Spelling and Grammar in PoG

My god, grammar in PoG dialog is atrocious! I expect a few errors in the first release of a program, but I've only been playing for a few (<30) minutes, and I've found so many I've lost count! I'm not exactly an english major myself, so if I'm complaining, something's wrong here. Even when the grammar is technically right, the quality of the writing is so bad that I found myself actually wincing at some of those sentences... I don't think I've come across more than 1 or 2 dialogs that I couldn't have improved myself... and like I said, I'm not exactly an english major.

This may sound strange, but I actually feel insulted (not personally, but as a member of the Mac gaming community and as an Ambrosia fan) that Ambrosia would release something that they seem to have put so little work into. Wait, let me clarify that sentence, in order to avoid starting a flame war... it is obvious from playing the game that they put a lot of work into all other aspects of the game. It just seems like there's a huge omission, like they released the game unfinished.

I hope that EV Nova doesn't suffer from the same drawback. I've been impressed (mostly) by the Nova preambles; the quality of writing is pretty high in most of them, although a few parts felt like first drafts... Still, if the quality of the writing in the game is as high as in the preambles, I'll be impressed. (And if the quality of the writing is even half as impressive as the story behind the game, we'll all be completely blown away... congratulations to whoever came up with the EV Nova background story!)

Anyway, back to PoG... What happened?!?!? It feels like it's a poorly done English translation of a game designed in a foreign language.

------------------

actually I found nothing wrong with the spelling in the game.
however the grammar may leave something to desired.
but I think the game other then that is great.
------------------
I am the peak of human evolution.

(This message has been edited by dude17 (edited 09-06-2001).)

Yep, that was one of my major problems with POG. Overall I like the game, its fun, quick & easy. But sheesh, the grammar is awful at times!

All you base belong to us!!!!

------------------

Its was looked over quite alot im sure of it, but when it was put back into the game, i guess things didnt go perfectly. Any way im sure these thing will be fixed in the future.

------------------
|(url="http://"http://www.macgamefiles.com/")Mac Game Files(/url)|(url="http://"http://www.insidemacgames.com")Inside Mac Games(/url)

I agree that the spelling and grammar are atrocious. Here are some snippets from the nearest dialogue I could find:

"What happen next?"

"...but winning had come to a high price."

"...she proceeded to kill the remainnig (sic) soldiers..."

"Why does, she want the divine lamp?"

These quotes are from a randomly chosen piece of dialogue. In general, it's as if Beenox had a few extra canisters of commas lying around, so they decided to throw them haphazardly into the dialogue. The point is that such small errors permeate the entire game, and mar an otherwise excellent story.

------------------
There are three types of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can't.

A suggestion(that Andrew and others may or may not like, heh): If you have the time
and/or the desire, why don't you make a list of all the spelling/grammer problems that
you find in the game, along with where they are located(ie, "The Mayor of Fantrima.").
Then post a list. Others will post their lists. And Ambrosia/Beenox will have a nice
list to begin doing "typos/grammer" fixes on for a patch.

In other words, if it bothers you, report what you find so that it can be fixed that much
quicker. I would be willing to bet that they are as interested in cleaning the game up
as you are interested in seeing it cleaned up. πŸ™‚

------------------
Shoot 'em with everything you've got. If anything still lives, shoot 'em again.

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**A suggestion(that Andrew and others may or may not like, heh): If you have the time
and/or the desire, why don't you make a list of all the spelling/grammer problems that
you find in the game, along with where they are located(ie, "The Mayor of Fantrima.").
Then post a list. Others will post their lists. And Ambrosia/Beenox will have a nice

In other words, if it bothers you, report what you find so that it can be fixed that much
quicker. I would be willing to bet that they are as interested in cleaning the game up

I too find the grammer grating. I thought it was just the demo version.

As far as making a list and sending it in:
I thought that's what we paid the $25.00 for - someone to actually look through stuff like this before it is released.

If Ambrosia wants me to Beta-Test and grammar check, I'll be happy to do so, but not after the game is released.

------------------
It is better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. (I wish I could remember this before posting!)

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**A suggestion(that Andrew and others may or may not like, heh): If you have the time

If the spelling/grammar bothers you that much, when CS is released. but it and make a patch yourself. I would rather have the ambrosia crew completeing and perfecting CS than PoG right now, personally. (Besides, PoG is just a marketing tool to make everyone go "Oooooh! Look what CS can do!")

------------------
The legend of Zelda, while a good insomnia cure, is NOT an rpg.

Originally posted by musicman:
**If the spelling/grammar bothers you that much, when CS is released. but it and make a patch yourself. I would rather have the ambrosia crew completeing and perfecting CS than PoG right now, personally. (Besides, PoG is just a marketing tool to make everyone go "Oooooh! Look what CS can do!")

πŸ˜„ Yet another reason to keep your $25 and spend it on Nova instead. Or, better yet, buy both!

------------------
CoreyΕ‚ (Cubed)
WILL POST FOR FOOD
Are you a fan of HHGG? Play the original text adventure (url="http://"http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html")here(/url)!