How do I make planets?

I have the EV Developer's Map, and when i played the game, I noticed that the systems I had made were unpopulated (DUH!) so, how do I make them populated. Like, with planets?
I also have Planet Forge, but for some God Forsaken reason, it doesn't work, and the creator won't give me a straight answer as to why it doesn't. So, if anyone has had the 'init' problem with it, please email me at dclark@rmci.net
And/Or at this webboard. THANKS! SEEYA!

------------------
----David----
----The Beloved----

if you've got the developer's map it's really easy. just select the system you want to edit and hit cmd-e, which will bring up the system editor. then you can put planets into the system in the same way you put systems onto the map. as with the systems, you can double click a planet to edit it (the edit dialog is fairly self-explanatory). it sometimes has some problems with defense fleets, but the rest is great

------------------
if you find yourself in bed with a raving lunatic, don't worry: looks can be deceiving, it's probably not me

Originally posted by nighthawk:
**if you've got the developer's map it's really easy. just select the system you want to edit and hit cmd-e, which will bring up the system editor. then you can put planets into the system in the same way you put systems onto the map. as with the systems, you can double click a planet to edit it (the edit dialog is fairly self-explanatory). it sometimes has some problems with defense fleets, but the rest is great

Uh, not exactly. IIRC EV Developers Map has no provision for adding planets, you have to do that in ResEdit (or if you enjoy Russian roulette you could try EV-Edit 🙂 ).
EVO Developers Map, however, does have the full set of system/spob creation tools and works for either EV or EVO.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Call me an idiot (don't actually do that please 😉 ) but where does one get the EVO Dev Map? I checked the utilities page there, and no such thing was found...

------------------
Apply When Wet

In the EVO Developer's Map, what does MinCoolness mean when editing a planet? And what does Tech Level and Special Tech mean and what is the highest number I can go when editing a planet? Also, what does CustSnd mean when editing a planet?

------------------
----David----
----The Beloved----

Originally posted by The Space Between:
**In the EVO Developer's Map, what does MinCoolness mean when editing a planet? And what does Tech Level and Special Tech mean and what is the highest number I can go when editing a planet? Also, what does CustSnd mean when editing a planet?

MinCoolness refers to the players legal rating, positive being ood and negative being evil. For a planet to allow you to land, you legal record in the system must be at least as high as MinCoolness. The standard value for most spöbs in EV is -3, meaning they still allow you to land if you have 3 evilness points, but not more. If you want to create a "forbidden" spöb, which must like you a certain amount before it will let you land (i.e. Ruby), use a positive value here.

Tech Level and Special Tech determine what items are available for purchase at the Outfit and Shipyards, if they exist. Any items with a tech level at or below the systems tech level will be available. Also, any items with a tech level exactly matching any of the 3 Special Tech fields will also be available. Additionally, Tech Level controls the amount of tribute the player receives after dominating a planet. Tribute payed per day is Tech Level x 1000 credits. All three special tech fields are optional, set to -1 if unused.

CustSnd is he ID of an ambient noise you want played while the player is landed, if any. The Buzzbird noise from Topaz comes to mind, or the storms of Spica. This is where you put the ID number of a sound for that spöb, if you want one. This along with CustPictID are optional, set to -1 if unused.

There, that should help you out. Let me know if you have any more questions, so I can waste a couple minutes typing up a lengthy answer. 😛

------------------
- Macavenger | e-mail: (url="http://"mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com")mailto:e-gamerguy1@home.com(/url)e-gamerguy1@home.com

Originally posted by ZenMastaT:
**Call me an idiot (don't actually do that please;) ) but where does one get the EVO Dev Map? I checked the utilities page there, and no such thing was found...

You are an.........

.....uninformed person on certain obscure bits of information.

The EVO Dev Map should be on the utilities page, either for EV or EVO, but I admit i haven't looked recently since I got a copy directly from the author when it was released. Maybe Pontus didn't send it to Ambrosia or perhaps it got lost. Anyway you can get the DevMap and many other useful utilities at
(url="http://"http://members01.chello.se/warlordpontus/ev/index.html")http://members01.che...s/ev/index.html(/url)

If you don't have it, be sure to check out the EVO Formula Calc, too, great little utility.

------------------
Joe Burnette
"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer