Ah Hah!

I finally decided that I wasn't going to be able to do all the long jumps in Flash Freeze, if I didn't dig out my Gravis Mac GamePad. I had disconnected it about a year ago, when I was running out of space on my hard drive and was un-installing unnecessary items. Now I have a 10 GB USB hard drive that enables me to put all sorts of stuff BACK in the computer, but I just hadn't re-installed the gamepad.

So I downloaded the newest driver from Gravis' website and took a chance that it would work with OS 9.0, and it does, and it it REALLY works well with Ferazel!

Yaaayyyy! It's VERY late (early "tomorrow," actually), and I have to get some sleep SOMETIME tonight, but I did a test run at the place where I WAS stuck in Flash Freeze, and now I'm going to be able to breeze through it. I just have to get my coordination down to a science, as I already had with my keyboard, but that's just a matter of habit. I'll probably go back and play a few of the lower levels just to GET that habit (or would that be "hangnabit"--speaking of which, THAT level might easier now--if I could replay it!).

Looking forward to playing late TOMORROW night (after Choir practice, of course).

Linda

------------------

I have a USB gamepad, OS 8.6, and the sprockets (latest version) haven't allowed me to assign anything other than Use Item, Prev Item, and Next Item, so I went back to the keyboard. Has anyone else made a USB gamepad work? Thanks

------------------

Looks like it's time for another unsolicited advertisement.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I recommend (url="http://"http://www.usboverdrive.com/")USB Overdrive(/url) as a workaround to any USB controller problems. It will let you map your controller buttons to keys seamlessly, on a game-by-game basis, and with an elegant interface. Try it.

Other than that, Whitedog, what type of controller do you have? You may need a vendor-specific InputSprocket for all your controller's functions to be available.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

JonBob wrote:
**Looks like it's time for another unsolicited advertisement.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I recommend USB Overdrive as a workaround to any USB controller problems. It will let you map your controller buttons to keys seamlessly, on a game-by-game basis, and with an elegant interface. Try it.

Other than that, Whitedog, what type of controller do you have? You may need a vendor-specific InputSprocket for all your controller's functions to be available.

Thanks for the tip; I've got a Gravis GamePad Pro USB; and I'm using their latest input sprocket; but I still have the problem I mentioned above. I just downloaded USB Overdrive, and I'll see how that works. Once again, thanks mucho; I think this will come in quite handy 😄

-Whitedog

------------------

My Gravis Gamepad is one of the FEW things that I have that ISN'T USB. I have several mice attached to my keyboard (in this family, we all have definite preferences as to how mice should work), and just in-lined the gamepad with those. No problems...it works fine.

Of course, I can do this, because I have an older machine (actually, a Motorola StarMax now running OS 9) that I've upgraded to G3, 335 MHz, and USB status. So I have ADB, serial, SCSI, AND USB stuff, strung all over the place.

Linda

(This message has been edited by lindawing (edited 02-17-2000).)

Not that this is related to Ferazel or anything, but speaking of USB, has anyone had any luck with USB hubs? I'm getting kind of tired of having to unplug my mouse every time I want to print something!

------------------

Whitedog,
I'm using a Gravis GamePad Pro USB with no problems. While Overdrive should solve your problem, it's a little weird that you should need to use it. My working setup is using the following possibly-relevant system extensions: "InputSprocket Gravis 1.4.1", "InputSprocket Gravis USB 1.1", "InputSprocket USB 1.4.1". If you're missing any of these I can mail them to you.

Rilla,
As far as I know, all USB hubs are created equal. I'm using a Belkin 4-port hub. You should probably get a hub that is self-powered (plugs into the wall) just to be safe, but other than that go with the cheapest. Installation is seamless; you don't even need to shut down.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

(QUOTE)JonBob wrote:
(B)Whitedog,
I'm using a Gravis GamePad Pro USB with no problems. While Overdrive should solve your problem, it's a little weird that you should need to use it. My working setup is using the following possibly-relevant system extensions: "InputSprocket Gravis 1.4.1", "InputSprocket Gravis USB 1.1", "InputSprocket USB 1.4.1". If you're missing any of these I can mail them to you.

JonBob,

Thanks...I do have all of those extensions, and I just tried something that made a difference; (after removing USB Overdrive), I went to the input sprocket configuration page in Ferazel, and changed "Player" from "One" to "Any", and then all the options showed up properly. Very strange. Thanks for your help.

Whitedog

------------------

Regarding USB hubs...

I have one at home and one at work (two different brands). They work fine. Occasionally, I have to unplug something, wait about 3 seconds, and plug it back in. But with OS 9, that's very rare.

Linda

------------------

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I did buy the cheapest powered hub available (not that it was that cheap, either) but if I plug everything into it that I need to, it crashes my computer. And besides that it doesn't appear to be giving enough power to all my devices... at least, that's what THEY tell me. All the devices worked fine when plugged into the keyboard my computer came with (before I poured water over it and had to get a new keyboard with no USB ports) so one would think they didn't need very much power at all... maybe the hub is defective.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rilla (edited 02-19-2000).)

Rilla--

I just sent you a separate e-mail, but I forgot to mention that you should try getting an updated driver for your hub, if you know what brand it is, and if they have a website. Failing that, you can check out the latest drivers at Apple.com, if you're not running OS 9.

Linda

------------------