Parched Earth: the five minute run...

Thank you for the info Ben, Zelda, Jonbob and Cathy! And yes, the room you're talking about Cathy is just a short backtracked distance from where the ice pick is bought. It had a smite ring and two ziridium seeds. There is a room towards the beginning of Flash Freeze that had coins. I might have seen one toward the middle, but I have little chance of making it that deep again with no save points left. So far I know of rez necklaces in Purple Haze, Labyrinth, Storm Valley...anyone know of others?

Zelda has good advice, we can start over at the update. At the very least, even if we do end up stuck at Parched Earth again, we'll get to play a little before getting stuck again. I'm at a point that I can do Labyrinth pretty well and I'm beginning to think it's one of my favorite levels, up there with Purple Haze and Unemployed in Greenland! Once I got over my fear of mazes, that is. Maybe I can get over being on a time limit (hard for those of us who tend to run late). I'm babbling now, so I'll stop. 😛

(This message has been edited by Amorisse (edited 02-17-2000).)

Ben...

I have always preferred to use the keyboard. I'm a very fast typist, and I usually have the best control that way, but for some reason, I simply cannot manage the just slightly longer jumps that I need, to get up to the top in Storm Valley and across the chasms in Flash Freeze. I simply cannot do it. I've tried for HOURS on both, and have ended up nothing but frustrated, not matter how hard I try (or how NOT hard I try, as a contrast).

But last night when I finally gave up and re-installed my gamepad (which I have never actually used in another game, though my husband and daughter have), I was VERY pleasanlty surprised to find that the stuff I have been thinking was way, way too hard, is actually fairly simple! Go figure.

Linda

------------------

There are also two rez necklaces in Fire In The Hole, although I can't get to one of them, and at least three (two that I can get to) in that one level that you have to pay 20 xichrons to get into. What's its name? The end of the world, or something like that... especially if you're supposed to have a life outside of Ferazel. 🙂 Dang springs... took me forever to get across. If anyone's having problems with that, BTW, I found a way over that almost always works. 🙂

------------------

Rilla wrote:
**There are also two rez necklaces in Fire In The Hole, although I can't get to one of them, and at least three (two that I can get to) in that one level that you have to pay 20 xichrons to get into. What's its name? The end of the world, or something like that... especially if you're supposed to have a life outside of Ferazel.:) Dang springs... took me forever to get across. If anyone's having problems with that, BTW, I found a way over that almost always works. 🙂

Me! Me! I'm having trouble with those springs! Actually, had trouble before I gave up completely. I've tried the advice already posted on the boards, though. '=} You have a special secret way? (drool)

AM

lisette@sweetness.com

There's been a lot of advice (and frustrated grumbles, from me too) about getting over the springs in Storm Valley, but I don't think I've seen any tips for getting over the springs in the Ends of the Earth... I bet you mean Storm Valley, but I'll tell you about it anyway. 🙂

First, run and jump pretty much as far as you can go to the spring that goes up and down. You can safely bounce up and down on this one for a while. There will be a set of springs to the right of you and has one going left and one going right. Jump onto the one facing right -- let go of ALL keys at this point -- and it will bounce you into the spring facing left on the other side of the chasm. You may go back and forth between these and few times, then you'll be bounced down to the left, then down to the right. At about the point where it appears it's all over, hold down the right and up keys, and Ferazel will cling to the wall just under the screen. You can then climb up and proceed.

There, I'm done. I hope that helped anyone who has died there countless needless times, like I did... 🙂

------------------

With the use of my gamepad, I did finally (easily) get up to the shelf in Storm Valley where all the LOVELY yellow bolts are that keep trying to bounce you forward as the wind drives you backward (OH, the frustration!!!). I've actually gotten over the first bank and through the pool, then over the second bank...only to fall through the gap and down to the ground level again!!!

I've never yet been able to get past the first bank of bouncers again (sigh). I'm not sure that the res necklace that's up there is worth it!

Back to the topic of this board, though, I HAVE FINALLY COMPLETED PARCHED EARTH!!! I am shouting in triumph, because I didn't think I'd EVER do it! To get through, I forsook the gamepad that I had been using for Flash Freeze and going back through Storm Valley, and went back to my trusty keyboard. Now, in The Dig, I've gone back and forth between the two--depending on if I need to jump higher and longer, or have better control over other moves. The combination seems to work very well.

Now if I can just quit dying deep underground in The Dig!!!

Linda

------------------

lindawing wrote:

Back to the topic of this board, though, I HAVE FINALLY COMPLETED PARCHED EARTH!!! I am shouting in triumph, because I didn't think I'd EVER do it!

