EV Open Source

since the Development team refuses to make the online version of this game and the posters on this board shun the countless players who wished for an online version including myself, i think it would be nice to make Escape Velocity an open source. it could create an excellent development platform for game designers.
I always thought this game would work great on a system like the Nintendo DS. And since they have confirmed WiFi compatibility, it would create a huge following.

Nice idea, unfortunately it's probably not going to happen.
They've said no to open-source Avara, chances are EV's not gonna be open-soruce either.

Other game development compaines have released open-source versions of their games, but EV: C is still generating cash (I Think).

but EV: C is still generating cash (I Think).

not suprised about that. I liked it more than nova. 😛

Open-source EV is something that just plain isn't going to happen. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.

And its not ganna happen because anyone can just look at the source and by pass the registration.

What a novel idea!

I remember seeing topics like this when EV came out for mac and everyone bitched about it not being ported to windows :laugh:

nOOb, on Nov 12 2004, 04:35 PM, said:

I remember seeing topics like this when EV came out for mac and everyone bitched about it not being ported to windows :laugh:
View Post

Ya, there is always something new to whine about.

EV:DS would be pretty cool.

It's come up before.

Swithich, on Nov 12 2004, 12:53 PM, said:

Ya, there is always something new to whine about.
View Post

And something old.

Unless EV is really still generating steady income for Ambrosia, I don't really see why it would be a bd idea to do so, especially since you can get EV classic with nova. I can understand, though if they don't out of principle. Maybe rather than releasing the source, Matt Burch could hand over the reins so that others can make some more EV's?

Meh wishful thinking most likely, but it's always fun to hope :)!

And then when your hopes are crushed, you end up complaining even more. Not a good deal for any of us.

Who has seriously offered to port the game and was denied by Ambrosia?