Where can I learn to make Plugins?

I was wondering if there is a difinitive or at least a pretty good place where I can go to find out how to make plugins. I don't know where to start or anything and I am really wanting to try. Is there a hangout or a web board that could help me or a page that has a starters guide?
The Madcap Magician

------------------
There are no stupid questions. Just stupid people.

lots of places to learn how to make plug-ins, and you just found one, as a newbie, a good way to make plug-ins is to use ev-edit...and maybe a little schmelta-v, both which can be found at the utilities section on this site.

then, once you get the hang of it, start using res-edit...

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Dont use EVEdit! EvEdit is evil! Well, buggy anyways. It will make screwed up plugings.... Use ResEdit and Shmelta-V. Only use EVedit for systems or something...

------------------
--Rebel

true, it's very buggy, but is good when you're just starting out, then work into resedit etc

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

Originally posted by The Madcap Magician:
**I was wondering if there is a difinitive or at least a pretty good place where I can go to find out how to make plugins. I don't know where to start or anything and I am really wanting to try. Is there a hangout or a web board that could help me or a page that has a starters guide?
The Madcap Magician

There is no definitive place or document that tells you everything you need to know about how to make plug-ins. This board is a good place to start, also the Developers' Corner forum on this site. There are a number of guldes and reference materials you should have: The EV/EVO Bible, preferably the annotated edition is a necessity. The ResEdit Beginner's Guide is good introduction to ResEdit for plug making and contains much valuable information even for those who do not use ResEdit. EV Objects Formulas and the EV Plug-In Making FAQ contain information and tips you may not find anywhere else.

There are a number of applications you will need, and some that are not essential nut will make things easier. First of course is ResEdit, absolutely essential unless you are willing to spend $200 for Resorceror. Even if you use EV-Edit, you will need a resource editor to work on some resources that EV-Edit cannot handle, and to clean up the messes left by EV-Edit. EV Plug Checker is also a necessity for debugging your plugs. Schmelta-V is a very good mission editor, though it is not bug-free it is much easier to use than ResEdit. If you do not use EV-Edit (sound decision) EvDeveloper's Map and EVO Developers Map are almost ncessities for placing or moving systems. EV Formula Calc can save lots of time and effort by calculating resource ID numbers. The complementary EV text Exporter and Text Importer make editing the text in a plug-in much easier. Flagmaker takes the pain out of calculating the hexadecimal flags used in a number of EV/O resources. For the graphic components of a plug you will need some additional applications, but I will leave discussion of those to people who know about them.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer