Iceconoclasm Q

In Iceconoclasm, after you go over the pool by jumping on your ice wall pads, you then go up. To the left, you cross another pool by jumping from pillow to pillow. How did you all get onto the last pillow. The mace ball on the chain keeps knocking me into the icy drink. Any hints? Thanks!

------------------

I have this exact same problem. I figured that I would work on other things and then come back to this when I have absolutely nothing left! 😛 If anyone has made it all the way across, please give us a spoiler on how you did it!

Thanks!

Nif

------------------

cats wrote:
**In Iceconoclasm, after you go over the pool by jumping on your ice wall pads, you then go up. To the left, you cross another pool by jumping from pillow to pillow. How did you all get onto the last pillow. The mace ball on the chain keeps knocking me into the icy drink. Any hints? Thanks!

I didn't succeed to.
But I used the invincibility shield and swam in the icy water better than use ice walls on the water (Magic economy, I need this magic power later to climb the spiky walls and save the green cristals in the crates).
For the pillows I'm not able to reach the 3rd everytimes with the key Opt maj 4. When I success in the same mace you told about knocks me for the same result.

------------------

Oh good. It wasn't just me. I haven't been able to get there either and I've spent much time on it with great frustration .I finally decided that it was a matter of getting the timing down absolutely perfect and that I probably could never do it.

---Zelda

It sounds like maybe we need some "divine intervention" here from Ben or another Ambrosian . . . 😛 I know it has to be possible!

Nif :rolleyes:

------------------

Well, I can confirm that it's possible -- I managed to do it once after many, many tries. Unfortunately, there's no spoiler, it's really just about timing. At one point you can jump up and grab onto an overhang and then jump back down at the right moment, but that doesn't decrease difficulty all that much.

Actually, it's not that hard. Ferazel can get on the blocks the mace balls are spinning on and stay there as long as he wants if he ducks. After you get on the second pillow, just jump onto the first block and the rest is really a piece of cake. 😉 I made it on my third try. 😄

------------------

Yes, I discovered that thing about jumping on the block that the mace is swinging from, back above the "purple pool" in the Labyrinth--the one where all the purple stuff in the world won't save you, if you let that mace get you a couple of times, because it swings and hits you faster than the zeridium can fill up your health!

Of course, there ARE a couple of blocks that you WON'T be able to stand on and duck--for instance, the one shortly before you get to he magic carpet, in the Labyrinth!

Linda

------------------

Okay . . . I finally made it across! I'll try to explain exactly what I did. Getting from the first to second "pillow" is easy since they overlap. Then I do a run-jump to the third, then when the fourth comes close I jumped with just a little bit to the left. Then I did a run-jump to the fifth, and a left-jump to the sixth. I think there were only 6, but I could be wrong.

I couple words to the wise though. 1) It took me about 4 hours of trying over and over again to get this (over 3 days); and 2) Don't just jump into the icy water! I did that and immediately fell to the bottom and died. It took me another 2 hours to get back there again! 😛 When I did get back there again, I got back onto one of the "pillows" and then let a mace ball lop me off -- with the invincibility shield, there's no pain! 🙂

Happy Ferazel-ing!

Nif :eek:

------------------

Yeah, this is a hazard with any infinitely deep water. I think if you walk into the water and then hold down the jump key as soon as you hit, that will prevent you from sinking below the point of no return.

cats wrote:
**In Iceconoclasm, after you go over the pool by jumping on your ice wall pads, you then go up. To the left, you cross another pool by jumping from pillow to pillow. How did you all get onto the last pillow. The mace ball on the chain keeps knocking me into the icy drink. Any hints? Thanks!

I know this question came up a while back, but as I have been revisiting everywhere, I discovered something here that I thought I would post for anyone who's interested. I have been so frustrated trying to cross back over the icy pool on those pillows that have such poor timing! What I found that worked really well was to use the statue spell. When you shoot it the pillow you are on becomes still and then you can shoot the next one as it gets close and then hop across. In just a few seconds they begin moving again and you can repeat it. What's nice is they usually (not always) start moving as the mace balls are on the down swing, so as you cross over, you can freeze your pillow again in between each of the mace balls and continue on. Took a few tries, but then after I got the timing down - worked like a charm.

------------------

All of the talk about using the ice wall spell to climb spike walls leads me to believe that a special technique is involved. Invariably Ferazel gets damaged by the spikes, and the ice shelves die before he can climb all the way up. I have seen discussions on using tree trunks for similar situations, but again Ferazel just falls down while trying to shoot more height onto the tree and the whole thing disappears before he can climb up again. Is this one of those things that takes about 250 attempts before success is possible? (Idle musings, in case anyone has insight into the proper solution.)

Meanwhile, back in Ends of the Earth and Iceconoclasm, Ferazel keeps trying!

