Forthcoming Plug-in

From the creator of the Empire series

Technically this plug-in will be my first for NOVA and the reason I am posting this announcement here is that most of the fans of my work are likely on this list and may be interested in knowing my most recent scenario. Anyhow without further delay here is the storyline...

HEART AND SOL

"An eye for an eye leaves us all blind."

How the mighty have fallen.

Once the leader of an unprecedented empire that spanned the known galaxy, Earth is now little more than a minor backwater struggling to feed and provision itself. It was not always this way. For generations the human race moved far beyond the confines of Sol and spread throughout nearby systems, colonising scores of new worlds and achieving a prosperity never thought possible. First contact with sentient alien life was made with the Brox, a peaceful humanoid species whose spacefaring technology was behind those of Earth. The Brox homeworld was rich with natural resources and heavy industry, prizes eyed by shadowy elements within Earth's venerable but weakened government of the time. When the invasion came the Brox were quickly conquered, their planet's wealth plundered and peoples enslaved. Earth's new ruling council established a formidable spaceborne military presence and over the course of time a trio of other sentients -- the Hunn'sta, Calan and Sauridians -- were discovered and annexed, with their peoples and colonies forced to work for the benefit of what would come to be known as the TERRAN STAR EMPIRE.

The tyranny was not to last. Tiring of Earth's increasing cruelty, a small group of Brox militants undertook a series of violent guerilla campaigns that would shake the Empire to its very foundations. Having become arrogant in the ease of past victories, the Terrans were caught by surprise at the success of the unexpected rebellion and were soon forced to retreat from the Brox homeworld to regroup. The Brox had cleverly turned the Empire's technology upon itself by using secretly reverse engineered Earth heavy weapons. As word of the Brox victory spread, the other enslaved races were inspired to revolt though they quickly realised that to confront the incredible power of the Colonial Navy would require an alliance; one that would be known to history as THE WEAVE.

By pooling their strengths and experience, these rebels ultimately succeeded in driving the Terrans from their worlds. Unfortunately, during the ensuing celebration one painful reality was overlooked: empires do not die so willingly. Loathe to surrender its annexed systems, resource extraction centers and forced labour colonies, the Empire returned with a vengeance armed with terrifying new warships and a fanatical resolve. The Weave suffered terrible casualties, simply unable to match the Navy's phenomenal mass production prowess. It was not long until distant Calanar fell, its antiquated Protector class destroyers, even when augmented by more substantial Weave fleet craft, unable to halt the endless stream of Navy planetary assault carriers and heavy cruisers. Next to fall were the Hunn'sta, their outmoded gunships simply no match for the Navy's frigates and missile cruisers. Last to be taken were the Sauridians, but not without a fight. Indeed, the Empire attributed the bulk of its worse combat losses to the notorious Farazon Campaigns, where the Sauridians' feared Battle Dragons and laser ships made their last, albeit unsuccessful, attempt to defend their homeworld. The very few Weave fleets that somehow managed to survive the slaughter were forced into retreat to the northern quadrant, where they fought their last desperate stand against Sol's far reaching fire.

The rebellion had ended in failure and as The Weave awaited certain defeat a miracle was bought upon them in the discovery of a new race, the technologically advanced Saa'rel Union. The alliance was ultimately able to convince the generally pacifist Saa'rellians to join in the fight for freedom against the Empire's unstoppable war machine. Faced with the threat of this new allegiance and encouraged by the discovery of an ancient and mysterious alien artifact, Central Command issued an unexpected and astounding edict. Its numerous dark agents were ordered to secretly attempt to establish contact with a mythical, ancient race of unimaginable power with the intention of forming a strategic alliance, thus countering any possible future alliance insurgency, even enlisting a bizarre cult in this seemingly strange quest. Little did the Empire realize what it would soon unleash upon the galaxy: the Grach'ta Dominion, a deeply xenophobic insectoid race that had once dreamt of total galactic domination. In the distant past the Grach'ta had used enslaved sentients to fight their battles for them, emerging only to capture and colonize. This tactic worked until, several hundred years ago, they were defeated by an unknown power who shut them off from the rest of the galaxy by destroying all Grach'ta hyperspace portals. Suddenly freed by the actions of the Empire, the Grach'ta picked up where they left off and nearly destroyed much of the known galaxy before finally falling to defeat before an unprecendented if temporary allegiance between the human race and those it had once subjigated.

The Dominion was exterminated, its warfleets and homeworld sentinel consigned to extinction. The Empire was finished, its leadership either dead or captured though demands for war reparations left Earth barely able to feed its population, leaving both its economy and spirit in ruins. The formal cessation of hostilities with Earth saw the end of The Weave itself as its founders, the Brox, wished to return to their former pacifist way of life. While the alliance still exists, its remnants kept alive by the ever loyal Calan, it is now little more than a glorified peacekeeping force as its members seek to reestablish themselves. In the ensuing power vacuum many new governments have risen to prominence, including the True Earth Alliance, an association of southern quadrant worlds angered at what they perceived as their abandonment by Earth during the Dominion War; the mysterious corporate giant the Cassius Unity which has purchased several former neutral colonies; the bizarre Redeemers, remnants of the old cult that worshipped the Grach'ta as divine beings; and a litany of pirate gangs and other subfactions. Almost thirty years after the Grach'ta fell to defeat the universe remains a very dangerous and unstable place as new powers rise, old influences ebb and dark agendas operate in the shadows.

This is the galaxy you find yourself in though corporate intruigue, murderous brigands and political machinations are the least of your concerns. During the glorious rule of the Empire you still miss and admire, your parents' roles as prominent loyalists have meant that you and numerous others have essentially been blacklisted from any meaningful work as old prejudices die hard. As a result you have spent much of your life relegated to the fringes of society, trying to eke out a living as best you can. Tiring of dead end hauling work that barely pays the bills, you are determined to break free from your unfair exile and take back what is rightfully yours... but what possible difference can one lowly spacer make in a galaxy teetering on the very edge of chaos?

This is going to be more along the lines of E1 and E2 in terms of its overall difficulty levels and shall we say 'grittiness'. At this time I cannot provide an estimated release date but the ships, planets and systems have been done.

Regards,

Tim

http://www.evula.org/empire_trilogy

Yay! When beta testing start, Count me in

Sounds very cool...I've always wanted to see what happened to the Empire and the Weave after the Dominion was destroyed...and using Nova's engine will make it look very nice.

If you want beta testers, shall we PM or e-mail you? Just asking.

Here's yet another who can't wait.

Um, sorry to be a spoiler but is this really is an upcoming plug-in? It sounds more like the topic should be called upcoming TC or total conversion. Hrm...

ProfessorADN, on Feb 28 2005, 10:44 AM, said:

Um, sorry to be a spoiler but is this really is an upcoming plug-in? It sounds more like the topic should be called upcoming TC or total conversion. Hrm...
View Post

Polycon was a TC yet also a plug-in. Got a problem understanding? A TC is a plug-in.

He's fairly new, much like myself, Anax. The Prof is mostl likely just trying to think in more specific terms.

And this comes from the mouth of the man who said that there would be no more Empire plug-ins. It seems you have once again succumbed to the pleas of your ever-loyal fans Tim. 😛

I believe that was his original intention, but hey, can we blame Tim? I for one enjoy his plugs, so if he decides to make another one, by all means, I won't lift a finger to stop him. And technically it isn't about the Empire, even though it is set in the Empire galaxy.

Don't take me wrong--this is a very good thing--but Tim said that the last Empire plug would be the last (and the one before that too). We can only wait for that which is the joy of good plug-writing by Tim Isles. Cheers 😉