EV Homages

humm, this sounds like a topic I started a few months ago except it was on EV:N. Oh well, the 1st one kick butt so a reference could be Zues and Hera to their representation of the head Greek Gods and the Kestrel for the bird in real life called a Kestrel.

Heh, going by that there's always the Maskirovka IPV-1 Corvette. I remember laughing my head off my first time seeing it. Thinking to myself "They named a space ship after a car!! Hahahahaha!!!"

Leave it to five years before I find out that the word Corvette actually refers to a surface ship with the same role as EV's Corvette. How to make an Admiral feel stupid, huh?

Then there's the Nexus System, with Nexus Outpost, which may be a reference to Star Trek Generations. There was this ribbon thing that those caught inside it called the Nexus. However, Nexus is a word outside of that, and nothing interesting ever happens there beyond the fact that the Rebellion was losing ships there for months due to that rogue Alien Cruiser.

Oh, and the Deneb System was also mentioned in Star Trek TNG. Although they went to Deneb... I think it was Six, whereas EV's inhabited planet in the Deneb System is Deneb 3.

I suppose it's safe to say that EV in and of itself is a homage to our reality as we know it. Fiction or otherwise. Every single thing in EV can be traced back to something. The ultimate homage has been paid. Let us rest with that assurance.

...Of course, then there's Override.

@u-e--admiral, on Aug 29 2006, 10:15 PM, said in EV Homages:

And then we have the Rebellion Alien Missions, in which the player follows a crypic note to Docking Bay 94. A Rebel Officer is standing in the shadows, waiting for the player, and says "Thank Zarquon, I was beginning to think you wouldn't come..."

...and there are one or two references to people drinking jynnan tonnyxes.

At least one Bungie employee (Jason Jones) has a përs in EV. There's also a reference to the colony ship Marathon on Tau Ceti IV.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 02 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

@buzzzzy, on Jul 10 2006, 09:08 PM, said in EV Homages:

Endor.

There's also references inside the planets, such as Beeblebrox being a wild world of partying, and some others I don't remember right now.

Additionally, there are many Mac jokes in there. Seemingly everything is a reference or joke.

(Sorry I'm a little late, I should check the EVC forum a little more often)

The funniest thing with Endor is, since it's a forest moon, when you check the data files you see it's the planet you're supposed to be able to get wood for cheap (it is expensive on Tabletop), but it has no commodity exchange...

Now I'm reading them, I realise there are a lot of HHGttG references. I should replay EVC to check for them.

@u-e--admiral, on Aug 29 2006, 08:15 PM, said in EV Homages:

Aerostar Industries and Allied Shipyards, while not a reference to fiction, they are still known outside EV for remarkably similar roles.

I think the makers of the armaplast is a company called "DoPunt," an obvious reference to DuPont.

DoPunt's #3019 Armaplast is a hybrid material, combining the lightness of Sup-R-Kevlar or TuffSheath with reasonably good strength.

On the subject of Armor Plating, there's always Tritanium, a Star Trek Metal.

@cippy, on Oct 3 2006, 03:01 PM, said in EV Classic question about Rebel storyline:

Those missions aren't essential to the main Rebel string. They help you get more missions from the Rebels, but that's it.

Did you get the mission that begins with someone dropping a napkin in the bar saying "Loading Dock 94" or something along those lines? I'm pretty sure that begins the major Rebel mission string.

In Star Wars: A New Hope, where was the Millennium Falcon parked in Mos Eisley?

Speaking of Star Wars, I thought there was another SW planet homage, aside from Endor, of course...

@buzzzzy, on Oct 10 2006, 02:12 PM, said in EV Homages:

Speaking of Star Wars, I thought there was another SW planet homage, aside from Endor, of course...

Well, there are references to SW on two backwater planets in EV N...

there's a homage to the standard fighter aircraft Ejection Seat, made by Martin-Baker. The Escape Pod in EVC is made by a company called Markin-Bater

Liberty Station in the NGC-1776 system.