Gandalf -- Mugabi problem

Great looking plug! However, the map is goofy on my monitor: It appears shoved into the top left corner (so not all of it is visible) & has weird scan lines around some of the new graphics.

I've been playing EV for a couple of years, & this is the first time a plug has behaved like this. Well, the rest of the plug looks fine, it's just the map part.

Viewed on an Apple Multiscan 15, 640x480, 256 colors. 20MB RAM assigned to EV, OS8.5.1 on a Performa 6115. Hardware's never failed me yet -- any thoughts?

------------------
Xopher

"I dreamt I was a butterfly, but when I awoke, I thought I might actually be a butterfly, dreaming that I was a man."
-- Chuang-tze (330 BCE)

Originally posted by Xopher:
**Great looking plug! However, the map is goofy on my monitor: It appears shoved into the top left corner (so not all of it is visible) & has weird scan lines around some of the new graphics.

I've been playing EV for a couple of years, & this is the first time a plug has behaved like this. Well, the rest of the plug looks fine, it's just the map part.

Viewed on an Apple Multiscan 15, 640x480, 256 colors. 20MB RAM assigned to EV, OS8.5.1 on a Performa 6115. Hardware's never failed me yet -- any thoughts?

I did stumble on this problem on one occasion, but I think it is to do with EV's odd way of pulling up the map once the player has re-sized or zoomed in or out. EV only uses the "regular" size map until the player zooms. From that moment on, EV only pulls up the small or large versions, distorting nebulae names (hence I left names out of the S/L versions). Because of the size of the nebula and the over-size map display table, this problem might occur.
I felt that the large new nebulae/map appearance was effective, and conceded that any funny lines with complete zooming would be an acceptable loss.
Once you quit the game and start where you left off the map will have returned to normal. I was ready to tear my hair out, but I wanted to have the big nebula! Had to eat my cake, sorry!
Thank-you for the feedback.
Someone else will probably know more about map quirks?

------------------
Mace means no.

Originally posted by Gandalf:
**I did stumble on this problem on one occasion, but I think it is to do with EV's odd way of pulling up the map once the player has re-sized or zoomed in or out. EV only uses the "regular" size map until the player zooms. From that moment on, EV only pulls up the small or large versions, distorting nebulae names (hence I left names out of the S/L versions). Because of the size of the nebula and the over-size map display table, this problem might occur.
I felt that the large new nebulae/map appearance was effective, and conceded that any funny lines with complete zooming would be an acceptable loss.
Once you quit the game and start where you left off the map will have returned to normal. I was ready to tear my hair out, but I wanted to have the big nebula! Had to eat my cake, sorry!
Thank-you for the feedback.
Someone else will probably know more about map quirks?

Actually, this bug occured with a brand-new pilot, & the very 1st time I pulled the map up. No zooming at all!

EV:O has a plug-in called Embigulator that enlarges the map viewer. I'm a Resedit moron, so I don't know if you could port this to EV -- but maybe this could be an answer?

Did this persist every time you checked the map? I will look into it, but I have not encountered it except for one occasion during testing. At that time I altered the large size map and it did not occur again.

----------------
Mace means no.

(This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited 05-24-2000).)

EV:O has a plug-in called Embigulator that enlarges the map viewer. I'm a Resedit moron, so I don't know if you could port this to EV -- but maybe this could be an answer?(/B)

Don't know if the Embigulator would help this particular problem - it only makes the map window larger. As far as porting Embigulator to EV, no problem; even I can do it (and have.) Just change the type and creator codes to those for an EV plug-in and stick it in the plug-ins folder.

------------------
Joe Burnette

"I find that humans can be divided into only two meaningful categories: Decent Humans and Sonsofbitches; both types appear to be evenly distributed
among all shapes, colors, sizes, and nationalities." -- Keith Laumer

Originally posted by Gandalf:
**Did this persist every time you checked the map? I will look into it, but I have not encountered it except for one occasion during testing. At that time I altered the large size map and it did not occur again.

Yep. Every time. All the time. Oh, in addition to cramming it into the top left corner (so legal status, etc. can't be seen) it also will not display the 'Clear Route' button.

Go figure.

------------------
Xopher

"I dreamt I was a butterfly, but when I awoke, I thought I might actually be a butterfly, dreaming that I was a man."
-- Chuang-tze (330 BCE)

**Yep. Every time. All the time. Oh, in addition to cramming it into the top left corner (so legal status, etc. can't be seen) it also will not display the 'Clear Route' button.

Go figure.

I downloaded a new copy, tested it for an hour, and could not find any of the problems you described. The only line I did find was to the right of the large new nebula at maximum zoom (which is unnecessary and unlikely to be used by anybody). This is the line that I described earlier and is caused by the nebula. I have to conclude that what you are experiencing is unrelated.
I do not know what to tell you, sorry!

------------------
Mace means no.

i think your problem may have to do with your using 640x480 resolution. i use 800x600, and it works fine, but the map field seems to fill up quite a lot of the screen, which may cause the field to be resized for the smaller res., i dunno. maybe the map got corrupted, and you should try to re-d/l if you have a quick connection so it'll be fast.

yeah, i have no idea...

------------------
-dammitRussman, kicker of asses at SC pball...

Cuz i can't stand it
gonna crash land it
in other words
consider me branded
another version of me
another version of you
both barrels
what are you gonna do?