Which is better, Confeds or Rebels?

I add myself to the ranks of the Confeds. I think they are the good guys since they try to stop drug smuggling. The Rebels don't care. Also, they refer to th eRebels as traitors, and in the mission to stop Confed defectors it says the OFFICERs are defecting. I think this mean sthe rebels are generals who got fed up with the Federation after the great war. Otherwise the Confeds would call them rebels, or country yokels from backwater planets. But not traitors. Just my thoughts.

------------------

Here is a reason to side with the rebellion withour intro text (which i never read for a long time when i first started, but still went with rebels.: In japanese (nihongo) "satori" means "enlightenment" or, so I see a subdle hint here, thats no coincidence.

------------------
~(^..^)

There are a number of factors most of you are forgetting when you compare the ships. First of all, in the argument about the destroyer vs. the frigate, the destroyer has a higher shield recharge rate. This helps it greatly. In battles where both ships start out in the system already, (such as when you just jumped in or left a planet) the destroyer will win most of the time. However, if one of the ships jumps in after the other has been there for a while, the new ship has a distinct disadvantage in that the ship that was there first can get a few extra shots off before the other has completed the jump.

More on this later...

------------------
(Insert witty remark here)

Cotton Mouse wrote:
**Here is a reason to side with the rebellion withour intro text (which i never read for a long time when i first started, but still went with rebels.: In japanese (nihongo) "satori" means "enlightenment" or, so I see a subdle hint here, thats no coincidence.

With all due respect, what kind of new player would care to translate planet names to Japanese?

------------------
--------------------
Always loyal
to the Confederation

I am not a new player. I've been playing since 1.0.1, and I only learned that tidbit last week in my japaneese class.

------------------
~(^..^)

I personally prefer the rebels, because I like to plunder ships, and the rebels let you get away with it in their space. If you try it in confed space you get blasted.

I dont know if anyone will read this out not but I belive its the rebles. Thier ships are more ballanced. They arent super powerfull and big making them slow so they can intercept targets beter than the confeds in the capital ship range. Thier mantas are far faster altho weaker and they have cloaking tractor beams and more. Ask yourself if you have a 300 pound sword that is the biggest in the world. Would you be ablle to use it?

------------------
Ah to the Shadow I embrace, I become of.

Let's see, where was I? Oh yes. Rebels ships vs. Confed ships. Last time, I mentioned a few factors that assist in determining who will win in a one-on-one battle. One additional factor that must be considered is that the AI responds differently on different Macs. For instance, on my IIci, ships that carry torpedoes rarely fire them. About the only time they do fire is when I'm holding their target stationary with the tractor beam. On the other hand, on the powermacs I've used, the torpedoes are used quite often. Of course, on the powermac 5200 and 5500 I've played on, the frigates still didn't use them when going against a destroyer.
Also, when in a system with asteroids, If you keep your distance from the battling ships, (ie don't let them or their weapons on the screen), none of their shots will hit the asteroids since the asteroids don't extend past the edge of the screen. (some new people may not realize this, but it's true.)

Okay, enough about the Frigates and Destroyers. Now, on to the cruisers...

Most people agree that a confed cruiser, complete with all standard weapons, can take out a stock rebel cruiser. Of course, both ships have fighters, but the mantas deploy faster, giving a slight advantage. However, if all the fighters are eliminated, and both cruisers still have good shields and a good supply of ammo, the rebel cruiser can take down the confed cruiser. It still doesn't happen all that often, but it is not impossible. I have seen it happen at least a few times. This is also affected by the CPU, since the confed has Torpedoes and probably won't fire them on a slower CPU.

That's about enough for now, don't you think? Yawn

------------------
(Insert witty remark here)

Oooh- heehee. I found some old posts to reply to- musta missed these the first time. ๐Ÿ™‚ Soooo- let's go.

Bozorg wrote:
Basilisk:

I MEANT CRUISERS, DAMMIT.

Well then you should have specified cruisers, instead of getting all aggro just 'cause I can't read your mind. ๐Ÿ˜›

I USED AI VS. HUMAN BECAUSE THERE IS NO WAY OF CONFRONTING HUMAN VS. HUMAN;ONLY AI VS AI OR HUMAN VS. AI.

Well don't you think AI vs. AI would be more fair? Or don't you want to give the Reb ships any chance? ๐Ÿ˜›

ANYONE WHO CAN SWITCH BETWEEN TORPEDOES AND FLARES WITH A DECENT SPEED.

Uh, that didn't make any sense, y'know. Try double-checking what you say before the whole world sees it.

MAYBE, BUT ONLY HUMAN SHIPS CAN USE THAT F*** JAMMER.**

So? You can use it if you work for the Rebels- not just if you do the 'Feds dirty work. ๐Ÿ˜›

AND THE ONLY TIME I HAVE SEEN REBELS WIN IN A SYSTEM WITH ASTEROIDS IS WHEN THEY MASSIVELY OUTNUMBER THE CONFEDERATED SHIPS.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Geez. Someone needs to take a couple of deep breaths here, and I'm sure it isn't me.

MOST OF THOSE "PLANETS" ARE REALLY MOONS. THE LIFE QUALITY ON A GODDAMN MOON CANNOT BE COMPARED TO A FULL FLEDGED PLANET, FOR GREAT GOODNESS. THE GRAVITY IS LOWER ON A MOON(IN MOST CASES).

Reb moons, Reb moons. Hmmm. Rupert, Alkaidon, Emerald, uh that's it I think. There are actually more 'Fed moons than Rebs- check your facts, bozo. ๐Ÿ˜›

THOSE CONFED PLANETS YOU MENTION, THE OLY ONES I CAN THINK OF ARE RUBY, NEW SAHARA, AND MAYBE NEW FRANCE.

So? Just because they're the only ones you can think of doesn't mean they're the only ones. ๐Ÿ˜›

BUT, IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS ABOUT PLANETS, THE INDEPENDENT ONES KICK A*S, MAN.

So? This isn't a planet discussion. ๐Ÿ˜›

Understand Basilisk that I hold nothing personal against you.

No. You're just insulting me through my preferrence of govt. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I am just defending my pro-Confed ideals.

With a little bit more fervour than I'd have expected. How much money have they given you? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Do not be surprised if I just make up some things that favor the ยดFeds.

I wouldn't be surprised if you made things up. You seem to be the sort of person who would do that.

------------------
-Basilisk-

"You're doing it again." "Doing what?" "Glowing." "Does it show?"

AIM: EVBasilisk

Bozorg wrote:
I do not think it is sane to take part in an open and armed revolt against the planet that gave birth to your race.

Uh- just one point. They aren't rebelling against the Earth. They're rebelling against the Confederation. The two are distinctly different, and I can't see how you could get them confused.

In some way, it is like attacking your parents.

See above. Anyways, what's so bad about attacking your parents? ๐Ÿ™‚

I admire how the rebels rose so fast to a position aof power, starting almost from zero, but theri ways do not coincide with my way of doing things.

Uh huh. So you're going to attack their ships, their motives, their planets, their supporters etc- just because you don't agree with them?

If their ships are faster, which seems to be what everybody out there thinks is most important, then it is because they were originally designed to conduct SURPRISE RAIDS, not to defend humanityยดs homeworld.

And there's something bad about that? Seriously man, take a look. They weren't just made faster for raiding- would you say the 'Fed ships were made slow because they were designed to defend humanityยดs homeworld?

------------------
-Basilisk-

Bozorg wrote:
**A scattered group of planets(many of them moons)constantly being raided by either pirates or Confeds.

Uh- take an actual look at the Reb systems. They aren't scattered, just clumped. They're in several groups- that's all. Also, there are more moons under control of the Confederation than in the Rebellion. And the Rebel planets are not 'constantly being raided' anyway. Take a look. Or are you so pro-Fed and all that that you'll come under Rebel fire the moment you enter?

Or are you looking at pirate systems there? Most of them are moons, and there seems to be constant fighting there. They're also a long way apart. You didn't by some bizarre chance (or gross stupidity) happen to misread something did you? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
-Basilisk-

Knucklehead wrote:
Let's see, where was I? Oh yes. Rebels ships vs. Confed ships. Last time, I mentioned a few factors that assist in determining who will win in a one-on-one battle. One additional factor that must be considered is that the AI responds differently on different Macs. For instance, on my IIci, ships that carry torpedoes rarely fire them. About the only time they do fire is when I'm holding their target stationary with the tractor beam. On the other hand, on the powermacs I've used, the torpedoes are used quite often. Of course, on the powermac 5200 and 5500 I've played on, the frigates still didn't use them when going against a destroyer.
Also, when in a system with asteroids, If you keep your distance from the battling ships, (ie don't let them or their weapons on the screen), none of their shots will hit the asteroids since the asteroids don't extend past the edge of the screen. (some new people may not realize this, but it's true.)

