Level Editor

:rolleyes: Just Curious..... Are there any plans on making a level editor for Ferazel's Wand? I think it would be a cool way of continuing the Farazel saga for when we finish the levels provided on the cd. (shhh ya! Like that's going to happen to me any time soon.... heh. 🙂 )

------------------
I think a good present
for the president would
be a chocolate revolver.
And since he's so busy,
you'd probably have to
run up to him real quick
and hand it to him. -
Jack Handey

(This message has been edited by sisko (edited 02-16-2000).)

There is an editor in existence. However, the general concensus here is that no generic human shall ever see it. Recall the instability and the problems of the MASCOT Harry editor. I, being a non -generic human :), have seen the editor myself. It is exactly like the Harry editor.

And, as many have said: "Ben has better things to do than polish up MASCOT."

Long story short: won't happen.

------------------
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the War Room!"
-Dr. Strangelove
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Will Oram

ummm, oh... {?} :rolleyes:

(This message has been edited by sisko (edited 02-18-2000).)

No FerazelEdit for the general public. It's Ambrosia-only - too weird and buggy for release. See (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum7/HTML/000014.html")Please release the Ferazel editor(/url) for details.

------------------
" The Zaphod Beeblebrox?"

"No, just a Zaphod Beeblebrox; didn't you hear I come in six-packs?"
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You know what? If Ambrosia can create a great game like Ferazel's Wand then they can create a level editor that works with Ferazel's Wand, is "generic human"-whatever that means :rolleyes: , and is marketable enough to sell to the "generic human" population. The questions isn't whether they can, but whether they want to. Either way it's just a suggestion, and I resent being called a "generic human" by someone who gives "generic responses"{spamguy not ColdFusion).

Thank you.

I agree with one of your points, Sisko -- it's a question of "want" for Ambrosia, and really there are better things they could be working on, I'm sure.

Plus, consider all the things more than a level editor that make each level so fun, and that aren't mass-marketable -- i.e., the splash screens, the MUSIC, the new enemies and their sprites, the special effects unique to some levels (wind, slipperiness, lightning flashes), the bosses... some of that could be put in level editors, but most of it really just couldn't. And ask yourself, how much fun would the levels most people would make be, honestly? (In StarCraft, that's a different argument than in side scrollers, I'd say).

By "generic human," I'm sure he just meant average consumer, i.e. someone who can't write letters to mum in assembly language. I don't imagine that mediocrity, stupidity, and/or immaturity had to do with what he meant, although instantly taking offense to it in what has been a remarkably even-keeled web board might not be the best idea? 😉

Back to pulling out my remaining hair trying to get the boulder on the button in "If you can't stand the heat..." ...

------------------

Thank you Seth07 for your points to my inquiry about a level editor. My response is perhaps a bit simplistic but I would restate my earlier point of "I think it would be a cool way of continuing the Farazel saga....." As a consumer it really isn't my place or interest to consider whether or not is would be "hard" or "difficult" to make such an editor or even consider whether or not elements such as "weather" would be included in a level that I created and I wouldn't be willing to give it any more thought. As a consumer, I believe simply having a desire for such a product to exist, and willing to pay for such a product is simply enough. The fact that there is any debate in a level editor at all is curious and strange to me since it is simply an opinion and desire of one person. Whether or not Ambrosia decides to make this product is not something I'm personally willing to lose any sleep over.

And "generic human" is offensive to me since it implies something un-unique or lacking in some ability. Perhaps if someone wanted to say "someone who is not a programmer" could simply say, oh, "non-programmer(s)"

Thank you.

Unfortunately, all the pleading and complaining in the world won't get Ben Spees to release the editor. Look what happened with the Harry editor: buggy, weird, complex, etc. No one made ever levels for Harry. Ferazel is just too complex.

------------------
" The Zaphod Beeblebrox?"

"No, just a Zaphod Beeblebrox; didn't you hear I come in six-packs?"
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

uhggg! Whatever, I give up...

Here's an idea: If Ben won't make an editor, maybe he will make a sequel? I would personally like that more than an editor. 🙂

------------------

A sequel might be fun, but it wouldn't be likely unless the game grew into an EV-level hit. You never know though. 🙂 For now, I'm working on other projects.

-Ben

------------------