o Seconday Weapo

Well, after having my computer's hard drive wiped, probably by an electrical spike (my brother says I dropped it; like Hell), I finally decided to get around to downloading Escape Velocity again.

Loaded it up, liked the nice music, good memories, went into game, and...

Did someone change the font? "No Secondary Weapons" doesn't fit on the screen anymore, on any resolution, and there's no space between the shield sign and side - "100%Confed", or, usually, "100%Confec", with the last vertical line cut off.

I played EV:O again, and found the same problem, but I'm sure that's an old copy that I've played before. So, either I've changed something, something's different, or, (preferably), I'm going insane.

So any ideas on the o Secondary Weapo?

------------------
Word.

Alright. I managed to reproduce the problem you're having. By deleting the 'FOND' resource, part of the actual Escape-Velocity plugin, the font defaulted to something other than the built in font. "No Secondary Weapon" spills way over the box limits and there's no space between the Shield Status and Govt label in the Targeting Box any more. Pop open the Escape-Velocity application in Res-Edit (Make sure not to screw anything up) and check to see that the 'FOND' resource is intact. It should be ID 2020 and it's size should be 676. Make sure all this checks out.

If it does, try re-downloading the game again. If that doesn't fix it, there's something in your operating system or in a plugin you're using which is overriding EV's ability to load that resource. Make sure you're not using a plugin (I don't know of any using a FOND resource but I could just be naieve) and try again.

If it doesn't, here's some recomendations.
If the ID isn't 2020, fix it.
If the resource is either missing entirely or not the correct size, let me know and I'll put a res-edit file with the resource somewhere you can get to easily. Just crack both Escape-Velocity and the file open in Res-Edit and copy the resource over.

Good luck.

-AJ

------------------
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time." - Dominic Toretto, The Fast And The Furious

Thanks for the advice, Low-Key, but you could have just kept it to "FOND resource". I can take a hint. <grin> It's time I downloaded ResEdit again after the problems with my computer.

I'm sure you're right about that. Once I've checked it up, though, I think I'll download EV a few more times - perhaps the problem with the FOND resource is a glitch in the update. But I'm sure you know syntax and moki - I'm not saying anything until I know for certain.

<goes off to test a few things with EV tuner as it downloads> Hmm...Matt Burch and Andrew Welch in Sol at the same time...fun.

(edit)I checked the FOND resouce; ID is 2020 and size is 676. I also deleted it, and there was no change from there. The resource is fine - it appears to be that it's not accessing it very well. Re-downloading(/edit)

------------------
Word.

(This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited 03-07-2002).)