PoG initial comments: OS X

Looks very good on OSX, so far I have found only two oddities, neither of which is a showstopper:
1: Quitting doesn't exit the app. It's still in my Dock
2: Loading a saved game with the load command gives me a registration restriction, even if the game was saved immediately after the opening screen. The workaround is to launch the saved game file in the finder.

And two suggestions:
It would be nice if I could click on a map and go to a place I've already explored.
Is there an option to set walking speed?

Other than that: a fine game with the prospects of much playing time.

------------------

Originally posted by MCroft:
**Looks very good on OSX, so far I have found only two oddities, neither of which is a showstopper:
1: Quitting doesn't exit the app. It's still in my Dock

You have to click on the "buy me!" splash it displays when you quit.

2: Loading a saved game with the load command gives me a registration restriction, even if the game was saved immediately after the opening screen. The workaround is to launch the saved game file in the finder.

Yep, this is a bug.

And two suggestions:
It would be nice if I could click on a map and go to a place I've already explored.

Once you discover the tunnels, you'll be getting around a bit quicker 😉

Glad ya like it -- Pillars of Garendall is a lot of fun... 🙂

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

snip...

And two suggestions:

There is something like the map thing. Talk to everyone in Fantrima and search the general area around Fantrima (about 2 sections/loads worth). A great concept executed here!

Nope, walking speed is not controllable.

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

This game is just great, it combines the best features of Realmz, Cythera and Prince Of Destruction. I think so at least. Great job. I have a small problem too, when I save or load a game, the dialog is just half visible, the other half is below my screen. So I can't access the New Folder button, and sometimes the filelists are cut in half. In MacOS X in fullscreen mode that is. Not a fatal bug, but a bit annoying. Anyway, thanks for another great game. Now we'll just wait for Coldstone to see what others may come up with 🙂

------------------
Markus Magnuson , Graphical Interface
Maker Of Original Quality SprCrnr™ Icons
(url="http://"mailto:markus.magnuson@telia.com")mailto:markus.magnuson@telia.com(/url)markus.magnuson@telia.com

Follow up on my oddities:
#1: it's not that, it's a well known OS X bug, where the dock sometimes must be restarted. I'd forgotten about that.
#2: woo hoo! I found a bug. Despite two years away from QA, I still love that...

------------------

**Looks very good on OSX, so far I have found only two oddities, neither of which is a showstopper:

IMO, this save game bug is a showstopper. I almost trashed the game when i realized that my first saved game did not work. That looked to me like a SERIOUSLY restrictive reg policy (not being able to save in the demo). Only because i knew ambrosia was usually not very restrictive did i take the time to check the webboard and see that it is a bug.

1.0.1 should be released today, to fix this bug... (its almost Ambrosia Policy to have a 1.0.1 the day after release, anyway 🙂

Other comments after 10 min of play - I also work in QA.

I'm noticing lots of "iffy" grammar, that i would have definitely bugged had i seen them at work.
For example: Stuff like using CAPITALS for emphasis in NPC text dialogs is pretty unprofessional. it looks like an email. You should use italics.
I'm also seeing runon sentences, clauses that need periods, and the like.

------------------
Dual 800 G4 - 1.5GB -
GF3

Originally posted by benh57:
**1.0.1 should be released today, to fix this bug... (its almost Ambrosia Policy to have a 1.0.1 the day after release, anyway:)

It is? I'm not aware of us ever doing anything like that.

As for the bug, I don't think it is incredibly detrimental, and there is an easy work-around.

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Originally posted by andrew:
**As for the bug, I don't think it is incredibly detrimental, and there is an easy work-around.

Hmmm... quitting and restarting the game is a workaround, but not particularly easy. It would be if I could just dismiss the splash screens by clicking or ESCaping or whatever.

Why don't you put out a 1.0.1 update that both kills the bug and allows us to skip the splash screens? 🙂

I'm crashing alot in 10.0.4. I've got a "Pismo" PB G3 w/ 576MB RAM and the game keeps crashing every 15-30minutes. Definitely not fun. It's happened twice now after I had leveled up, but hadn't saved in awhile. I know, I know, I should save frequently, but the game is so engaging that I forget. If you want I can post exactly what other software is running during the game, just a couple of Docklings for the most part, but it may make a difference. I'll try quitting some to see what difference, if any, there is. Please help me out. I'd love to register this game, and probably will anyway, but I want to know that it's going to work reliably. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jaime

Well, you gotta take into account that even if PoG has a lot of bugs now, most of them are likely to be fixed in the next few updates, making it more reliable with each patch file you get for it.

Originally posted by Jaime:
I'm crashing alot in 10.0.4. I've got a "Pismo" PB G3 w/ 576MB RAM and the game keeps crashing every 15-30minutes. Definitely not fun.

Wow, this is mystifying. I've played PoG for hours on-end under Mac OS X with nary a single crash.

We're definitely on the case, though!

------------------