Some issues

Well, it's a good and very addictive game, but there are some minor issues that makes the game less than great! OTOH, I've only got the demo version so it's possible that some of these things are fixed in the full game.

1. Your weapon and shield do not change when you get new classes of weapons. It looks a bit ridiculous when your character walks around with a sword when you've got an axe equipped! This is perhaps something that could be taken care of in a plug-in. Or is the Coldstone unable to do this?

2. When talking to some of the townsfolk it seems that the things they say are a bit unappropriate and almost unfinished. Someone says "Hi sir", the Kobolds you're supposed to kill are "damn Kobolds" according to your quest log! This might be a small issue, but it does make the game feels like it was put together a bit too fast.

Don't get me wrong here, I think that PoG is a great game, but it could have been even better!

------------------
I never knew it would be so difficult to think of a good signature.

Originally posted by Mr Always:
**Well, it's a good and very addictive game, but there are some minor issues that makes the game less than great! OTOH, I've only got the demo version so it's possible that some of these things are fixed in the full game.

Glad to hear you're having fun with it!

1. Your weapon and shield do not change when you get new classes of weapons. It looks a bit ridiculous when your character walks around with a sword when you've got an axe equipped! This is perhaps something that could be taken care of in a plug-in. Or is the Coldstone unable to do this?

That would require rendering artwork for every possible combination -- we decided it would be more worthwhile to spend our energies on other parts of the game.

2. When talking to some of the townsfolk it seems that the things they say are a bit unappropriate and almost unfinished. Someone says "Hi sir", the Kobolds you're supposed to kill are "damn Kobolds" according to your quest log! This might be a small issue, but it does make the game feels like it was put together a bit too fast.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is wrong with "Hi sir" or "damn Kobolds"? Pillars of Garendall was not put together too fast, trust me. 🙂

Don't get me wrong here, I think that PoG is a great game, but it could have been even better!

Well, you're just spent a few minutes with the demo -- let's see what you think after spending a few days or weeks with the full game. 🙂

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

1. The weapons issue could have been avoided if it used the accual models, instead of sprites.

2. Are you talking about the fact it curses?

I have to agree with him on issue number 1, Andrew. That, and the model textures could have been a little more extravagant than they were. I think the storyline and artwork (not gprahics, the artwork. Like the drawn stuff at the beging) is really good. I just don't like the graphics that they have done (no offence meant guys, good try, I just think you could have done better with the time you took.)

Did the team who did this do both grpahics AND coding? that might explain a lot. the place I work at has like 4 people working on graphics at a time, and like 2 or 3 other people doing the coding. I'm not sure what the situation was here, but I really think this has more potential than what has been already created. At anyrate, Once the coldstone engine is release (or is it alread?), I will definitly try my hand at it 🙂 Enough babble...

------------------
-Kyle "Vader" Blessing
-May the force be with you

(Edit = Spelling correction)

(This message has been edited by Vader (edited 08-26-2001).)

Originally posted by Vader:
I have to agree with him on issue number 1, Andrew. That, and the model textures could have been a little more extravagant than they were.

I don't think you understand the issues involved -- you don't just "make the models" -- there are design tradeoffs to every method. We made a design choice, and for this game, I think it was a good one.

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Well, maybe you could have made, like three models, one with a sword, one with an axe, and one with something else. You didn't have to make a new set of models for each weapon, just for each class of weapons. Could this be done with Coldstone when it comes out? Someone could make a plug-in addressing this problem, or maybe you could fix it in v1.1 (or v1.0.1).
As for the graphics, I like the way they look. They give it a light-hearted feel, and the game would probably not run very well if every last detail of the human anotomy.
And the "damn Kobolds" and "Hi sir" thing... um... I have no idea what your talking about.
I think, as Anatole has said, that PoG is a very good game. I didn't really pay attention to it until it was out on the 24th (yes, the 24th, it just wasn't annonced then) I downloaded in the morning of the 25th and registered it soon afterwards.

And also...
j00 sh411 f411 u||d3r th3 wr4th 0f /me's c14ym0r3!!!! j00 w111 f411!!!!
Oops, i kinda got carried away...

-------------------
"<Mirrorman> Hector, Mirr?"
"<hector> Mirr is just a broken Mirrorman"

------------------
Signature 2.0 has entered beta.
It will be released this year.

Guys, I don't think Ambrosia intended to release the equivelant of Diablo II.

On #ev3, Andrew was comparing EV/O/3 and Pog, and mentioned that both are games that don't take themselves too seriously. And I think that's the point. PoG has a great storyline, fun graphics, and a great music track, but it's intended to be taken in with a smile!

Now for all you that are worrying your head off about "I have an ax, but my character is carrying a sword", don't take it so serioulsy! To quote one of the greater minds on this weboard,

"relax, it's just a game" 🙂

------------------
-Macros
"No, no no...not the road less traveled....take the subway. It's faster."

Originally posted by Vader:
**1) The weapons issue could have been avoided if it used the accual models, instead of sprites.

I have to agree with him on issue number 1, Andrew. That, and the model textures could have been a little more extravagant than they were. I think the storyline and artwork (not gprahics, the artwork. Like the drawn stuff at the beging) is really good. I just don't like the graphics that they have done (no offence meant guys, good try, I just think you could have done better with the time you took.)

I like the graphics. I think they are very well done, however, having a sword when you have an axe or spear just plain stinks. But it is not a big deal unless you make it one.

------------------
Apple Computer - The name of microsoft's research and development division
--------------------------------

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
But it is not a big deal unless you make it one.

Which is usually the case with "big deals". 😉

------------------
The most dangerous people are the followers in positions of power.
(url="http://"http://www.nohate.f2s.com")Don't Hate Me(/url) | (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/phpBB/")Unofficial Boards(/url)