Paying for your shareware

This post has been edited by WickTownEV : 02 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

Paying the shareware will not delete your pilots, or have any negative effects whatsoever (unless you like Captain Hector killing you?).

You'll be fine. 🙂

However, if you want to be cautious, feel free to create backups of everything too. 😉

Does Hector kill you? I thought he just annoys you. I registered shortly after getting EV, so I wouldn't remember.

He kills you after 30 days.

If you own a registered copy of Nova, you can DL EV for free and play it as an addon.

@buzzzzy, on Nov 27 2006, 05:08 PM, said in Paying for your shareware:

Does Hector kill you? I thought he just annoys you. I registered shortly after getting EV, so I wouldn't remember.

In EV, he annoys you. In EVO, he steals your cash. In Nova, he kills you.

At least, I'm pretty sure it works that way. Oh, that bastard of a bird...

Actually, (s)he kills you in all three games if you don't pay up. It's just in Nova it happens a lot quicker.

Ah, Hector will annoy you for 30 days and then after the 30 days, he kills you when he sees you.

i never had hector kill me in the first ev (version 1.0.5 has been out for awhile, and it's the one I used). did you delete the registration window and countdown stuff in res edit? that was the only way hector could kill, at least as far as I remember.

of course, if you're talking about the nova add-on, yes, hector will shoot your ass into the ground. but that's because you need to buy nova. and plugs don't work without buying nova...

This post has been edited by antihero : 27 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hector did indeed attack, even in the original Escape Velocity , though many people have never seen it happen; it may have been related to the number of hours one played unregistered.

@david-arthur, on Nov 29 2006, 04:48 PM, said in Paying for your shareware:

Hector did indeed attack, even in the original Escape Velocity , though many people have never seen it happen; it may have been related to the number of hours one played unregistered.

I had two shareware versions of EV. One didn't have a countdown timer while the other had one that counted from days to hours to seconds. I imagine the second one was a newer shareware version.

I always had a suspicion that they broke Hector's attacking code in 1.0.5... when I originally played EV unregistered, it was 1.0.4 and he definitely did get quite arsey if you left it unregistered much over 30 days, and I registered it fairly promptly. But when I installed 1.0.5 on a new computer a year or two later, I couldn't be bothered to find my registration code. As EV was not actually crippleware, I just played it unregistered. I got up to 90+ days played and hundreds of hours and he never once attacked.

I have a confession to make. I've had EV unregistered on my computer for four years. Hector's never attacked me.

This post has been edited by WickTownEV : 02 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hmm, didn't I read this somewhere before?

This post has been edited by WickTownEV : 02 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

@warlord-mike, on Nov 27 2006, 11:34 PM, said in Paying for your shareware:

Actually, (s)he kills you in all three games if you don't pay up. It's just in Nova it happens a lot quicker.

Except you could plugin-mod the first two games to... :unsure:

Mmyeah.