Grandalf the Grizzled

------------------

Grandalf wrote:
**...Ferazel just falls down while trying to shoot more height onto the tree and the whole thing disappears before he can climb up again. Is this one of those things that takes about 250 attempts before success is possible? (Idle musings, in case anyone has insight into the proper solution.)

Meanwhile, back in Ends of the Earth and Iceconoclasm, Ferazel keeps trying!

Grandalf the Grizzled

I found the Tree Trunk spell much easier than the Ice Wall spell. With the Tree Trunk spell- you shoot a little, climb a little, shoot a little, climb up a little more until you reach the top. The Ice Wall spell is harder because it's not wide enough and you keep hitting the spikes. The only solution I found which you can use in alot of cases in Iceconoclasm (but not ALL, of course) is to shoot the Ice Wall spell on one side of the spikes, then over to the other side and keep criss-crossing. Easier to get up before it melts. Uses SOOOO much magic, though. And, hey, Gandalf - have fun in Ends of the Earth!! 🙂

------------------

Here's my tips for using the Ice Wall spell at the place where there are spike on both sides. I'll add them to the Player's Guide too, so they can be found easily:

Shoot the Ice Wall spell at the right wall. Jump (carefully) onto the ice ledge that's produced. Then, to work your way up the right wall, hit your jump key and your spell key at the same time. It might take a couple tries to get it just right, but you jump higher than where the spell hits the wall, effectively creating the new little ice ledge below you for you to land on. No direction keys necessary, so you don't get any closer to the spikes. Then when you can't go higher on the right wall, carefully turn to face the left wall. Start at the beginning of these instructions, reversing references to left/right as necessary.

This method gets you further up the wall in each shot than shooting then jumping, thereby using less magic in total.

Hope this helps somebody. It works pretty well for me.
-Elizabeth

------------------
Find Hints, Tips, and Tricks for Helpers of Habnabits in the (url="http://"http://employees.3gi.com/~ereid/ferazel")Ferazel's Wand Player's Guide(/url) (http://employees.3gi.../~ereid/ferazel)

(This message has been edited by Ereid (edited 04-12-2000).)

I agree with Elizabeth. That's the way I use the Ice Wall spell all the time, and it works really well.

As for the tree trunk spell, I seem to be the only person (based on the posts to the board) that just stands at the bottom, shoots about 10-20 times (depending on where I'm going) and then jumps up the trunk I made. Everyone seems to shoot a couple times, then jump up, shoot some more, jump up, etc.

------------------
-- Jeff

Thanks everybody! 🙂

The morale is back; I'll give it another go and see what happens.

Grandalf

------------------

Merciless wrote:
**I agree with Elizabeth. That's the way I use the Ice Wall spell all the time, and it works really well.

As for the tree trunk spell, I seem to be the only person (based on the posts to the board) that just stands at the bottom, shoots about 10-20 times (depending on where I'm going) and then jumps up the trunk I made. Everyone seems to shoot a couple times, then jump up, shoot some more, jump up, etc.

Tried that. Worked, up to a point. Not high enough, and Ferazel doesn't stay put while trying to add to height; he just falls all the way down. Ten or twelve tries hasn't produced any indications of success, so maybe it's one of those split second key sequences that is needed. Also tried the one where you shoot a couple of times, with the same result; Ferazel just falls off while trying to shoot to build up height. Obviously it is possible, because some have managed to do it. Back to the numb fingers. :frown:

Grandalf

------------------

• Has anyone tried the statue spell on pillows/clouds?
    (Maybe you should... )

• Climbing spiked walls: Yes, use the ice crystals. When you jump on the first one, FIRST position yourself on the outer edge of it -- you need the space between you and the wall when creating new ice steps above. It does work... and it is hard. BE CONSERVATIVE ON MAGIC if you can, because you'll be using this a lot on this level.

• BUGISH REPORT: On v.1.0.3 (the latest update) on Iceconclasm, there's a cliff with a vertical "pillowvator." You enter the scene from the left/west, and the wall on the right has an invicibility power-up behind a destructable wall. At the bottom of the cliff, you can see something (can't recall if it's a crate or money bag or crystal or something); which is only accessible in a later cavern. When in the cavity above with the power-up, you can throw fire/zirid. seeds through the rock, where it falls below and blows up the goblin. Game play seems ok, but it's an interesting... feature.

I also got several Sprites Not Loaded errors when blowing up crates which apparently contained slimes. When the crate was gone, the SNL error boxes moved and made slime sound effects.

This was a fun level! More manageable than that dog gone Flash Freeze! Now if I could just get more time in "Botched Earth... "

------------------

<`{{{><

(This message has been edited by Jodeo (edited 04-13-2000).)

yes you can freeze the "pillows"
i've found it makes jumping on them much easier

the other things i've tried and succeeded on are 1) jumping up and latching on to the celing (not actually the celing) 2) jumping on the blocks in the center of the "mace balls on a chain" and ducking to avoid the maces themselves.

good luck all