problems running EV on my current mac...

So, i wanted to play some old plug-ins, and EV runs like crap on my mac. Im running classic underneath OSX on my G5 imac. I cranked up the memory allocated to EV, and set the monitor to a lower res. and 256 colors. Everything seems fine until i play, and its running at like, 2 fps or something... really jerky and not playable.

Yup, that's about the size of it. Running under SheepShaver is much better but still not perfect. The only real way to run the original games is to find an old computer and boot to OS 9.

Running EV under Basilisk2 on Windows is completely flawless for me and indistinguishable from playing it on an old Mac - it's kinda absurd if there isn't something for Mac OS X that does the same, heh.

@guy, on Apr 8 2008, 10:10 PM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...:

Yup, that's about the size of it. Running under SheepShaver is much better but still not perfect. The only real way to run the original games is to find an old computer and boot to OS 9.

What about installing OS 9 on a second hard drive, then booting from that disk?

@callide, on Apr 9 2008, 06:26 PM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...:

Damn, thats a good idea! Wait, I mean, uh, i already knew that, you just reminded me.... :unsure: uh yeah!

(Now to see if i threw away those OS 9 disks.... most likely did....)

This post has been edited by turismokid : 09 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

@mazca, on Apr 10 2008, 12:44 AM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...:

Running EV under Basilisk2 on Windows is completely flawless for me and indistinguishable from playing it on an old Mac - it's kinda absurd if there isn't something for Mac OS X that does the same, heh.

Oh that's right, the emulators run better on Windows than on Mac. Rather annoying to do that though.

@callide, on Apr 10 2008, 06:26 AM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...:

He's on a G5 ;). If he could boot to OS 9 then his existing classic installation would work, without needing to install a new copy on a different drive.

@guy, on Apr 9 2008, 04:05 PM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...:

He's on a G5 ;). If he could boot to OS 9 then his existing classic installation would work, without needing to install a new copy on a different drive.

Okay. 🙂 So, would it make a difference if he installed a later version of 9? Or is it more of an EV issue?

This post has been edited by Callide : 10 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

I think it's an issue with Classic. It used to work okay on Jaguar (maybe Panther too, I forget) but after that it just became unplayable. It doesn't make a difference what version of OS 9 but chances are he's running the latest anyway.

Actually, the Basilisk II and SheepShaver emulators run very well on Mac OS X. The SheepShaver port for MacOS probably runs better than the Windows one, which is described as "experimental" by the author. The original poster should check one of those out!

@mazca, on Apr 9 2008, 12:44 PM, said in problems running EV on my current mac...: