Plugin Install problems

I seem to be having some problems unpacking plugins from Ambrosia's EV addons page. For example, I downloaded Pale 1.9, which comes in a .sit.bin file. Stuffit Expander was able to unpack the .bin, but it couldn't expand the resulting .sit. Should SE be able to cope with this file?

On the other hand, Alpha Console gave me no such trouble. So what's going on here?

------------------
--Captain Carrot

Try using MacBinary II+ first to decode the downloaded file. This should produce a file named "Pale1.9.sit," which you can then expand using Stuffit Expander.

------------------
PlanetPhil

if you lived here, you'd be home by now

Well, at least MacBinary II+ gives me an error code, so I know that's the problem. I've downloaded Pale multiple times now, and each time I get the error. I'm using Netscape; could it be Netscape that's corrupting the files? If so, what would you recommend as an alternative?

------------------
--Captain Carrot

Originally posted by CaptainCarrot:
**Well, at least MacBinary II+ gives me an error code, so I know that's the problem. I've downloaded Pale multiple times now, and each time I get the error. I'm using Netscape; could it be Netscape that's corrupting the files? If so, what would you recommend as an alternative?

Read this exchange first, Captain:

Soul
unregistered
posted 06-20-2000 03:06 PM

LoneIgadzra wrote:

What Pale plug-ins should I have in my plug-ins folder? I've got Pale intro, Pale v1.8 Data 1, paletitles, ZPalev1.8 Data 2, and ZPalev1.9b Data 2. I don't know if those are the files that the latest version consists of either. I'm also wondering if "Mission Patch 1.0" is compatible with Pale. (Its a little plug-in that weeds out the bugs in the Confed and Rebel missions and (snip)

Sorry!

I didn't mean to be rude. All of those plugs go in there. It's been a while since I've looked at the breakdown of the plugs, but I seem to remember that Pale intro has the music in it, Paletitles has the splash screen, Pale v1.8 data 1 and data 2 are the two segments of the plug-in. Zpalev1.9b data 2 is the v1.9 patch.

I think mission patch 1.0 is compatable. I haven't changed any bits from the rebel vs. confed combat missions.

Sorry about the oversight in my last response.

Ben

LoneIgadzra
posted 06-21-2000 10:41 PM

Ok, I didn't word it very well before, but I was just wondering if there was a plug-in in there that i didn't need to us because of another and one of them had a "b" in it and looked like it might be a beta.

------------------
- Lone "Darn, its not in the spellchecker!" Igadzra

Soul
unregistered
posted 06-27-2000 07:04 AM

Actually, the 1.9b patch is the final version.

It was originally the beta, but it was play-tested and finalized.

I worked on Pale for 20 hours a week for a year and a half before I released just the 1.0 version. Then put another 5mhours a week for the next 8 or 9 months to get it to version 1.9 (tweaking and tuning and such). By the time I got done with v1.9, I was just too burned out to to anything more to it. That's why the 1.9 b is there.

I made an updated 'full release version' of Pale. I think Andrew got a copy of v1.9 (where all files are built to v1.9 - no patch required) and uploaded it to the EV archives section.

Where Senior el Presidente got it is a mystery to me.... đŸ˜ƒ

Ben

So here's what I know: I reset the preferences in Netscape to have the browser save .sit and .bin files to disk rather than have them automatically expanded. Then I downloaded the Pale file located at Ambrosia. When I used MacBinary II+ to decode it, I got an error code, just as you did (error code -39, whatever that means). But it still yielded a .sit file called "Pale1.9.sit." I then used Stuffit Expander 5.5 on it, and got a "Pale Folder" containing two plugs: "Pale v1.9 Data 1" and "ZPalev1.9 Data 2."

As to what files are actually necessary to play Pale, and what version is the real latest version...I sure couldn't tell you, even with the correspondence quoted above. I can tell you that the other files mentioned—"Pale intro," et cetera—are still available for d/l at (url="http://"http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/astrology/90/")the Pale website(/url). Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

------------------
PlanetPhil

if you lived here, you'd be home by now

Turned out my problem was a pre-5.0 version of Expander. Got the most recent version and - A MIRACLE!!! IT'S HEALED!!!

------------------
--Captain Carrot

I was sitting in front of my computer, wanting to throw it out of the window (I live on the 6th floor) because I couldn't get some EV files unstuffed..Used all kinds of programs, Virex, Stuffit, ZipIt you name it.....But nothin worked...Then I upgraded my Stuffit and what....Halleluja, it worked..... Later, I looked into the old Stuffit program so I could make an attempt to find the difference and there it was, in the Help Manual at the bottom of the 3rd page it says written tiny: "Users may encounter some difficulties with Netscape Communicator....."...

------------------
"Terrorists are here to terrorise"!
-Quote from Vladmimir Ilich Ulianov alias Lenin-