How do you...

land on a planet that has no spob/no spaceport acknowledgement..., but when you check your map, there's a little yellow circle where the planet's supposed to be? I'm speaking specifically of New Maurs in the "Angels of Vengeance" plugin. I've seen/taken several missions to go there, but when I get there, I don't see a planet, but I do see several ships "orbiting" something. I checked the plug out with "PlugChecker" and got many errors. I also got many errors with "Eye of Orion" and "Pale," but "Eye of Orion" played fine. What am I to do?

-Ace :

------------------
"War not determine who right...War determine who left"

Originally posted by CaptAceHarddrive:
**land on a planet that has no spob/no spaceport acknowledgement..., but when you check your map, there's a little yellow circle where the planet's supposed to be? I'm speaking specifically of New Maurs in the "Angels of Vengeance" plugin. I've seen/taken several missions to go there, but when I get there, I don't see a planet, but I do see several ships "orbiting" something. I checked the plug out with "PlugChecker" and got many errors. I also got many errors with "Eye of Orion" and "Pale," but "Eye of Orion" played fine. What am I to do?

-Ace :

Plug checker is a valuable took for debugging plugs, but it is not infallible. Often it will report "errors" that are not actually errors - for instance if a resource in a plug is intended to replace a resource in EV, Plug Checker will report the ID of the plug resource as being out of the range of correct ID numbers. Plug Checker reports must be interpreted through knowlwdge and experience, not regarded as absolute truth.

As for your specific problem with "Angels of Vengeance," have you tried landing on New Maurs? If the planet shows on the radar, you may be able to land even though there is not picture displayed in the game screen. If you can select the planet using the navigation controls, you should be able to land. The problem may be a missing PICT or a bad link between spob and syst resources. Try to play it as it is and see what happens - after backing up your pilot file, of course.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Thanks for the response, Joe! I had a feeling PlugChecker was reporting things that were needn't be reported, yet, it turned up so many errors they can't all be mistakes, can they? I was playing "Oreste" and EV Plugin Auditor told me there was a conflict between Oreste's Graphics and Data plugs! I never expected that! So I discounted it. As for New Maurs, it's in the Neptron system, and I can see the little yellow circle on my radar screen (up at the top right corner), and there are ships "orbiting" it, yet there is no spob, and I can't "target" (wrong word) it for landing, and no matter how many times I use the L key or the B key nothing happens! I don't even get a "can't land on because ___ is too unstable" message. I put "AoV" away for the time being and have begun playing "Pale." Well, "Pale" has missions to someplace called "Frontier" that just happens to be in...Neptron! The red flag is pointing to Neptron, but the system only contains one spob called...Pale! I have yet to find a real place called "Frontier." So far, I've begun and set aside: "Angels of Vengeance" and "Oreste." I've also put the individual pilot files for each in each folder.

-Ace 🙂

------------------

**Thanks for the response, Joe! I had a feeling PlugChecker was reporting things that were needn't be reported, yet, it turned up so many errors they can't all be mistakes, can they?

Depends on what the reported "errors" are 🙂
For example, I have had Plug Checker report that all 128 sprite and mask PICTs for ships in a plug had the wrong ID#s because checker uses a non-standard numbering sequence.

As for New Maurs, it's in the Neptron system, and I can see the little yellow circle on my radar screen (up at the top right corner), and there are ships "orbiting" it, yet there is no spob, and I can't "target" (wrong word) it for landing, and no matter how many times I use the L key or the B key nothing happens!

I suppose you have also tried the spob selection keys (1-4) with no result.begins to sound like the system/spob links are incorrect.

Back to some basic plug-in troubleshooting procedures. You have not mentioned whether (1) you are only using one plug-in at a time or (2) if you started a new pilot file for each plug-in. And of course you might check to see which version of EV the plugs are intended to be used with.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

I found out what the problem was! I had "Levo Fix" installed in the plugins folder as well. With that in, there's always a Neptron system with (whatever) planet/station. After I removed that plug, Neptron disappeared and I found where I was supposed to go. No problem from then on!

Thanks again!
-Ace 😄

------------------

**I found out what the problem was! I had "Levo Fix" installed in the plugins folder as well. With that in, there's always a Neptron system with (whatever) planet/station. After I removed that plug, Neptron disappeared and I found where I was supposed to go. No problem from then on!

Thanks again!
-Ace 😄

Glad you fixed it.
I dug out my (never played) copy of "Angels of Vengeance" and discovered that New Maurs is supposed to be in the Kassiopeia system - after mission bit 208 is set.

------------------
Joe Burnette

Well, using "Levo Fix," New Maurs was in Neptron. With it out, there was no Neptron! However, what is in the Kassiopeia system is the planet "Amazon" and the moon right next to it (forgot the name) which was used as a spy base by the Maursians. Lemme tell ya, even after I took out the extraneous plugs, I got numerous stellar defense missions against Maursian attack fleets. Now, counting the Maursians left out after their way home was cut off, no way could they field that many attack fleets. It's just way too many ships! Of course, I was, as always, happy to help them give their lives for their "nation." I just wish something could have been done about the human subjects on Maurs before the hypergate was destroyed. Right now, I'm going to download E1: War Without End and see if I can open it with no problems. I tried once before and all I got was an error message.

Yep. -50 error when I try to open E1: War Without End. BTW: do you know if there is any difference between E1 and Empire (plug)?

-Ace 😄

------------------

(This message has been edited by CaptAceHarddrive (edited 08-17-2002).)

(B..However, what is in the Kassiopeia system is the planet "Amazon" and the moon right next to it (forgot the name) which was used as a spy base by the Maursians...
(/B)

It appears that if you play the plug a certain way (work for the Maursians, maybe?) the planet Amazon is captured by the Maursians and renamed New Maurs.

------------------
Joe Burnette

I didn't think of that! Well, I finished the plug and am now nearing the end of "Empire" where I am into the Astrodyne Outpost missions (#V specifically). It is here I need help. I posted a topic on this already but have gotten no responses. I am told the weapon would be on an Argosy-class ship, but when I get to Castor, the ship is cloaked! Besides which, while its accompanying ships are within the "Great Wall," the weapon ship is beyond the "Great Wall" and therefore I cannot get to it! What do you think of that?
BTW: I put "Empire" aside for the time being and am working on "EVGE." Well, guess what? Besides the usual "Cap'n Hector" I saw (but did not encounter) a "Captain Hector" flying the same class ship I am (an Antinoda Condor)!

-Ace 🙂

------------------