Can I get some Help here?!

I have been trying to make a plug-in for who knows how long, and have never succeeded. The Programs I am using are Apple ResEdit 2.1.3, Schmelta-V, and EV-Edit. If anyone can help me out in learning to use these programs I would reall appreciate it.

------------------
Signed,
Scott
scottay2hottay14@hotmail.com

I can't offer any help, but a word of advice: stay away from EV Edit. More advice: If you need to make new systems/planets, use EVO Developers map. Works for EV and EVO. Much better than EEV developers map.

------------------
"...Until next time, take care of yourselves, and each other." Jerry Springer

Originally posted by BattleDoctor:
**stay away from EV Edit. More advice: If you need to make new systems/planets, use EVO Developers map. Works for EV and EVO. Much better than EEV developers map.

I totally agree. Also, Schemlta-V places a 0 instead of a 1 in the CanAbort field. This needs to be fixed with ResEdit for a given mission every time you merely open that mission and save. I also recommend the EV Bible Annotate Edition by Andrew Glasgow. The EVBAE can be found in the archives, the Beginner's ResEdit Guide for EV by Raymond Hachey is also pretty useful.

I also recommend Plug Checker by DYNA Systems and EV Formula Calc, EV MissionBits Reporter, and EV Mission Text Exporter each by Pontus Ilbring. These should also be in the archive.

Also, if you have already started with EV Edit, be sure to look through your plugin with ResEdit (also use its verify feature) for errors.

Good luck, Captain.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/ev_scourge/")www.geocities.com/ev_scourge/(/url)

Dissent: the current version of EV-Edit is as stable as anything else out there. It is certainly more stable than Schmelta-V.

Warning: No matter what editor you are using, always keep backups in case of trouble.

Thanks: To IonStorm—I did not know about Schmelta-V and the Can Abort field. Explains a lot. Thanks!

------------------
PlanetPhil
not drowning, waving

I beg to differ with some views on EV-edit. I have used various versions of it for a few years now, making plug ins for both EV and EV:O. I haven't had any trouble with later versions, and I don't have any problems with the map system and developing universes. I make my own ships, dudes, systems, and missions. I find it quite easy to use once you read through the guide. I very rarely use other programmes to make plug-ins (occasionaly using a version of res-edit to tidy any loose ends up), so really it's a matter of personal opinion. I recommend that you experiment with all the applications available to see what you prefer, because I know for a fact that as a someone is reading this they could well be shaking their head vigorously ina disagreement. It's your own choice, but I think EV-Edit is great, though the plugs can swell the memory requirements quite a lot if they're big.

------------------

Originally posted by cable_guy:
**I beg to differ with some views on EV-edit. I have used various versions of it for a few years now, making plug ins for both EV and EV:O. I haven't had any trouble with later versions, and I don't have any problems with the map system and developing universes. I make my own ships, dudes, systems, and missions. I find it quite easy to use once you read through the guide. I very rarely use other programmes to make plug-ins (occasionaly using a version of res-edit to tidy any loose ends up), so really it's a matter of personal opinion. I recommend that you experiment with all the applications available to see what you prefer, because I know for a fact that as a someone is reading this they could well be shaking their head vigorously ina disagreement. It's your own choice, but I think EV-Edit is great, though the plugs can swell the memory requirements quite a lot if they're big.

Maybe the newer versions ARE stable. I don't know cause I've kept EV-Edit as far away as possible after trying it. Much is the same for many plug developers. They tried one of the older versions(new version at that time) and found it full of bugs and marked it in their memory as - OK Interface.... but Full of Bugs. Worst Editor for EV... etc...
of course this might just be my opinion and I have yet to try the newest version of EV-Edit.

------------------
???

Thanks guys, I had no idea that there were still this many people that used MACs. Anyway. I'm also trying to use MACANISTRO for my 3-D editing. I'm learning how to I mean. Is it really a good progran? What programs do you use?

------------------
Signed,
Scott

Do you think that maybe some of you could help me in making a ship?

------------------
Signed,
Scott

Originally posted by IonStorm:
I totally agree. Also, Schemlta-V places a 0 instead of a 1 in the CanAbort field. This needs to be fixed with ResEdit for a given mission every time you merely open that mission and save.

Actually this doesn't really matter since the can abort field is basically ignored in both EV and EVO.

As for mechanisto, kwanza is known to be the master of that program.

Chamrin

Originally posted by Chamrin:
**Actually this doesn't really matter since the can abort field is basically ignored in both EV and EVO.

Chamrin**

Yeah, I heard that it doesn't work very well, so don't use it. Maybe that'll be fixed in EVN.

------------------
To Escape Velocity: Nova and Beyond!
--------------
Millennium. Its coming, prepare for it.
Coming to the (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiaSW.com/games/ev/chronicles.html")EV Chronicles(/url).

Originally posted by Cpt. Johnson:
**I have been trying to make a plug-in for who knows how long, and have never succeeded. The Programs I am using are Apple ResEdit 2.1.3, Schmelta-V, and EV-Edit. If anyone can help me out in learning to use these programs I would reall appreciate it.

get the EV bible and read it a lot it should be here on the site somewhere. then start by playing around with the EV scenario until you understand how resources work. from there you should be able to make your own plug!! 😉 😉 hee hee

------------------
-Asmodaethur