Get paid to buy space bombs and torpedoes?

And Kestrels for 10 Credits?

Hello- first topic here.

Alright- I remember playing EV years ago on an old Power PC, and I was so happy to buy a Kestrel at Palshife and gettin paid to buy unlimited space bombs and torpedoes, and totally decking out my ship.

One question: why did they change that?
Just kidding... Why did they have that... It was an unregistered version. Maybe so the player could see all the cool things?

This post has been edited by Percinator : 01 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

You very likely had a cheat plug. You don't do that in the stock universe.

The Apple Cřre, on Mar 1 2006, 07:32 PM, said:

You very likely had a cheat plug. You don't do that in the stock universe.
View Post

Noooo- I always remember the pluggin folder being empty. The computer was disconnected from the internet for a long time. For a period of a time (2000-2003) my family had aslams head on desk Windows. The only thing I did have was InstaShip. The computer is boxed away now, though.

Oh gosh... I spelled Kestrel "Kestreal." Got to fix that.

Percinator, on Mar 1 2006, 07:41 PM, said:

The only thing I did have was InstaShip.View Post

I'm unfamiliar with this plug. Are you sure this wasn't the cause of it?

InstaShip has been around for damn near forever. It allowed you to buy the Alien Ships, Execuitive Transports, Hawk Fighters, and Bulk Freighters. Jeez... I havn't heard of that plugin in years. I'm fairly sure that it also reduced the cost of most of the ships and outfits in the EV universe to virtually nothing. Essentially the first comprehensive cheat plugin.

-AJ

InstaShip wasn't a Pug, but rather a third part program that altered the shîp resource value on a given pilot to match that of the desired ship. The end result was that you got a new ship, but kept all of the outfits on your previous craft. I don't see how this would affect prices.

Yes, InstaShip was a whole other program- if you wanted a different ship, you could use it. When you use it you carry over all outfits, but not specifications. I am sure it didn't alter the price of outfits or anything. The only altered prices were the Kestrel (10 credits), torpedoes (-????credits), and space bombs (-??????(or so) credits).

Another thing to go along: when I would get paid to buy space bombs, I would totally deck out my ship. Then because you have to pay to sell the space bombs, I would go into a negative number. In turn, it would give me the highest amount of credits possible.

The game engine probably got confused (or whatever technical word for that is), and defaulted into the highest amount of money when it failed at going negative.

As for the prices, I think this could have somehow been caused by InstaShip. If I recall correctly, those EV editors were not very stable.

Ahh. My bad. My memory gets worse the older I get. I was thinking of something else I suppose.

-AJ

AJ, on Mar 2 2006, 01:59 PM, said:

Ahh. My bad. My memory gets worse the older I get. I was thinking of something else I suppose.

-AJ
View Post

I do recall the plugin you were talking about though. I forget the name, but I remember how excited the 9-year-old me was after discovering it. 😄

Destroyer E, on Mar 2 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

The game engine probably got confused (or whatever technical word for that is), and defaulted into the highest amount of money when it failed at going negative.

As for the prices, I think this could have somehow been caused by InstaShip. If I recall correctly, those EV editors were not very stable.
View Post

Yes to the first part, no to the second.

InstaShip alteres a Pilot File , which has no bearing on the pricing of ships and outfits. It might be conceavable that it would choke and alter the cash value of the pilot by mistake, but not the pricing of Kestrels, Torpedoes, and Space Bombs--those values are stored on completely seperate files.

That's right, InstaShip. I once had a fleet of 6 Confed Cruisers, made WAY eaisier with insta-ship. I also had EVWarp. Anyone heard of that one?

Nope. What's it do?

~vIsitor~, on Mar 2 2006, 05:34 PM, said:

InstaShip alteres a Pilot File , which has no bearing on the pricing of ships and outfits. It might be conceavable that it would choke and alter the cash value of the pilot by mistake, but not the pricing of Kestrels, Torpedoes, and Space Bombs--those values are stored on completely seperate files.
View Post

Good point. I was thinking more on the lines of EVEdit, which tended to screw up a couple of my Data files (which I backed up).

I also haven't used EVWarp.

I never owned EVEdit on my Power PC. Maybe it was just an early version that let you "test" te game out. I really have no idea.
EVWarp? Never heard of it.

EVWarp was very similar to InstaShip (in fact, I think it was made by the same person). Basically it just edited the system your pilot was in. So if you were in Sirgil and needed to be in Satori and couldn't be bothered to jump (or the mission didn't give you enough time) you could just load the file in EVWarp and immediately be there.

EV-Edit made a nasty mess of what I was working on. A crash would leave the plugin empty. Of course, because it was an LC040 and system 7.5...

EV-Edit is ok if you want to tweek things, but just forget the whole thing if you need to cross-reference files or mess around with systems.

Yeah - if I just wanted to open up a plugin to tweak mission availability, or check something, then EV-Edit is a quick and easy way to do it. But that evil program has eaten more than its share of plugins.

And don't I know it. Hard to believe the guy charges people to register that sub-par editor.