Now if I can just quit dying deep underground in The Dig!!!

Linda

<Cheers!> Me too!!!! I was just about to toot my own horn and I read your post. Well, here's to well-deserved pats on the back, eh? You should've heard my son and me cheering. You'd have thought we just won a trip to Disneyland or something. Hehe! Now I'm going to try doing it without using up a much-needed rez necklace.

You don't want to hear this, but the Dig was kind of easy for us (not that I'm complaining--'cause I'm not!) 😛 Guess it's because for two weeks, when we did play, we just replayed old levels. By the way, I still can't get more than 90-something percent of the secrets and xichrons in Central Caverns, Nimbo won't give me anything until I find a way into the mountains (does that mean when I get the 20 xichrons needed for ends of the earth?) and Ferazel keeps getting offed trying to get back from where the ice crystal/ice wall spells were. Arrgh!

And I miss Charles M. Shulz!!! :frown:

(This message has been edited by Amorisse (edited 02-19-2000).)

Hurray! Hurrah! Oh happy day!
<Elizabeth does happy little Ferazel dance through her living room>
I just finished Parched Earth with time to spare!

Ok, my life is complete now. 🙂 But seriously, what a feeling of relief. I was really starting to worry there for a while. Let me extend congratulations to all who have completed this level (myself included :D), and to those who haven't, keep trying - it really is possible.

-Elizabeth

------------------
Check out my Ferazel's Wand Player's Guide at (url="http://"http://employees.3gi.com/~ereid/ferazel")http://employees.3gi.../~ereid/ferazel(/url)

Well, I'm sorry to be contrary and I'm glad others are happy about making it through, but I have to say I think Parched Earth is an unfortunate level in an otherwise fairly good game. It's not that it's hard -- I've finished plenty of games much harder than this one. It's that it's TEDIOUS -- miss one cannon and that's it. I spent much more time getting through Storm Valley but it never ceased to be fun. I have too many other games that are consistently fun and little time to play them as it is. For now, I don't see the desire of finishing Ferazel overcoming the chore of getting through this level.

A.J. wrote:
Well, I'm sorry to be contrary and I'm glad others are happy about making it through, but I have to say I think Parched Earth is an unfortunate level in an otherwise fairly good game. It's not that it's hard -- I've finished plenty of games much harder than this one. It's that it's TEDIOUS -- miss one cannon and that's it. I spent much more time getting through Storm Valley but it never ceased to be fun. I have too many other games that are consistently fun and little time to play them as it is. For now, I don't see the desire of finishing Ferazel overcoming the chore of getting through this level.

Maybe that's true, but we probably wouldn't be feeling this good about successfully completing it if it was any less hard/tedious. 😛

Keep trying, or go back and look for missed stuff in other levels...or look for the secrets in Parched Earth that you won't have time for when completing the timed run.

Have fun! 🙂

Amorisse wrote:
**Maybe that's true, but we probably wouldn't be feeling this good about successfully completing it if it was any less hard/tedious.

Maybe you feel so dang happy because you're FINISHED with it and you don't have to deal with it anymore! 🙂

I have to say...this is my least favorite level as well. I'm still not through it. I go look at it every once in awhile and get frustrated and then stay away from it for several more days. I KNOW I have to sit down and do it one sitting because I can't possible remember what I need to do to get through the different areas if I take so long between tries.

Part of what's holding me back is that I intend to start a new game when the update comes out. I don't want to have to deal with this level any longer than possible! I mean..if I do it..then I'll have to do it allll over again. Ish.

---Zelda

I admit that Parched Earth is one horrid level, however it is JUST tedious. I had real problems with Storm Valley! Between the rain pushing me backwards, the rain falling down, the elevator-pillows moving up and down, the bad-dudes jumping to and fro, and the lightening, I would get serious headaches and dizziness because I'd sit in front of it for half an hour at a time!

My recommendation with Parched Earth is to not try to make it through within the 5 minutes on the first couple tries. Go through slowly, look for secrets, figure out the timing on those cannons, shoot out that ceiling like someone else suggested (it's worth it!), etc. Now that I've completed it twice for time, it doesn't seem as bad. Those cannons really are frustrating though! :mad:

Nif

------------------
Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

I forgot about shooting out that ceiling! Darn! If I'd done that, I could have gotten through more quickly. Oh well, I made it, and you know what? I don't intend to go back for the stuff I didn't get...so there! 🙂

I actually got through The Dig fairly easily after just a couple of false starts. It wasn't nearly as hard as (for instance) The Labyrinth!!!

I thought I was going to go under in the Heat and the Fying Pan stages, but I finally made it through them through sheer perseverance and heightened adrenalin levels! (sheesh!)

And you know what? I don't intend to go back for the stuff I didn't get...so there AGAIN! (hee hee)

You should have heard me yelling and scream, "I CAN'T DO THIS!!!" during Out of the Frying Pan. Wow!

However, I am currently trying to finish off the Fire Guardians. I noticed that I have 19 red xichrons, and I know I left a few behind in some of the EAISER levels, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get the 20 I need, especially as I still need to do Iceconoclasm. I've been waiting on that one, for the upgrade, since I want the right spell when I'm supposed to get it. I really need that ice shelf thing, to get to a couple of places that I've seen in other stages.

------------------

Zelda wrote:
**Maybe you feel so dang happy because you're FINISHED with it and you don't have to deal with it anymore!:)

I have to say...this is my least favorite level as well. I'm still not through it. I go look at it every once in awhile and get frustrated and then stay away from it for several more days. I KNOW I have to sit down and do it one sitting because I can't possible remember what I need to do to get through the different areas if I take so long between tries.

Part of what's holding me back is that I intend to start a new game when the update comes out. I don't want to have to deal with this level any longer than possible! I mean..if I do it..then I'll have to do it allll over again. Ish.

---Zelda **

Never did I mean to imply I liked this level. But compared to "If You Can't Stand the Heat," it is definitely not my least-liked level. That blasted wall of fire has frustrated my son to full-blown tears -- twice. So now I don't let him play. I've tried "If you can't stand..." a few times and have since decided to stay out of the kitchen. Bring on Flash Freeze, Parched Earth...fine. Lately, if I play, it's in an attempt to get over those screwy screws to whatever goodies lie in wait at Storm Valley. And they'd better be GOOD goodies! <drool> :rolleyes:

~lisette@sweetness.com

Amorisse wrote:
**Lately, if I play, it's in an attempt to get over those screwy screws to whatever goodies lie in wait at Storm Valley. And they'd better be GOOD goodies! <drool> :rolleyes:

~lisette@sweetness.com

POSSIBLE SPOILER

The only thing I was able to get to up there was a "health pot", as we now call them in our household. And it registered as 100% of everything when I finished the level, so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any important xichrons or anything.

Nif

P.S. Sorry to hear about your son, but I know how he feels! I've been near tears many times myself! :eek:

------------------
Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

MissNif wrote:
**POSSIBLE SPOILER

The only thing I was able to get to up there was a "health pot", as we now call them in our household. And it registered as 100% of everything when I finished the level, so I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any important xichrons or anything.

There is a rez necklace at the end of the second set of springs. I think only one or two people have managed to reach it yet. And for whatever reason, it doesn't count as a secret.

---Zelda

I managed to make it to the rez necklace past the springs fairly easily. All you have to do is to run towards the spring and keep holding forwards, and you will get past that spring.

------------------

The farthest I have gotten as of yet is crossing the pit of quicksand that by shooting upwards and climbing over. So, give it to me straight: how close am I? I end up with about 2 minutes left at this point, average. I have put a lot of time into this level... too much. 🙂

------------------
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room!"
-Dr. Strangelove
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Will Oram

spamguy wrote:
**The farthest I have gotten as of yet is crossing the pit of quicksand that by shooting upwards and climbing over. So, give it to me straight: how close am I? I end up with about 2 minutes left at this point, average. I have put a lot of time into this level... too much. 🙂

Do a little more exploring and you'll find a short cut a little later on, too. But first, after that part, you have to go through a spikey maze with cannons...time it right and you skip over a few of them. Or is that after the part where you have get shot through the air by cannons that turn and timing is everything? Anyhow, timing is everything. For me, it was entirely too frustrating. I managed to do it twice but I don't know if I'd be able to do it again.

------------------
"Life is like a chocolate chip cookie."
-Snoopy

woofnpur wrote:
**Zelda,

I finally got through this level...here's what helped me.

The area I was having problems was about half way through...where every other cannon rotates...I just couldn't seem to get past it consistently. Then I read this post about firing yourself out of the the stationary cannons ONLY at the apex (top) of it's up/down motion. You press the left key and hold it. Then press the jump key at the TOP of the motion...do this with each one and you will make it across EVERY time and you will only use the non-rotating cannons. It shaved about 2min off my journey...enough time to make it to the end...with time to spare. Hope this helps.

If only it were true! Many deliberate tries firing myself from the apex, etc. simply did not work consistently, certainly not every time. Timing and distance must be very computer-specific.

-Grandalf

------------------