How to defeat the Fire Guardians??

Okay -- so I've finally managed to beat Parched earth, and now I'm trying to beat the Fire Guardians after the "Out Of The Frying Pan..." level. And it's frustrating!

I can tell that they're occasionally vunerable - when their eyes glow - but I just can't hit them enough times before getting killed. At the moment I'm throwing Ice Crystals at them (still waiting for someone to email back my saved game with the Ice Wall spell instead) but is there a better weapon to be hitting them with? I've never managed to aim fire seeds accurately enough to hit the head at the right time.

It just seemed logical to throw something cold at fire-breathing dragons.... 🙂

Andrew

------------------

Here is my strategy for defeating the Fire Guardians. I used fireballs as my weapon, though other spells might work.

You want to stay on the lower platforms as much as possible, jumping between the two as necessary. Try to always be on the platform nearer to the Guardian that just fired, but away from him as much as possible, ie. toward the center of the screen so you can see both of the Guardians’ faces. Turn to face the further Guardian, the one most likely to fire next. When he fires, jump up toward him and over the fireball -- you should have enough time to plan your trajectory, inching right or left first to make sure you can clear it. If you don’t land on the platform nearer to the Guardian that just fired, then get there ASAP. Again, inch away from the nearer Guardian and turn and face the further one.

If it looks like the nearer one is going to fire first, then jump to the other platform, turn, and be prepared to jump back over the fireball; or if he fires at your back while you’re jumping, the fireball will head upwards above you as you’re descending from your jump -- a duck may be required rather than another jump.

Occasionally a fireball will come in from above you or both Guardians will fire at the same time, and then you’ll have to scramble. But for the most part, with this strategy the fireballs will come in at angles low enough to jump over them and/or with enough time for you to figure out how to avoid them. It also positions you so you’re usually able get good shots at the Guardians when they’re vulnerable. When one of them shows the signs of being vulnerable, jump up -- and toward him if it’s the further one -- and shoot two or three fireballs at him.

Hopefully this will work for you, tho' it might take a bit of practice. I have actually defeated them while taking as few as two hits using this strategy -- no need to waste a res necklace or escape ring on this level. Good luck.

LT

I use the Ice Wall spell against these guys. It does way more damage than a normal fireball. However, it also takes more magic to cast. Anyways, it will let you kill 'em quicker. Use the strategy LT mentioned; it works awesome.

- Neil

------------------

I'm on the Fire Guardians after Frying Pan. I've never even seen the Ice spell. Where is it?

deniro wrote:
I'm on the Fire Guardians after Frying Pan. I've never even seen the Ice spell. Where is it?

It's in Iceconoclasm, the last level on the bottom right of the map.

(FWIW I did manage to beat the Fire Dragons eventually, nice to know I was on the right lines 🙂 In fact all I have left to do now is kill Xichra herself...)

------------------

Iceconoclasm? Never heard of it.

deniro wrote:
Iceconoclasm? Never heard of it.

It's the level right after Flash Freeze.

---Zelda

Ok, now what's Flash Freeze?

On the map, I see no paths or levels to the right of Unemployed in Greenland.

Can't get into Ends of the Earth until I have more xichrons (apparently).

Can't defeat the Fire Guardians.

Unemployed in Greenland has two exits. Find the other one and you'll get a new path toward the east.