Choppy Graphics

Hey y'all! I missed EV really bad, so I re-downloaded it. When I launched it though, the movement was all choppy. Choppy enough to kinda crush my hopes of playing EV for more than 15 seconds at a time anyway. I looked in options, and tried changing the game speed, but it didn't work, and there was nothing like "More compatible drawing" or anything like that to switch. I'm on a G3 running 10.3.

Help! I want to play EV!

Thanx

-disco

------------------
That wedge of cheese
can't hurt anyone! So
don't dread it - it even
says not to

My understanding is that EV is OS 9 native. Try reloading on the classic OS

------------------

Yeah, for some reason 10.3's classic environment is really very slow. I recommend you either boot in OS9, or run the EV port for EVN.

------------------
-- ** (url="http://"http://www.mazca.com/")Mazca(/url)**

Just run it in Mac os x. To enable in Mac OS 10.3 go to its info and uncheck launch in classic

------------------

This problem seems to keep coming up.

The issue, as I have come to discover, is that in X 10.3 a new system extension was introduced for the graphics card driver. Lots of 'Classic' apps now suffer choppy graphics performance.

The solutions seem to be to install OS 9, or X 10.2 on a partition/external drive/etc. and run the game from there. If you are more adventurous you might try to find the GeForce.kext from 10.2 and use it in the 10.3 install. I use 10.2 on an external drive and EV runs fine on the Classic under that.

------------------

Justin Gould
Elite Frontiers, 1997

Alright, I'm a mac geek, but I don't know what half these things are. My dad won't boot our computer into any other OS. I'd like to know a solution to this that can be acheived with a standard account.

Thanks again.

------------------
That wedge of cheese
can't hurt anyone! So
don't dread it - it even
says not to

Do you have:
1 = 10.3 on say like a new laptop or mac?
2 = an old mac that has been upgraded to 10.3?

1. You can't install os 9 on a newly bought mac (that comes with 10.3) other wise my brother's comp would have it, so he just deals with runing classic enviorment and playing Star Craft. Yes it lags, but it is better than nothing.

2. click the "system preferences" in your dock or (go under the apple menu and select system prefs) and then click "startup disk" under system select os9 and hit save and restart, if it asks for a pass ask your dad to put it in. Then wait for your comp to restart and poof its in os9. A short cut of getting back to osx, (not sure if it works with panther) is just telling your comp to restart then hold the "x" key down until you see that little annoying circle pop up (middle buttom of screen) then let go and poof osX.

(FYI: im on a old imac, since im moving and there is a possiblity that my imac might get broken, whats the point of buying a new one then having the risk of it breaking?)

------------------
StarGate: Atlantis and StarGate: SG1 are on Sci Fi now, watch them and witness the gateness...

If you still have problems, but want to play in the original EV scenario, download the plugin "Empire, War Without End" for EVO. Some System and Planet name changes. The Rebels and Confeds have different names, you get a kick*** ship, and the battle scenes are brilliant. I just played it, and give it a raving two thumbs up.

------------------
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

Originally posted by wondergirl:
If you still have problems, but want to play in the original EV scenario, download the plugin "Empire, War Without End" for EVO. Some System and Planet name changes. The Rebels and Confeds have different names, you get a kick* ship, and the battle scenes are brilliant. I just played it, and give it a raving two thumbs up.

i have a feeling that if EV Classic doesn't work well, there is no way in hell EVO will work well.

------------------
the antichrist will be elected by fax machine.

I had the same problem but EVO runs much better than EV.

------------------
WARNING! Escape Velocity
Addict. EV Overide was the
best Escape Velocity Game
EVer.