to be perfectly honest..

..i think the game is terrible.

------------------

Originally posted by retep:
**..i think the game is terrible.

Would you care to be more specific about what you think is so terrible about the game or did you wake up one morning and decide you'd hate PoG just because?

------------------
Money is not the root of all evil, Jar Jar Binks is.

Originally posted by samuraicat:
**Would you care to be more specific about what you think is so terrible about the game or did you wake up one morning and decide you'd hate PoG just because?

i'm not exactly in a position to be more specific because i think it's just enough.. plus, the graphics were too visually abrasive for me to be able to get into the specifics of the game. i'm not a graphics nut to any extent (i loved all previous ambrosia games graphically), but the graphics don't even really WORK (by this i don't mean function) in the environment of the game.. they're just sloppy.. cythera's graphics weren't well-done but it didn't matter. here it's as if they were trying to make the most pseudo-3D graphics ambrosia ever made.. so there's one reason..

------------------

Unfortunately, I have to agree that PoG really disappointed me. The graphics were terrible, and, frankly, I was expecting better from Ambrosia/Beenox. The gameplay and story are a bit shallow. I've been playing this game since it came out, but the story doesn't seem to become that much more immersive. I frequently find myself spending my time looking for the place I am going to, because I don't seem to be able to look at a map of everywhere I have discovered so far. The tunnels barely make this bearable. I ask myself, "Why am I spending my time wandering around and fighting creatures who quack when they attack you?" The story needs a bit more depth, it takes a Herculean effort to enjoy the boring-ness of PoG. I don't want to have to wander around and do repetitive tasks to complete tasks. I don't want to just go out there and fight. I need more to get enjoyment out of the game. Judging by Ambrosia's past games, I found that PoG was rather disappointing in terms of quality.

-cybergnu

------------------
"The Gnuey Boy"

(This message has been edited by cybergnu (edited 09-01-2001).)

Normally I wouldn’t bother responding to this type of post since when someone posts an opinion with nothing to back it up, it is generally a fruitless effort to try and refute the comment but you did later follow up your original post with a comment about the graphics style in the game as a reason for your opinion so I will respond to your view about the game.

Since you only cited the graphics in support of your opinion, I am forced to conclude that this is the only reason for your opinion. You never listed anything about the game play itself, bugs you might have encountered, game is too easy, etc. I myself never base my opinion about the quality of a game based just on one aspect of it. I try to base my opinion based on the totality of the game. The rest of my comments I confess are based only on my experience with the demo version of POG, (I’m waiting for my registration code).

I for one do not find the graphics inappropriate at all for the game. Yes, they are simple when compared to other graphics in a more realistic style, but in my opinion, they are in keeping with the rest of the overall feel of the game itself. It is after all a fantasy RPG type of game and therefore does not call for total realism in graphic style. I might also add that for myself, I find a number of the graphics quite pleasing. The little graphic representations of the weapons and armor in the blacksmith shop at the opening village you end up in are quite well done IMHO. The rest of the graphics in the village and surrounding areas are easily recognizable for the actual objects they represent, etc. So really, what is your actual complaint about them? They don’t look real enough? What?

As for the game play: yes at the start of the game there are several rather simple quest type adventures that you can undertake to build up your abilities and gain money to improve your outfits to help you complete additional tasks of a more complex nature as you get further along in the game. (Rather lengthy sentence there.) 😛 I for one believe this aspect was intentional on the part of Andrew and Ambrosia. In another thread posted elsewhere on this forum, Andrew himself stated that the games target audience was intended to be the less experienced type of RPG player and that it was entirely possible that more experienced players of this type of game might find it less of a challenge. Perhaps that is why I find the game fun and interesting. I tend to keep my game playing activities to the space adventure action type ones and this is one of the few RPG fantasy games I have tried. I like it a lot. I find there is enough of a challenge in the game play that I have to pay attention to what is happening and what people say to me in the game, yet I can still complete the assigned tasks I am given, even if it takes me a couple of attempts. I am looking forward to being able to gain access to the entire arena of play once my Reg. Code arrives to see what else is out there in the game.

As I stated above, these opinions of mine are based only on the demo version and as such are only my initial impressions of the game itself. I will wait until I have completed the entire game to form a final opinion about the game. If you have not done this, I would humbly suggest you do so and then come back and give a more detailed reason of why you do or do not like the game. Only then will you be providing the type of information game makers need to improve their products for future players. Unsubstantiated bashing is of little benefit or use to anyone. You might also try asking why Ambrosia did something, rather than making a comment in the manner as you did, about the graphics in the game. You might learn something that will change your thinking about them.

Have a pleasant day.

------------------
CRH

Originally posted by cybergnu:
**Unfortunately, I have to agree that PoG really disappointed me. The graphics were terrible, and, frankly, I was expecting better from Ambrosia/Beenox. The gameplay and story are a bit shallow. I've been playing this game since it came out, but the story doesn't seem to become that much more immersive.

Judging by Ambrosia's past games, I found that PoG was rather disappointing in terms of quality.

I disagree with you -- other than a few bugs, I am happy with the quality and feel of PoG. It isn't an RPG that takes itself too seriously -- it is a fun, fanciful adventure that people can just pick up and start enjoying.

If you like hardcore RPGs, it probably won't be your cup of tea -- but this is intentional. It not designed for people who love stats management, or insanely complex storylines that require your intense devotion.

Consider it a mix of an arcade game and an adventure/RPG -- and relax, it's just a game. 😉

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

It seems there has been a lot of discussion os how good a game PoG is. I'll admit, 5 minutes into the game I thought, "Well this really isn't as good as I was hoping." However, I began to realize that the game doesn't take itself seriously. If it seems a little simple, that's because it's supposed to be. Is it the equal of Baldur's Gate? No! Was it meant to be? No! But, it also didn't ship on 6 discs. And I don't remember Baldur's Gate costing $25 right out of the gate. I really liked Baldur's Gate, but I do find that PoG is easier to play because I don't have to worry so much about my stats or trying to keep track of 50-plus simultaneous, but separate, story threads. Both games have their place, and both have their intended audience. If you can accept that they're not aimed at the same group of people then you might find the game more enjoyable. I know I did.
(Now if I can just find out how to keep the game from crashing so frequently, I'll be happy.)

Jaime
adonimelek@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Jaime:
**Both games have their place, and both have their intended audience. If you can accept that they're not aimed at the same group of people then you might find the game more enjoyable. I know I did.

Well-said!

Originally posted by Jaime:
**(Now if I can just find out how to keep the game from crashing so frequently, I'll be happy.)

Can you post details of your configuration? Are you using CarbonLib 1.4? PoG should not be crashing on you frequently.

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I've been playing the demo for awhile. A lot of people seem to dislike the graphics. I, for one, think that the backgrounds (Trees, Structures, Rocks) are great, although the human character graphics leave something to be desired. However, as I 3D Artist, I can understand the trouble in creating convincing organic graphics. Game play is good, although it would be nice if my character’s appearance changed to reflect armor & weapons.

------------------
Oh, don't worry, they can't see us through our cloaking device.
(Famous Last Words #2384)

I was not disappointed, I was surprised. I saw the screenshots and movies and was not impressed. Then I downloaded the demo and was immediately hooked. It is a very upbeat game with standard Ambrosia wit. I love the town walls and roofs! It looks more medieval than most RPGs and the background graphics do make up for the weak character graphics.

The gameplay is superb the use of attack/block is excellent. Computer games get boring when quests are to rare or require to much (the only quest available for a level 19 character is at least a lvl 25 quest.) In PoG the quests pile on top of each other, always keeping you busy. The Titles feature is also ingenious.

This is not a breakthrough RPG but a perfected one. To some it may seem cliched, to others original and fresh. Personally, I think this sort of high quality uplifting game is a long time coming. Diablo II is very gothic, compared to a more bright, green medieval D&D; world. I would not consider myself a beginner to the RPG field, maybe an advanced Squire 🙂 , and I love it. Different games for different people.

Also, down the road will someone be able to make a plug adding graphics for two-handed weapons and axes and what not. It is rather annoying that my Warrior with a Two-handed Orge Axe is carrying a sword and shield.

------------------
Bushes are nice 'cause they don't have prickers -- unless they do. This one did. Ouch! -Ralph Wiggum
Download (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl?path=ferazel/addons&file;=Extemporaneous.sit.hqx")Extemporaneous 0.5(/url) for Ferazel's Wand.
Visit the (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/emudevelopers/ferazel.html")Extemporaneous Website(/url).