Playable for Deaf?

I just downloaded and tried Aquaria, and I haven't the vaguest idea of what is going on. I have the sound turned off, because I can't hear it anyway, as I am deaf. And I wondered from some of the help if the sound is necessary to play the game?

No, just enable subtitles.

I think it would be hard to play, but you could do it with the help of a few spoilers i.e., there's one part where one of the songs sung in the music must be played by the player, but even that has the inscription written on a wall. Aquaria's sound and music are a very large part of the game's appeal, but certainly not do-or-die.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 15 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Usually you can figure out what is being sung by the color of the notes that appear, except in one later part of the game. (The Sunken City and the song of the ghostly mother.) It's still possible to figure out on your own, I suppose, but it'll be a lot harder without the rhythm you're given in the audio.

:come out of lurking:
I must say that I am impressed to see a deaf person playing the game. Just the subtitle, but feel the music on the screen.

I learned the ghost mother’s song via the inscription—I treated the blank spaces as “dittos”. While the sound and music are a huge part of the game, it isn’t impossible, or even that much harder, to play without them.

I can't think of anywhere that it would be impossible, as long as subtitles are turned on. The musical interface will obviously be more of a challenge, but I think there's always somewhere that you can find the symbols for the notes written on screen.

Check that, there is one place that it is significantly harder (unlocking Li from his prison), but even that shouldn’t be (mainly because it’s good practice to just sing the Ghost Mother’s song/the Verse whenever you see Eric/the Creator child).

CRAP damn dial-up double-post. Could a mod please delete this one? Thanks…

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy : 21 April 2009 - 06:46 PM