starting out

I downloaded this game from Game Zone? I think. Is it free or is it $30? Is the copy I got, which was like 90MB or so, the actual game, because it doesn't look like the screenshots. Please help me get started on the right path! I don't have a problem w/ the $30, I'm just confused.

Um. I think you're getting Escape Velocity and one of her sequels confused together; the newest (and purdiest) is Escape Velocity: Nova, which does weigh in at about 90MB. The game this forum is for is Escape Velocity Classic, which weighs in at about 4MB. You might want to check the Escape Velocity Nova forum.

You can actually try the game out for free, but it's limiting. Nova does cost $30, but with that you also get EV and EVO (I think) as plugins, for free!

@anaxagoras, on Feb 6 2007, 09:38 AM, said in starting out:

(and purdiest)

Nice Vocabulary. 🆒

@callide, on Feb 7 2007, 02:57 AM, said in starting out:

You can actually try the game out for free, but it's limiting. Nova does cost $30, but with that you also get EV and EVO (I think) as plugins, for free!

I think you're right about EVC and EVO being plug ins. I think that's the package my brother and I got when we downloaded EVN.

Yeah, EVC and EVO are available as free TCs to play under the Nova game engine. You'll want to go get Guy's EVO TC though; the official one has lots of bugs.

Are they just as good on PC as they are for Mac though?

Um, I don't see why not. The gameplay should be identical since the resources are the same between the PC and Mac ports. However, neither port would be exactly the same as the original games (which are Mac-only), if that's what you meant.

@nil-kimas, on Feb 11 2007, 10:02 PM, said in starting out:

Um, I don't see why not. The gameplay should be identical since the resources are the same between the PC and Mac ports. However, neither port would be exactly the same as the original games (which are Mac-only), if that's what you meant.

Ya. I meant that I like the original Mac versions better than the PC versions.

Edit: Capitalization.

This post has been edited by duke_juker : 17 February 2007 - 05:10 PM

@duke_juker, on Feb 8 2007, 02:32 AM, said in starting out:

Nice Vocabulary. 🆒
I think you're right about EVC and EVO being plug ins. I think that's the package my brother and I got when we downloaded EVN.

Ya those would be the ones. Buying the game gives you access to all plugins...the best of which are ports of the older EV games. I do recommend buying the game...

EVO and EVC do not come in a "package" per se however.

They're actually data file replacements, rather that plug-ins. You don't put them in the plug-ins directory. You would back up your Nova Files folder, empty it out, and put the data files from the EV classic or EV Override ports there, and then start the game.