A modest request for the "Free-EV" plug-in.

A looong time ago, two guys named Dan and Josh we're making a plug-in called The Gap for Escape Velocity Classic.
This plug-in was never finished and today the site only exists in web-archives.
However, beside that project they finished a graphics-mod for the original EV-scenario called "Free-EV". At the time it was only accessible from a tinty tiny link the homepage for The Gap and downloadable in five parts.

Here's a link to The Gap on web.archive.org
http://web.archive.org/web/19991004022119/...u/~jmf9936/gap/

Here's a link to Free-EV on the same archive-site
http://web.archive.org/web/19991003231104/...mf9936/free-ev/

I always thought the graphics of that mod we're quite cool and original, but I have of course lost the plug-in. Perhaps someone else found out about this site and actually made certain to SAVE the plug for themselves? Maybe it could find it's way to the Ambrosia-archive?

Thank you for bothering 🙂

What are you talking about? I've been sneaking around on these boards for three years, and on the Escape Velocity addons page for some time before that, and I never saw anything remotely like what you say. But, you have evidence, so I'll do a search and see what I can dig up for you.

Whew...I thought this was another "make EV 0p3n sorsse plzplzplz 3D multiplayer!!1!@!!~~!" thread.

Well, it looks like a really old project...it even mentions Vorinth! (who remembers Vorinth?...man, I feel really old now)

Looks interesting, and I don't doubt that there are probably at least a handful of other abandoned projects out there. Give me a couple weeks, and maybe I can try to piece together a temporary home for things like this. If you could e-mail me a reminder, that could also help too.

I understand your concern. I was bothered that the topic might be misinterpreted, so I made certain you all could easily see that there was fact behind my request.

I'm not surprised if noone knew about the mod, I found it by pure chance several years ago. The actual link from The Gap-site is so tiny most of us wouldn't bother to look more carefully.

In my opinion, the best thing would be to upload it to the add-ons archive here, should anyone find it.
In any case, I appreciate your efforts to help 🙂

Firebird, on Dec 16 2004, 02:25 AM, said:

Well, it looks like a really old project...it even mentions Vorinth! (who remembers Vorinth?...man, I feel really old now)

Looks interesting, and I don't doubt that there are probably at least a handful of other abandoned projects out there. Give me a couple weeks, and maybe I can try to piece together a temporary home for things like this. If you could e-mail me a reminder, that could also help too.
View Post

Something called "Lost Projects of EV" for example?
That would be an interesting project and I'd be happy to help out. Perhaps dig out som background info on old, major projects that were never finished, including possible preview plug-ins that were released.

There's lots and lots of Vaporware for EV, and it might be a nice contribution to the community to catalog some of the more important ones. Allthough I can see people getting frustrated for wanting to try them out again. I know I would 😉

Here are a few projects that come to mind:

Vorinth - There is a preview plug-in with ships somewhere.
The Visitor - Same here
Elite Frontiers Solar "Adventures"(?) - Prequel to Elite Frontiers within our solar system.
Free-EV
The Gap
The Sequel to "Star Wars: A New Alliance" that's in the add-on archive. Only screenshots were released.

Good News Everyone!

Unless you've alreade grown tired of my nostalgic ramblings 😉

I spoke to an old friend of mine who I know I gave a copy of Free-EV all those years ago. As it turns out, he still had his old EV-archive backed up and sent me a copy. Just as I hoped, Free-EV was in that archive!

I'm going to upload the file to Ambrosia's archive, including a short read-me giving credit to the author and linking back to the old archived site. Until then, it's available on my own site:

http://users.du.se/~h03clajo/ev/

Have fun everyone!

Awesome...I'll let you know once I put something up; I probably won't get to it until after New Year's though. Hopefully I'll have enough time then to scrap together a decent web home for these abandoned projects.

Firebird, on Dec 23 2004, 06:09 PM, said:

Awesome...I'll let you know once I put something up; I probably won't get to it until after New Year's though. Hopefully I'll have enough time then to scrap together a decent web home for these abandoned projects.
View Post

Sounds great!
If you need an extra hand in writing or hunting info. Let me know. I would have helped out coding as well, but it would require time I don't have. Besides, it's your project 🙂

Merry Christmas everyone!