.

I don't understand. What are resource forks and how do you look at them?

------------------

Ah well... you asked for it. 😛

Macintosh applications, being totally inherently superior to all Windoze apps, have two forks: a data fork and a resource fork. The data fork has code in it. Resources have more amusing things like pictures, sound, menus, icons, strings, all that good stuff.

Anyway, using a my favorite editor ResEdit, you can open up applications and their supporting files to view all these hidden goodies. ResEdit is free, and not so large that you can't download it even on a modem. download.com should have it, for one. If you have more questions, feel free to email me!

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rilla (edited 04-27-2000).)

**Ah well... you asked for it.:p

Macintosh applications, being totally inherently superior to all Windoze apps, have two forks: a data fork and a resource fork. The data fork has code in it. Resources have more amusing things like pictures, sound, menus, icons, strings, all that good stuff.

Anyway, using a my favorite editor ResEdit, you can open up applications and their supporting files to view all these hidden goodies. ResEdit is free, and not so large that you can't download it even on a modem. download.com should have it, for one. If you have more questions, feel free to email me!

but, be extremely careful how you use it. Only ever work on copies and never look at your actual system files. For such a small programme Res is incredibly powerful. You have been warned.

------------------

Originally posted by Alan:
**but, be extremely careful how you use it. Only ever work on copies and never look at your actual system files. For such a small programme Res is incredibly powerful. You have been warned.

I'd have to disagree. True, ResEdit can do some serious damage to your computer (well, not necessarily the computer, but the software), but as long as you don't save any of the changes you make (or know what you're doing whilst messing around in the fork) nothing bad will happen. Developers have to look in the system file sometimes if they want to make a custom file dialog (I know most people aren't developers, I'm just saying :)) Besides, just looking around won't mess up anything. Most of what I know about Mac files and programs I learned from foraging around in ResEdit 🙂 If anything, ResEdit is a great teaching tool for entry-level Mac users (and power users as well)

Just my $0.02 🙂

------------------
-- Jeff

I kind of agree, but there can be problems with ResEdit. Say, for instance, if ResEdit crashes while you're editing the Finder... that's not a good thing. Plus, saving can happen accidentally and when you're poking around in the System or Finder you don't want that. Usually, I'll play with normal apps and files (i.e. Ferazel) without making a backup copy, but for system-critical files I'll make a copy and edit that, even if I'm just going to look around.

I definately agree it's a good teaching tool, though. It's also great for doing fun things without having to program... like once for my mom's birthday I changed a Tetris game so that it dropped cakes and presents. 🙂

------------------

**Say, for instance, if ResEdit crashes while you're editing the Finder... that's not a good thing. Plus, saving can happen accidentally and when you're poking around in the System or Finder you don't want that.

Yeah, the odd mishap can mean real problems for you in the future 🙂

I wonder if ResEdit will be updated to support Aqua/Mac OS X or if Apple has made a new program like it for the new OS (perhaps PowerPlant will become as mainstream as ResEdit is, but I highly doubt that :p)

As we all now, the last update for ResEdit was in 1994, whereas Resourcer has support for a lot of the new resources present in System 8.5 and such.

I guess we'll have to see.

------------------
-- Jeff

**Ah well... you asked for it.:p

Thank you Rilla! 🙂 I found the spells and the sprites 🆒

------------------