True, on my 350 MHz G3, the AI is so terrible or I'm too good for the AI. ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Andrew Meilstrup / JAE / Coruscant Software, unInc.

(url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/")My website(/url), (url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/corusoft/")the Coruscant Software website(/url)

(url="http://"mailto:ajmeilstrup@mac.com")mailto:ajmeilstrup@mac.com(/url)ajmeilstrup@mac.com

yourmonkey wrote:
It is impossible to say if that the Rebels are "good" and the Confederation is "evil" without any background. The reverse is also true.

we have plenty of background...the intro text!!! it serves as all the background we'll ever need. it specifically states that the confederates raped the outside worlds.

any questions children?

now with the whole ship argument...
the confederate's ships are better than the rebels...period! yeah i'm a rebel (well i am when you have to chose between rebels and confederates, because i'm actually a pirate) but when you put them against each other they will either tie, or the confeds will win.

have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Jeremy Woodruff wrote:

**yourmonkey wrote:

but when you put them against each other they will either tie, or the confeds will win.

In the case of the Manta and the Crusier yes, but not the destroyer. The destroyer wins the majority of battles against the Frigate, and this is a proven fact (look at the post at the top of page 2).

------------------
100 bottles of beer on the wall, 100 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it arround, 99 bottles of beer on the wall.....

Heh, someone finally noticed me. Yes, they were pretty close, but the destroyer did unbiasedly (well ok, I do like the rebels better, but I didn't change any of the stats) have an advantage.

------------------
-Shade

(url="http://"http://www.crosswinds.net/~shadeofblue/")EV:O Revenge(/url)

"I hate you more than ever Milkman Dan."
-Katie, from RedMeat.

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion(/url)

I feel that the true answer to this question can only be decided by the individual.

If you feel the urge to defend the concepts of freedom equality and free speech, then the rebels are by far the better choice, if you hunger for power, have a sadistic streak or merely like to kick everyone else's ass then go confed.

Bear in mind that while less well defended the rebel ships are slightly faster and often more maneuverable than their confed equivalent.

Remember the words of a wise wise man.......

(With a cockney accent)

Always look on the bright side of life,

De dum de dumde dumde dum.

๐Ÿ™‚ bye for now

------------------
John Browning
Aspiring plug developer

Basilisk wrote:

If their ships are faster, which seems to be what everybody out there thinks is most important, then it is because they were originally designed to conduct SURPRISE RAIDS, not to defend humanityยดs homeworld.

And there's something bad about that? Seriously man, take a look. They weren't just made faster for raiding- would you say the 'Fed ships were made slow because they were designed to defend humanityยดs homeworld?

(/B)

Well, not exactly Basilisk. The designers cared to put some extra weapons on their ships. This added extra mass, which made the ships slower.

------------------
--------------------
Always loyal
to the Confederation

Basilisk wrote:
**Bozorg wrote:
(b)A scattered group of planets(many of them moons)constantly being raided by either pirates or Confeds.
(B)

Or are you looking at pirate systems there? Most of them are moons, and there seems to be constant fighting there. They're also a long way apart. You didn't by some bizarre chance (or gross stupidity) happen to misread something did you? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

My friend, did you by some bizarre chance (or gross mental retardment) miss the part where I said RAIDED BY PIRATES? Because I have never seen a pirate ship raiding a pirate system.

------------------
--------------------
Always loyal
to the Confederation

Bozorg wrote:
**Well, not exactly Basilisk. The designers cared to put some extra weapons on their ships. This added extra mass, which made the ships slower.

Actually, the Rebel Destroyer has more weapons than the Confederate Frigrate, so Nananahbooboo! ๐Ÿ˜›

------------------
-Shade

(url="http://"http://www.crosswinds.net/~shadeofblue/")EV:O Revenge(/url)

"I hate you more than ever Milkman Dan."
-Katie, from RedMeat.

(url="http://"http://www.theonion.com")The Onion(/url)

ShadeOfBlue wrote:
**Actually, the Rebel Destroyer has more weapons than the Confederate Frigrate, so Nananahbooboo!:p

Maybe, my Rebel friend, but the fedยดs cruiser has more weapons (and shields) than the rebelยดs cruiser.

------------------
--------------------
Always loyal
to the Confederation