Uridium

What's it for? I don't remember whether uridium is prized in EV as a fuel for starships, or as an explosive, or as a breakfast cereal, or what, exactly.

------------------
PlanetPhil

'May I ask what brings the scantily-clad god of vengence to this scrofulous location?'
'Why, vengence, of course.'
Ā—"Creatures of Light and Darkness," Roger Zelazny

It's to twist people's imaginations. šŸ˜ƒ Seriously, I believe it's for the fuel

------------------
OpenGL Avara!

AIM: EVAndrewM

"I haven't seen myself lately, AndrewM."
Ā— GreenYO, #ev

If I had to guess, since the price of metal plummets on spica whenever they find a new vein of the stuff, It's most likely a metal. Also, in at least one plugin, it's used as armor plating, which is about twice as strong (and heavy) as tritanium.

------------------
Knucklehead, Aeon Productions

=======================

(Insert witty remark here)

It's probably like the "Noodle Incident" in Calvin and Hobbes - just left up to your imagination.

------------------
Formerly COpperman - #29 on the Periodic Table

kroekers@home.com

Pave the Rainforest

Well, I don't know if this had any influence on the use of Uridium in EV, but here's a bit of nostalgia. Uridium was the name of a space combat game released for the C-64 (as well as couple of other platforms) in the 1980's. It would eventually spawn a sequel and was quite popular among arcade minded types at the time.
The following is an excerpt from info on the Uridium website (Yes, indeed there is a web site. (url="http://"http://hem.passagen.se/godabe/uridium/game.html):")http://hem.passagen....idium/game.html):(/url)

"Have you ever wondered what the word "Uridium" means? At first it might sound like a metal, but there are no metals with that name(closest to "Uridium" is Iridium). The name "Uridium" may have puzzled many and it seemed that there was no answer. Until I noticed this little comment in the manual: Name created by Robert 'I thought it really existed' Orchard. So the solution is very simple, "Uridium" does not mean anything it is just a word made by someone called Robert Orchard."

Well, the spelling is the same anyway. And, speaking of older games, does anyone remember Starflight? Did you too spend hours scouring the landscape for Endurium deposits? Well, if not, you missed out. Starflight was in some ways quite similar to EV (albeit with lesser quality graphics).
What does all this have to do with Uridium you ask? Nothing, accept Endurium is another fictional substance given reality by the imagination of a game designer, and I just couldn't resist mentioning another classic game.

------------------

Originally posted by Kilvain:
Well, the spelling is the same anyway. And, speaking of older games, does anyone remember Starflight? Did you too spend hours scouring the landscape for Endurium deposits? Well, if not, you missed out. Starflight was in some ways quite similar to EV (albeit with lesser quality graphics).
What does all this have to do with Uridium you ask? Nothing, accept Endurium is another fictional substance given reality by the imagination of a game designer, and I just couldn't resist mentioning another classic game.

Endurium is also in the planetary conquest strategy game Deadlock. It's a special sort of metal, logically enough.

------------------
"His Strangelove All-Purpose Do-It-Yourself Defensive First Second or Third Strike Indestructible Fantastic State-of-the-Art B-Ware Offensive Attack Bomber can't compare with our M & M E & A Sub-Supersonic Invisible and Noiseless Defensive Second-Strike Offensive Attack Bomber."
- from Closing Time , by Joseph Heller.