The Ultimate Plugin Question

Originally posted by Lord Asriel:
**Pale's graphics are better than Quantumire Trilogy's? While I haven't played Pale, I find it hard to believe that anything out there right now surpasses QT's graphics.

I have played Pale and QT. Pale graphics are better. QT has some very good ships-- some that are better than Pale's-- but most of the ships you see at the beginning suck. In contrast, Pale ships are uniformly excellent.

Originally posted by Macros:
**What are the main features you like to see in TC's/plugins that make them superior to others? What would you like to see more of? Less of? What are common mistakes you see or dislike in some plugs?

The story, as expressed in misns, spob descs, and ship descs is the most important thing.

Do not make a huge galaxy unless you REALLY need that many star systems. New Horizons and EVGE have large galaxies and their authors could not resist misns like "find the secret research base somewhere in the northeastern section", or "find an invading fleet somewhere on the edge of the galaxy". These missions had me clicking for Resorcerer. Large galaxies cause problems with the "Deliver cargo to <DST>" misns because the player will be required to travel 50% of the diameter of the galaxy for the typical delivery.

Galactic Scourge did the big galaxy right-- the author locked you out of the extraneous areas until the scenario required you to go there.

Avoid huge spob graphics. Mugabi and Destiny is the only plug that did huge spobs well (and did it very well indeed). Other plugs just drop a giant PICT of Jupiter somewhere at random, causing battles slow to a crawl whenever you fly past that spob. Real pain when you are trying to reach the hyper limit.

------------------