Xichra's Lair - anyone beaten her yet?

Hi folks.

I've finally struggled into Xichra's lair - well supplied (or so I thought).
I have 99 regular bombs, 99 magical bombs, a health potion and 4 rez necklaces.

I can beat the bejezus out of Xichra, the background is red & flashing, I knock her down, again, again, again, again... and eventually I die.

Am I missing something really obvious, or do you have to hit Xichra a stupendous number of times?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Mike
MThomson@iee.org if you want to keep it personal.

------------------

Well, from my experience, you just have to attack her...over and over and over. If you get to the part where a conversation window opens and Xicrha says something, you're getting really close.

------------------
-- Jeff

I do know that when you knock Xichra down, for a while when she's on the ground you can hit her with normal fire, i.e. fireball, boomerangs, tree trucks, etc. I have no idea if this speeds up the process of her dying or not, but you can try it!

------------------

Quote:

"I do know that when you knock Xichra down, for a while when she's on the ground you can hit her with normal fire, i.e. fireball, boomerangs, tree trucks, etc. I have no idea if this speeds up the process of her dying or not, but you can try it!"

This would have sped it up a lot with a normal boss. But seeing how many Zir. Seeds it takes to kill her, I seriously doubt the effectiveness of Fireballs or Boomerangs 🙂

(Unless you have many crystals)

- Neil

------------------

I just discovered that Xichra is vulnerable to Smite Rings

whitedog

------------------
Let my inspiration flow, in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm... -Hunter/Garcia

(This message has been edited by Whitedog (edited 04-04-2000).)

Whitedog wrote:
I just discovered that Xichra is vulnerable to Smite Rings

If you want to use Smite Rings on Xichra you'd better have a LOT of them (max them out with the editor 🙂 )

After I beat the game, I went back with the patched app (with the unlimited health, magic, and unlimited item uses) and I just fired off the Smite Rings nonstop. Still took about 3 minutes to beat her. It takes a LOT of Smite Rings to finish her off. But, I'm sure if you've been pounding away at her for a while, the Smite Rings would surely help.

I also found that if she's not in the screen (visible) at the time you use the Smite Rings, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

------------------
-- Jeff

What I've done so far is save my smite rings until she gets into her fourth stage (you know, the one where she's moving really fast, after that bit of dialogue). Since she's flying around so quickly it's hard to hit her (not to mention how difficult it is to survive those dropping bombs), but just a few timely smite rings will do her in.

------------------

This has been posted before, but I think it bears repeating.

spoilers!

Jump left while holding left, and you can climb the left wall in Xichra's antechamber. You can jump up the wall (kinda running against it, as if you were climbing a treetrunk spell) to a ledge where nothing can hit you but the pretty fireballs (that your shield can block).

Much lower-stress that way, I found. 😃 Those falling battleship mine thingies were stressin' me out.

I just have one quick question about the invisible ledge on the left (well, two actually)

1. whenever I jump on it I'm facing to the left when I land on it, and no matter how lightly I tap my 'right' key, Ferazel falls off when he turns around. Do I have to spin around while I'm in the air for it to work?

...and...

1. Ben, did you mean for the ledge to be there?

------------------
-- Jeff

Merciless wrote:
**I just have one quick question about the invisible ledge on the left (well, two actually)

1. whenever I jump on it I'm facing to the left when I land on it, and no matter how lightly I tap my 'right' key, Ferazel falls off when he turns around. Do I have to spin around while I'm in the air for it to work?

...and...

1. Ben, did you mean for the ledge to be there?

to answer 1), I think you're only getting partway up the wall. The ledge is at the very top, and there's room to turn around up there. There are 3 "hand/footholds" to use to get all the way up. It took me a bit to figure this one out.

I can't speak for 2), of course

whitedog

------------------

So... has anyone ever gone back to the beginning of A Scent of Peril like the old geezer asked at the beginning?

------------------

<`{{{><

Jodeo wrote:
**So... has anyone ever gone back to the beginning of A Scent of Peril like the old geezer asked at the beginning?

Hmm, I can't remember if he wanted you to go back just before you went to fight Xichra or right after. If it's after, you can't. After you beat Xichra the game goes into the end-game sequence and takes you back to the main screen. You can't save the gave right after you've beater her, so there's no way of going back to see the guy after you have.

Maybe there is a way I don't know of.

------------------
-- Jeff

Jodeo wrote:
**So... has anyone ever gone back to the beginning of A Scent of Peril like the old geezer asked at the beginning?

I just went back to see him before I went to fight Xichra, and he told me to leave him in peace.

whitedog

------------------

Clever, finding that ledge. It wasn't intentional! I piled up stone barriers on the sides to prevent you from moving offscreen, and didn't realize you could land on them with enough effort. But it does work well to make a difficult battle a lot easier.

-Ben

------------------
Ben Spees / Coding Boffin / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Well, I found out several things here. I've been up on that ledge, firing away with seeds of both types, and I've been in and out with Escape Rings, and returned, etc. I had figured out that I'd better save the Smite Rings until the last part, but I was beginning to wonder when that would be! I haven't reached the dialogue box yet, so...

I just found out from another thread, where to get some more Escape Rings without going back through the fire levels. I have three res necklaces already, and know where to keep getting the potions and the seeds, so I figure I can EVENTUALLY kill Xichra.

But the other thing I was wondering (having played similar games before) was whether or not the game allows you to save at the end. Evidently it doesn't, and that disappoints me! How on earth can you PROVE to anyone that you actually BEAT the big boss?! That's not fair! 🙂

Linda

------------------

I don't really understand the concept of using the escape rings to get more seeds. On the many times that I have done this, I have to start from scratch when I re-enter the level, so what I am really doing to myself is starting over with fewer rez necklaces than my original encounter (since I usually use one or two before running out of seeds). Is this just me or is this what all of you are going through? :eek:

Nif

------------------

The problem I'm having is running out of fire seeds. Do I just need to be more accurate or is there some trick? I have a great strategy for the red stage and 5 rez necklaces so I'm having no trouble with dying off. I'm also assuming that 99 is the max number of fire seeds(or anything else) you can have. Also, how many smite rings should I go in there with? I have 5 but could buy more.