BIG bug (or something)

EV quiting on me!

I have been haveing a problem for some time with Escape Velocity quiting on me. I no idea why this would be happening, so any advice would be welcome. I am using a old powerpc running OS 9.1.

Can you be a little more specific? (Tell us when it quits on you, what you are doing, any error messages that pop up, and such.) It's difficult to identify the problem with only that information.

And welcome to the boards!

This post has been edited by Destroyer E : 08 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back. There are two different errors that have been happening. Sometimes EV just quits on me, and it doesnt seem to have anything to do with what I am doing. The error message says that an error type 2 had happened. Other times I quit the game on purpose and it tells me that EV has unexpectedly quit and an error type 1 has happened. Thats all my problem. Oh by the way 1 and 2 make 3, but that is not very important (or useful).

Are you using a jillion plugins at once? You might need to expand your memory.

I remember that EV always used to "unexpectedly quit" right after I had quit it. I mean it quit, and then produced an error message. I still have no idea why. Is this a related problem?

Both errors have to do with RAM. Try increasing EV's memory allotment.

ID=01 Bus Error
This means the computer tried to access memory that doesn't exist. You can get this error on almost any Macintosh. If one of these computers tried to access one or more bytes beyond the total number of bytes in RAM, you see a bus error. You should never see this error on a Macintosh Plus or SE, because address references that are out of bounds "roll over". This means if one of these computers tries to access one byte beyond the total bytes in RAM, it actually accesses the first byte in memory. If you see this error on a Macintosh Plus or SE, it's reporting the wrong error or having hardware problems.

ID=02 Address Error
The Motorola 68000 microprocessor can access memory in increments of one byte (8 bits), one word (16 bits), or one long word (32 bits). The microprocessor can access a byte of information at an odd or even memory address. But it must access a word or long word at an even memory address. So, when the microprocessor attempts to read or write a word or long word at an odd address, you see this error. Since that's a 50/50 proposition when running random code, this one shows up quite often.

From Error Codes 1-30. More found at http://www.gla.ac.uk...1h/Error_Codes/)

OS 9.1 and 9.2 have that problem on nearly all classic games. Choose Quit, it thinks you force quitted it. Run it for a while, click something, bam. It quits. I think that this has something to do with the fact that OS 9.1 and 9.2 are made for OS X classic, not for running normal stuff.

Increasing the memory will probably help the most.

I thought I read somewhere that EVC didn't run in Classic, which is why I keep it on my 7600.

Sollertia, on Mar 11 2006, 10:54 PM, said:

I thought I read somewhere that EVC didn't run in Classic, which is why I keep it on my 7600.
View Post

It runs fine in Classic in OS 10.2, but from what I've heard it is very slow and unpleasant in 10.3+.

True, I can testify for EVC being hell on Panther's Classic. EVO used to run (more or less) smoothly on my 10.3, but I've added a couple of gigs of applications since then, and now it's as choppy as EVC. I'm now on Tiger, and the EV games (except EVN) aren't on my computer right now, so I can't test them again. It'd be great to see if Classic on Tiger runs more smoothly, though — anyone here have the requirements and the games to see?

According to the EV page here, EVC is not OSX compatible. I couldn't get EVC to even launch when I installed it on my G4 (which runs 9.2 and 10.4). That's why I run it on OS8 on my Power Mac.

I meant when you start up in OS 9.2/9.1. Or when you have OS 9.1 and 9.2, but not OS X (you know, upgrading OS 9).

For a whille, running EV in OS X was great. No crashes and perfect speed. Then I upgraded to Panther, and it became all choppy. Then I upgraded to Tiger, and it didn't run at all. EVO was the one that was choppy then.

Also, is classic even in the new intel Macs? I don't have one yet.

Buzzzzy, on Mar 13 2006, 11:57 AM, said:

Also, is classic even in the new intel Macs? I don't have one yet.
View Post

Nope.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try to increase memory and see if it helps.

Do you think Classic might run under Rosetta?

Buzzzzy, on Mar 19 2006, 12:43 AM, said:

Do you think Classic might run under Rosetta?
View Post

It does not. It never will. Classic has been dropped. 😞

@hamster, on Mar 19 2006, 03:01 AM, said in BIG bug (or something):

It does not. It never will. Classic has been dropped. 😞

There is some hope. Be sure to check out SheepShaver.